Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Iowa vs. Sparty rewind.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Iowa vs. Sparty rewind.

Had some friends over last night to watch the B1G championship. No Hawk or Sparty fans among us. We were glued to the set on that final drive that MSU put together and what a drive it was. Not sure of the timing when Ferentz started calling timeouts but I think it was between 2 and 3 minute mark. Then we started talking. The writing was on the wall. The Iowa D was just wore down. We all agreed at that point in the game and Iowa nursing a 4 point lead that Iowa should have just let the Spartans score and save their TO's. Get your offense on the field with time to do something. Geez, just a FG would have sent it to OT. I know it is not particularly rational logic, but I would have played it that way. Am I wrong?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Iowa vs. Sparty rewind.

They came within a half yard of holding MSU on the 4th and 2 right after calling the timeouts. I think they played it right. That was their best shot to win.

4. Likes:

Chip R (12-06-2015),cumberlandreds (12-06-2015)

They also let MSU completely milk the clock. I dunno.

I know they let MSU milk the clock. My point was that their best chance to win was stopping MSU on that 4th and 2. It didn't happen, but they were more likely to get that stop than to get the ball back, drive down for a FG and win in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I know they let MSU milk the clock. My point was that their best chance to win was stopping MSU on that 4th and 2. It didn't happen, but they were more likely to get that stop than to get the ball back, drive down for a FG and win in OT.
    I understand that "philosophy". But they hadnt stopped them at all on that drive.......once again I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Had some friends over last night to watch the B1G championship. No Hawk or Sparty fans among us. We were glued to the set on that final drive that MSU put together and what a drive it was. Not sure of the timing when Ferentz started calling timeouts but I think it was between 2 and 3 minute mark. Then we started talking. The writing was on the wall. The Iowa D was just wore down. We all agreed at that point in the game and Iowa nursing a 4 point lead that Iowa should have just let the Spartans score and save their TO's. Get your offense on the field with time to do something. Geez, just a FG would have sent it to OT. I know it is not particularly rational logic, but I would have played it that way. Am I wrong?
    I don't think you're wrong but I also don't think Ferentz was wrong. Sparty hadn't scored a TD all day. As it turned out they barely scored that one. I'm not sure Iowa could have moved down the field against that defense to get into FG position even with 1-2 minutes left. Besides. you never know if MSU fumbles. I don't usually like to let a team score on purpose because of the possibility of a turnover (The IU Michigan game was an exception).
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yeah, you guys are right. Just saw a stat where Iowa never had a snap on the MSU side of the 50 in the entire 2nd half. Wow. Oh, well.....dont blame Ferentz a bit for the way he coached it. Damn fine game.

10. Likes:

Chip R (12-06-2015)

Turn Off Ads?