Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Jason Heyward signs with Cubs

Re: Jason Heyward signs with Cubs

After last night’s 0-fer-6 vs the Cards, Heyward has a .656 OPS in 113 PAs so far in 2018. In his Cubs career of 1186 PAs, he’s at .667.

Only about $130 million remaining on that contract that runs through the end of the 2023 season, Cubs fans.

Speaking of OFs who are completely lost, I was at the Giants-Braves game yesterday. Ender Inciarte (also batting 8th, just like Heyward) is an absolute mess right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    After last night’s 0-fer-6 vs the Cards, Heyward has a .656 OPS in 113 PAs so far in 2018. In his Cubs career of 1186 PAs, he’s at .667.

Only about $130 million remaining on that contract that runs through the end of the 2023 season, Cubs fans.

Speaking of OFs who are completely lost, I was at the Giants-Braves game yesterday. Ender Inciarte (also batting 8th, just like Heyward) is an absolute mess right now.
    He actually got a hit last night - his first hit on an offspeed pitch this season.

And the game winning home run went off his glove. (Tough chance but not a good look)

If the Cubs would pay a significant amount of Heyward's salary, would you trade Hamilton for him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If the Cubs would pay a significant amount of Heyward's salary, would you trade Hamilton for him?
    No. I think Schebler is a better player than Heyward at this point and I can't see Heyward being a legit replacement in CF.

Unless the Cubs want to cover so much of the salary that if Heyward is nothing more than a 4th OFer it isn't a big monetary commitment.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I’d do a favor for Kim Jong Un before I’d do a solid for the Cubs.

7. Likes:

boognish (05-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I’d do a favor for Kim Jong Un before I’d do a solid for the Cubs.
    How is that a solid for the Cubs? Heyward could be an upgrade for the Reds plus they would pay most of his salary.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

How is that a solid for the Cubs? Heyward could be an upgrade for the Reds plus they would pay most of his salary.
    An upgrade over who? Heyward is going on his 3rd straight season of being a 1.0 fWAR guy and that fWAR has been propped up by his defense which is on the decline and will continue to decline as he ages.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    An upgrade over who? Heyward is going on his 3rd straight season of being a 1.0 fWAR guy and that fWAR has been propped up by his defense which is on the decline and will continue to decline as he ages.
    Over Billy.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Over Billy.
    In what way? Sure, he is a better hitter than Billy, but that gap isn't very big. Both are well below average hitters. At least Billy has elite CF defense and elite base-running. Heyward has neither of those and we especially don't know what kind of negative hit his defense would take by moving to CF full time.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    In what way? Sure, he is a better hitter than Billy, but that gap isn't very big. Both are well below average hitters. At least Billy has elite CF defense and elite base-running. Heyward has neither of those and we especially don't know what kind of negative hit his defense would take by moving to CF full time.
    He's not perfect but beggars can't be choosers. Everyone hates how Billy's hitting and I doubt there would be few that wouldn't trade a little defense for some offense. Plus the Cubs get the offensive black hole that is Billy and have to pay his and most of Heyward's salary. We're putting Schebler in CF now. Heyward couldn't be worse.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

He's not perfect but beggars can't be choosers. Everyone hates how Billy's hitting and I doubt there would be few that wouldn't trade a little defense for some offense. Plus the Cubs get the offensive black hole that is Billy and have to pay his and most of Heyward's salary. We're putting Schebler in CF now. Heyward couldn't be worse.
    But Heyward is already worse then both those options. He is also essentially an offensive black hole. We need to target real improvements, not lateral moves while wishing for the best. If they want to cover so much money that Hewyard is a mildly costly 4th OFer, 2-4M per year, sure I’d do it.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-07-2018)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Stats By STATS
    @StatsBySTATS

Jason Heyward hit a walkoff grand slam to turn a 5-3 deficit into a 7-5 win.

The last @Cubs player to hit a walkoff grand slam with the team trailing? Ron Santo 50 years ago (September 25, 1968 vs. the Dodgers).

#EverybodyIn
    8:36pm · 6 Jun 2018
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I was listening to that game in my garage kinda half there, half not.. then Hayward came up and he had 2 strikes and I thought of this thread and then........

Boom!

The booth went nuts, crazy nuts... I liked it.

I like baseball, heroes and goats, heroes and goats.

18. Likes:

Ben Zinger (06-07-2018),cumberlandreds (06-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I was listening to that game in my garage kinda half there, half not.. then Hayward came up and he had 2 strikes and I thought of this thread and then........

Boom!

The booth went nuts, crazy nuts... I liked it.

I like baseball, heroes and goats, heroes and goats.
    I could hear a massive ROAR from Wrigley in my apartment (about a 15 minute walk) when it happened, it was the loudest I've heard since I've been here.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-07-2018),westofyou (06-07-2018)

Bump, because today seems like an appropriate day to highlight yet another year of criminally overpaid and incredibly underwhelming offensive production from Heyward.

Only 5 years and $105 million left to go, Cubs fans.

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-03-2018),BillDoran (10-03-2018),Chip R (10-03-2018),Griffey012 (10-03-2018),Jim (10-04-2018),M2 (10-03-2018),TRF (10-03-2018)

Turn Off Ads?