Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason Heyward signs with Cubs

Re: Jason Heyward signs with Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Heyward's "value" will go poof if they play him in CF, where he'll do well to be average. He's a steady, complimentary player. He probably ought to be platooned. Hope the Cubs spent an enormous sum of money for him.
    I don't double down on the accuracy of positional adjustments but if he is serviceable in CF that will shine up his WAR as far as offense is concerned, right?

I just don't think "poof" is the proper measure here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, even though I'm not overly happy to see him in Chicago, at least he's not staying with the Cardinals. Wish my team could afford him. Maybe we'll get him as a free agent when he's 37.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and [the St. Louis Cardinals]."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Heyward's "value" will go poof if they play him in CF, where he'll do well to be average. He's a steady, complimentary player. He probably ought to be platooned. Hope the Cubs spent an enormous sum of money for him.
    2 opt outs for him and 184 million.

Not enough EBH to warrant that big of deal IMO

5. Likes:

Crumbley (12-11-2015),REDREAD (12-11-2015),Tom Servo (12-11-2015)

This seems like the type of move that will either finally break the Cubs through the horrible curse. Or the type of move that people will look to as the first major mistake which took them down.

Not saying I hope it happens. But, it would so totally be the Cubs to see Heyward trip on the bullpen mound chasing a popup on Opening Day. Tearing his achilles.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 35m35 minutes ago
    #STLCards, who draft like nobodys business, with losses of lackey/Heyward now have 3 high picks in june draft

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 35m35 minutes ago
    Cubs lose two by signing both

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    This seems like the type of move that will either finally break the Cubs through the horrible curse. Or the type of move that people will look to as the first major mistake which took them down.

Not saying I hope it happens. But, it would so totally be the Cubs to see Heyward trip on the bullpen mound chasing a popup on Opening Day. Tearing his achilles.
    No, that would be the Indians. The Cubs, he'll play great until post-season and uncharacteristically shank a big play in the outfield and cost them the year (or blame it on a fan, inciting a riot). Or maybe start a big fire in Chicago and burn down half of the city.
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and [the St. Louis Cardinals]."--Benjamin Disraeli

I'd call Theo and see if he'd be willing to move Soler for Chapman and someone like Moscot now that Heyward will be roaming the OF for the next 8 years (and eventually Zobrist). Cubs are clearly going for it the next couple years.

Or conversely, try to tempt them with our Competitive A pick now that the Cubs won't be drafting until the third round. Perhaps they could add Torres if they expect Zobrist to stay at 2B, with Russell occupying SS.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-11-2015 at 04:45 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

11. Likes:

757690 (12-11-2015),Beltway (12-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd call Theo and see if he'd be willing to move Soler for Chapman and someone like Moscot now that Heyward will be roaming the OF for the next 8 years (and eventually Zobrist). Cubs are clearly going for it the next couple years.

Or conversely, try to tempt them with our Competitive A pick now that the Cubs won't be drafting until the third round. Perhaps they could add Torres if they expect Zobrist to stay at 2B, with Russell occupying SS.
    I'd go crazy, and offer them Disco for McKinney, Solar and Baez. That matches up well with what Miller went for.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That account is NSFW or the kiddies. Just be aware if you go in there.
    Man, if those are some of the best fans around I would hate to see some of the worst ones.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

14. Likes:

foxfire123 (12-12-2015),Revering4Blue (12-13-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Fair enough, over the time frames mentioned Bruce was 117 Heyward 114, with Heyward having the better overall "offensive" edge due to baserunning.

Now. Comping 7 year deals from 2013 and 2015 includes 14 MM worth of inflation for the 2015 deal. So the question is, is Heyward worth 46 MM more than Bruce in 2013 dollars?

Yes.
    Let's get back to my point: If the REds offered Bruce $130M after 2013, people would have gone NUTS about how much of an overpay it was. So the fact that Heyward is now getting $56M MORE than that.....

16. Likes:

BoxingRed (12-12-2015),Tom Servo (12-11-2015),TRF (12-11-2015)

Latest article I saw is that the Cubs are intending to flank Heyward with Schwarber and Soler. If that ends up being the case and they don't bite on a Soler deal, I'd go hard after McKinney, Almora, E.Jimenez and especially Gleyber Torres.

I could live with a package of Chapman and our competitive A pick for those four. Would also add an arm if they needed.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let's get back to my point: If the REds offered Bruce $130M after 2013, people would have gone NUTS about how much of an overpay it was. So the fact that Heyward is now getting $56M MORE than that.....
    I know. I just think the players aren't comparable so the example doesn't faze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Latest article I saw is that the Cubs are intending to flank Heyward with Schwarber and Soler. If that ends up being the case and they don't bite on a Soler deal, I'd go hard after McKinney, Almora, E.Jimenez and especially Gleyber Torres.

I could live with a package of Chapman and our competitive A pick for those four. Would also add an arm if they needed.
    If I were dealing with the Cubs, I'd try to deal veterans. Those high picks next June are pretty important to the Reds rebuild. I'd add an arm too, if it's someone Reds think is redundant.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Interesting that he got a year to sample life in the Cardinal organization (which won 100+ games) but elected to go to a division rival offering him less guaranteed money. And, oh yeah, Joey Votto is a bargain.
    Mack Jenkins's Pants

21. Likes:

757690 (12-11-2015),BoxingRed (12-12-2015),Fil3232 (12-12-2015),kaldaniels (12-11-2015),Revering4Blue (12-13-2015)

Turn Off Ads?