Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My New Puppy

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

My New Puppy

My girldfriend and I ended up taking in a litter of puppies from a client at her vet clinic. The plan was to wean them from their mother and after about 12 weeks start adopting them into good homes. Well, we sort of fell in love with one in particular (although they are all pretty awesome) and decided we would keep him. The rest, save for one other guy, have all been adopted out to great families.

Meet Sabo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	10214

I tried about 25 or so Reds names until she agreed on this one. The name suits him well. He is a Giant Schnauzer mixed with a Beauceron. He's about 45 lbs right now (just a few days past 4 months) and so we expect him to be somewhere in the 75-90 lb range. Based on his legs in the more recent pics he looks like he'll be a really tall and slender dude.

We sort of did this thing where you hold puppies up like a baby, so their belly is facing you, and determined he was the most submissive of the males based on his reaction. This was important as we have another large male in the house and we didn't want Sabo challenging him as he gets older (along with a tiny chihuahua we didn't want him tormenting). This proved to be a good decision so far, as our guy is super chilled out and really doesn't do anything bad. He sleeps a ton, and his trainer told me it's because a lot of his energy is going towards growing right now, but to watch out at around 18 months because he will be ready and demanding we do a lot of activities.

Some more recent ones:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	297.0 KB 
ID:	10210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	10211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	10215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	274.4 KB 
ID:	10216

Hope you enjoyed the pics. Feel free to share yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	10213   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	10212  
    Award Winning Baseball Player

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-07-2016),marcshoe (01-11-2016),OnBaseMachine (01-12-2016),Plus Plus (01-06-2016),Red in Chicago (01-08-2016),wolfboy (01-11-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My New Puppy

Love that breed, good looking pup

I had a dog named Sparky growing up in the 70's. I bet you can guess where I got that name.

Also in my adult years I have had 2 dogs named Otis and Granny, named after Otis Campbell from The Andy Griffith Show and Granny was from the Beverly Hillbillies.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-07-2016),cumberlandreds (01-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I had a dog named Sparky growing up in the 70's. I bet you can guess where I got that name.

Also in my adult years I have had 2 dogs named Otis and Granny, named after Otis Campbell from The Andy Griffith Show and Granny was from the Beverly Hillbillies.
    Sparky was one of the names I originally wanted. Some of the other names on the list were: Rijo, Morgan, Ernie, Oliver, Eric Davis, Dibble, Corky, Griffey, Casey, and Frazier. Some admittedly bad dog names in there but I felt there were a few really good ones too. My girlfriend eventually saw the light and we have named the last puppy that hasn't been adopted Charlie Hustle but we just call him Charlie Bear now for whatever reason.

Otis is an awesome name. What breeds were they?
    Last edited by bigredmechanism; 01-07-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Otis is a 12 year old Boston Terrier. I am a dog lover but just am not real fond of this breed for whatever reason. Maybe its just him or maybe its the breed but he has just always been like a cat. Not real playful and kinda standoffish. Plus the gas from this breed will clear out a room. They are legendary for it.

The best dog I ever had was a Jack Russell terrier named Scruffy. No baseball name connection.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Those Labradors make great family dogs. Very loyal, great with kids and loving. Enjoy!

Otis is a 12 year old Boston Terrier. I am a dog lover but just am not real fond of this breed for whatever reason. Maybe its just him or maybe its the breed but he has just always been like a cat. Not real playful and kinda standoffish. Plus the gas from this breed will clear out a room. They are legendary for it.

The best dog I ever had was a Jack Russell terrier named Scruffy. No baseball name connection.
    Jack Russels can be fun little dogs, for sure. They are seemingly fearless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Those Labradors make great family dogs. Very loyal, great with kids and loving. Enjoy!
    As much as he looks like one, he's not a Lab. Based on all my reading on the breeds he is, he should be okay with kids as long as we socialize him a ton. Otherwise he could be an issue. Over Christmas I brought him to my parents house to meet the family, along with my 2 year old nephew who flew up from Atlanta with my brother and his wife. Being a 2 year old, he didn't fully get the idea of being gentle with a puppy, and was sort of pulling at his ears and tail. (Which was fine, really. Little kids will do that.) The pup had no bad reactions to it, and to reinforce that behavior I rewarded him with a ton of treats.

I'm in love with that dog.

I have a schnauzer (turning 3 today!) and she is a genius. Very smart, loving breed.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (01-07-2016),westofyou (01-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I'm in love with that dog.

I have a schnauzer (turning 3 today!) and she is a genius. Very smart, loving breed.
    Mine growing up was smart as whip, traveled all over town alone and looked both ways before crossed Route 50

14. Likes:

vaticanplum (01-09-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You were a pyro?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You were a pyro?
    Technically my dad named him Sparky because of his profession as an electrician. My brother and I told everyone we named him after that gray haired guy.

I was guessing it had something to do with the electric chair.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?