Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061

Thread: Indiana Basketball Continued AGAIN

Re: Indiana Basketball Continued AGAIN

Jay Edwards was the best player on a team that won 3 straight championships and was Mr Basketball in high school, that pretty much makes him one of the best players to come out of the state. Had he not had his issues with substance abuse and had stayed 4 years at IU he would most certainly have broken all the scoring records that Calbert ended up breaking. I loved Cal but I think Jay was a better player.

Dakich said he thinks Romeo best comparison is Jay Edwards, has me very excited.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMHO, an incredibly underrated, overlooked player in regards to IU basketball, as well as IHSAA, history.

Granted this article is almost ten years old, but Edwards is listed as of 10 greatest Indiana high school basketball players of all-time.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/bs2571z...-hoopsters.htm
    That list isn’t the best list I’ve seen, Conley and Oden in the tops ten? Glenn Robinson was omitted? He was the top pick in the NBA draft and wasn’t a bust like Oden was, honestly Eric Montross was better than Oden.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Bailey is the best high school player this state has produced, statistically. He also was on a team that in his 4 years at IU that had a lot of talent. I really don't know what Knight expected out of him. He was a fine college player.
    Bailey had a great career at IU, he just wasn’t dominate, he was a third team all American as a senior.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 05-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Jay Edwards was the best player on a team that won 3 straight championships and was Mr Basketball in high school, that pretty much makes him one of the best players to come out of the state. Had he not had his issues with substance abuse and had stayed 4 years at IU he would most certainly have broken all the scoring records that Calbert ended up breaking. I loved Cal but I think Jay was a better player.

Dakich said he thinks Romeo best comparison is Jay Edwards, has me very excited.
    Ummmm.....he was co-Mr. Basketball with is own team mate. Lyndon Jones. And a lot of people forget how good that Marion team was, and it wasn't all due to Edwards. I am from that area and knew those guys well.

As far as Dakich, he doesn't know his arsz from a hole in the ground. Just my thought on him.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-04-2018),Hoosier Red (05-04-2018),Revering4Blue (05-12-2018)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

That list isn’t the best list I’ve seen, Conley and Oden in the tops ten? Glenn Robinson was omitted? He was the top pick in the NBA draft and wasn’t a bust like Oden was, honestly Eric Montross was better than Oden.

- - - Updated - - -

Bailey had a great career at IU, he just wasn’t dominate, he was a third team all American as a senior.
    Both lists are questionable at best -- no Glenn Robinson in the top 10? I simply threw them out there for baseline purposes. I'm not sure if NBA performance has any bearing on the ratings, but, IMHO, the Big "O" and McGinnis have to be #1 and #2.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Both lists are questionable at best -- no Glenn Robinson in the top 10? I simply threw them out there for baseline purposes. I'm not sure if NBA performance has any bearing on the ratings, but, IMHO, the Big "O" and McGinnis have to be #1 and #2.
    If we just say high school. Bailey is the best player this state has ever had. I can't say too much against Oscar, but Big Mac had a team mate by the name of Steve Downing. I had the honor of playing for an Indiana HS coach that is in the HoF here. It was a hot bed in my area for hoops. The best player I ever played against was a fellow by the name of Shawn Kemp. He was a freak. He jumped over me and dunked as a freshman. We won the game by 2. That same year we went into the "Tiger Den"(Warsaw) to play them. Jeff Grose won Mr. Basketball that year.....but clearly he was the second best player on that team. They had a sophomore by the name of Rick Fox..

Ummmm.....he was co-Mr. Basketball with is own team mate. Lyndon Jones. And a lot of people forget how good that Marion team was, and it wasn't all due to Edwards. I am from that area and knew those guys well.

As far as Dakich, he doesn't know his arsz from a hole in the ground. Just my thought on him.
    Basketball wise Dakich is very knowledgable, in all non basketball subjects he’s a clown.

So you think Lyndon Jones was an equal player to Jay Edwards? They were different but my eyes and the stats always showed me Jay was the superior play and I always thought the voters just voted them as co’s because the 3 straight championships.
    Last edited by redsfanmia; 05-04-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: E

Basketball wise Dakich is very knowledgable, in all non basketball subjects he’s a clown.

So you think Lyndon Jones was an equal player to Jay Edwards? They were different but my eyes and the stats always showed me Jay was the superior play and I always thought the voters just voted them as co’s because the 3 straight championships.
    In high school, Jones was the better player. The guy could do anything he wanted to. Edwards fed off of that. Jay, by far, was the better college player. Both had addiction problems.

In high school, Jones was the better player. The guy could do anything he wanted to. Edwards fed off of that. Jay, by far, was the better college player. Both had addiction problems.
    We are roughly the same age only I grew up in Indy so I watched Montross, Greg Graham, Alan Henderson and the like. Our school had a big rivalry with LN so we hated Montross and Leary. Never knew about Lyndon’s issues, had a buddy who lived in the same building as Jay at IU, said he was always high.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

We are roughly the same age only I grew up in Indy so I watched Montross, Greg Graham, Alan Henderson and the like. Our school had a big rivalry with LN so we hated Montross and Leary. Never knew about Lyndon’s issues, had a buddy who lived in the same building as Jay at IU, said he was always high.
    Didn't Funderburke go to LN as well?
    I'm out...like a fat kid in dodgeball

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Didn't Funderburke go to LN as well?
    He was from Ohio, LN had John Stewart who had committed To Kentucky before he passed away of heart issues, kind of odd how every Seven foot kid in Indiana somehow needed up at LN.

Lyndon was the same way, but unlike Jay, it affected his play at the college level.

As far as the "Purple Reign" of winning 3 titles in a row. The last year, '87, 9 of Marion's squad went on to play college ball. That is pretty damn impressive for a public school.

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (05-07-2018),Revering4Blue (05-12-2018)

Lyndon was the same way, but unlike Jay, it affected his play at the college level.

As far as the "Purple Reign" of winning 3 titles in a row. The last year, '87, 9 of Marion's squad went on to play college ball. That is pretty damn impressive for a public school.
    My junior year at Pike our entire team either played college ball or was offered, one guy had someone else take his sat’s And was banned he was supposed to go to Central Michigan and another guy was offered USC and couldn’t get the grades and another guy was signed with Eastern Illinois but got injured. We were ranked number 1 for a few weeks and was top 5 all year and we choked in the sectional and lost to Alan Henderson and Brebuef.

My junior year at Pike our entire team either played college ball or was offered, one guy had someone else take his sat’s And was banned he was supposed to go to Central Michigan and another guy was offered USC and couldn’t get the grades and another guy was signed with Eastern Illinois but got injured. We were ranked number 1 for a few weeks and was top 5 all year and we choked in the sectional and lost to Alan Henderson and Brebuef.
    LOL, sounds like my junior year. Small school. but we headed into the sectionals sporting an 18-2 record and were ranked #17. Our two losses were by 1 point each. One a 98-97 3OT loss to Fort Wayne Dwenger. The other to Warsaw(who won state that year). We got beat in the semi's by Manchester by 3. Finished the season 19-3......our losses by a combined 5 points. To this day, I shake my head about that. We were a dejected bunch in the locker room.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-12-2018)

Turn Off Ads?