Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: USMNT - Russia 2018 WC

USMNT - Russia 2018 WC

WC Qualifying is off to a horrible start after losing to Guatemala last Friday. They play the same team tonight in Columbus and is basically a must win (chances of qualifying go below 10% with a loss and only about 45% with a draw).

My line up guess tonight is:

Guzan

Yedlin Gonzo Cameron Castillo
    Beckerman Bradley
    Zardes Nagbe
    Dempsey Wood

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: USMNT - Russia 2018 WC

I was a Klinsmann supporter for his first World Cup cycle, but now I'm of the mind that it's time to move on. I was on board when he talked about having the US play an attacking possession-oriented game, but two years after the World Cup and it seems like Klinsmann has completely lost the plot. With the constant roster tinkering and playing players out of position, there's just no cohesion.

Listening to SiriusXMFC this morning, I actually heard a discussion about whether Klinsmann would play Christian Pulisic so that he will be cap-tied to the USMNT. I get it that Klinsmann wants to grow his talent pool by cap-tying any potential dual nationals, but right now it's about getting results and qualifying. Pulisic does us no good if he's sitting at home with the rest of us in 2018. Tonight it's do or most likely die time. Nothing else matters.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I was a Klinsmann supporter for his first World Cup cycle, but now I'm of the mind that it's time to move on. I was on board when he talked about having the US play an attacking possession-oriented game, but two years after the World Cup and it seems like Klinsmann has completely lost the plot. With the constant roster tinkering and playing players out of position, there's just no cohesion.

Listening to SiriusXMFC this morning, I actually heard a discussion about whether Klinsmann would play Christian Pulisic so that he will be cap-tied to the USMNT. I get it that Klinsmann wants to grow his talent pool by cap-tying any potential dual nationals, but right now it's about getting results and qualifying. Pulisic does us no good if he's sitting at home with the rest of us in 2018. Tonight it's do or most likely die time. Nothing else matters.
    I can see him bringing him on as a sub if we are winning, but I think Jurgen knows what's at stake here. That is why he's going to run out Beckerman and maybe even Altidore to start. It's a bit of a bummer than Fabian Johnson and Brooks aren't available, but we should still have enough depth to make up for that.

They looked dead last week, just dead, with the ball and without the ball. Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They looked dead last week, just dead, with the ball and without the ball. Horrible
    Both goals were awful. They didn't look creative, but they did create shots. I think they fired right at the keep 5 or 6 times. I think Bedoya hit him 3 times that I can remember.

Clint says chill:

Attachment 10530

I love the USMNT, but I think we have punched above our weight in the World Cup for years. It worries me that we simply aren't producing players that can make it in the biggest leagues in the world. Most every guy we send to Europe's bigger clubs ends up not playing/underperforming. I'm just not seeing the talent coming through, and I don't necessarily blame the coach. We blamed Arena, and Bradley, and Klinsmann, etc... for not developing players. Maybe the coach is misusing the talent, but it is limited talent.

And of course, as I type this, the US scores again. Maybe I should keep moaning.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I love the USMNT, but I think we have punched above our weight in the World Cup for years. It worries me that we simply aren't producing players that can make it in the biggest leagues in the world. Most every guy we send to Europe's bigger clubs ends up not playing/underperforming. I'm just not seeing the talent coming through, and I don't necessarily blame the coach. We blamed Arena, and Bradley, and Klinsmann, etc... for not developing players. Maybe the coach is misusing the talent, but it is limited talent.

And of course, as I type this, the US scores again. Maybe I should keep moaning.
    I think Yedlin, Johanssen, Miazga, Pulisic, Hyndmann, and a few others are showing some pretty good promise overseas.

I think Geoff Cameron has turned into a pretty solid player as well with Stoke.

11. Likes:

bucksfan2 (03-30-2016)

But I'm not sure that list puts us any further ahead of where we were ten years ago.

Now, MLS has certainly improved, and it's improvement is the single most important factor in the USMNT improving. We need to build a larger and larger talent base and MLS and its feeder programs are vital.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

But I'm not sure that list puts us any further ahead of where we were ten years ago.

Now, MLS has certainly improved, and it's improvement is the single most important factor in the USMNT improving. We need to build a larger and larger talent base and MLS and its feeder programs are vital.
    And it's happening. Cap-tying Pulsic tonight is huuuuuge. Dude has a chance to be special.

Well, if you look at 10 years ago, the USMNT was having a pretty dismal experience at the 2006 World Cup, where they crashed out with a total of 1 point. The problem with expectations is that making the quarterfinals in 2002 really skewed expectations for a lot of people. I keep hearing talk about how great we did with Bruce Arena in 2002 and how we've regressed since then. But I don't think that's true. The USMNT in 2002 really went beyond expectations. It was followed by 2006 where they qualified easily, were ranked fourth in the World, and crashed out of the World Cup. Was the USMNT really the 4th ranked national team in the world? No. But due to the way FIFA does it's rankings, which are completely flawed, people actually thought the USMNT was better than it actually was.

The current state of soccer in the US is such that the quality of players and the players available to the USMNT is leaps and bounds better than what it was in 2002. Between MLS and players on teams overseas, the USMNT has a wealth of talent available. The problem right now is that Klinsmann, while he has great notions of what style of play he'd like the USMNT to play, he seems like he's suffering from ADHD when it comes to actually setting a lineup and providing that lineup with a clear strategy. Bringing in all kinds of players and churning the lineup may make sense when you're starting out and trying to see what talent you have on hand, but at some point you have to make a consistent strategy.

MLS is growing, academy programs are way beyond what they were 10 years ago and are bearing fruit for a lot of teams. Qualifying for the World Cup shouldn't be a problem. I'm of the opinion that the USMNT has the talent on hand to qualify for 2018 easily. They just lack direction at this point. I think the problem right now is that Klinsmann keeps churning the roster to try to find the right combo to fit the style he wants to play, when really he should be adapting his style based on the players he has available.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Big result for the USMNT tonight. Really helps put them back into a safer position for qualification.

Meanwhile, the U-23 team is having a real problem against Colombia. Not that it's the sole issue tonight, as the play on the field isn't that great, but why play this match in Frisco, Texas? I'm a firm believer that the USMNT, whether the senior squad or the U-23 squad, should not play important matches against Latin American teams in the the South or Southwestern US. So many yellow jerseys in that crowd tonight that might not be there if the game were being played in Kansas City, Seattle, or Portland (with Columbus being unavailable due to hosting the WCQ tonight).

Actually, I think the success of the MLS may be hurting the USMNT. I think its a good thing that the league has taken off and is getting a lot of money into the sport, but I also think that is playing into some of my disappointment with several US players. IMO Bradley was one of the best US midfilders I have ever seen, but his play has gone down hill since he has joined the MLS. His touch is sloppy, he is no longer the guy who can control the midfield of a game, it seems like he is getting by on fitness and athletic ability more now than he ever has. Altidore has gone from one of the more promising forwards in the game to a guy who isn't starting for the US. I think there is a reason that guys like Terry and Gerrard come to the MLS late in their career, its because they can get that big payday while also not playing at the highest level. You get people excited about Tim Howard coming to American, when the real reason is he is getting old, and is the #2 GK for his club.

I watch some of the game last night and I think they looked good intensity wise. They took it to a team they were better than, but there still was that sloppiness that separates the good teams from the average teams. You see a different level of ball control from the good European clubs compared to the US. I think Jurgen is right in getting the younger guys the most European experience as possible, but I bet he wishes his better players would stick it out over there longer.

I do think the USMNT faces a challenge in playing in these Banana Republics, in the early season with high heat and humidity that they aren't used to.

MLS isn't hurting the USMNT. Bradley hasn't regressed, and Altidore wasn't starting because he's coming off an injury. The US has struggled recently because Jurgen has badly mishandled roster turnover and lineups in this cycle so far. Last night was the first time he put a line up that made any kind of sense since the Belgium game and oh look we scored 4 goals.

If MLS has hurt the USMNT in any way it is in making the other CONCACAF nations better, by giving them a good league to play in and develop. Sure guys like Gerrard will get a pay day because they help sell tickets, but he isn't even one of the best 7 or 8 players on the LA Galaxy right now. Most teams have solid rotation players that play for Honduras, Jamaica, Costa Rica, etc. that are making the whole league and their national teams better.

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-30-2016)

Turn Off Ads?