Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: USMNT - Russia 2018 WC

Re: USMNT - Russia 2018 WC

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    AAA baseball players aren't really making that much, but some of those guys do get big draft bonuses. Are AAA level soccer players in other countries making more money than AAA baseball players here?
    Yes, and by a big margin, at least in England. I don't know how the Championship compares with Germany's, Spain's and Italy's second divisions. I presume their salaries are much closer to the Championship than AAA baseball.

Championship salaries are hard to find, but I found this for last year's Aston Villa squad. It's probably higher than the Championship average since it was their first season post- relegation, but the greater point still stands.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...sportgalleries
    Last edited by paintmered; 10-13-2017 at 07:51 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Likes:

M2 (10-12-2017),Redsfaithful (10-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

That's a big hill to climb then.
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Yes, and by a big margin, at least in England. I don't know how the Championship compares with Germany's, Spain's and Italy's second divisions. I presume their salaries are much closer to the Championship than AAA baseball.

Championship salaries are hard to find, but I found this for last year's Aston Villa squad. It's probably higher than the Championship average since it was their first season post- relegation, but the greater point still stands.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/foo...sportgalleries
    Don't you have to take into consideration the amount of money Aston Villa stands to gain if promoted? The difference between Championship and AAA is Championship are their own team, not a farm team. I would imagine if AAA clubs could be promoted, the salaries would increase significantly.

Bruce Arena has officially resigned

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/...world-cup-miss

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Predictably, Sunil has declined to resign.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I must have not been clear in my somewhat rambling post. I started it yesterday and had to restart from scratch today. My smaller point was that if those other countries could do it we can too. Now if that's somewhat of an urban legend, that's fine. But nmculbreth was curious if soccer could snatch up those kids from the inner cities that would normally use their skills for basketball. My larger point was that soccer is working with a handicap in this country. Not only is soccer somewhat of a relatively new sport here but it has competition with football, baseball and basketball which have somewhat easier roads to fame and fortune without leaving the good old USA. Without football, baseball or basketball, LeBron James may have been a great goalkeeper. But even if he had played soccer growing up and there was no basketball, could he have had the same path to being world famous as he did playing basketball? Could he have graduated high school and made millions of dollars and had worldwide fame for a MLS team?
    One thing I'd like to point out is that there is actually quite a bit of soccer being played in the inner city, if the city is any decent size. My middle son has regularly played an inner city club in Akron and I can drive by any number of parks where kids through adults are playing soccer in the parks on weekends, way more so than baseball. In fact, the next town over completely removed a bunch of baseball fields in some of its parks and replaced them with soccer fields and other baseball fields have weeds growing in the infield dirt while the outfields now have soccer lines. And you touch on it, but I'll take it a little further, basketball, football, and even baseball favor a different body type than soccer. I think that if LeBron James were born in Europe or Brazil or Argentina, chances are he still would have become a basketball player. Everything about him says basketball and there are quite a few European and South American players in the NBA now. Those three sports favor a lot of upper body strength and running in short bursts, whereas soccer favors players with endurance, exceptional foot dexterity, and a low center of gravity. Some of the best creative players are 5'9" or less. The best player on my high school soccer team was 5'6". We have tons of kids playing soccer and youth soccer coaching is getting better all the time. Coaches are moving away from the old school way of playing, where the idea was to have all the kids boot it to the biggest, fastest kid on the field, who would take it down the field and shoot. There's a lot more focus on technical training, working with the ball at your feet, and understanding space. I don't think the problem is that the best youth soccer players are choosing to play football, basketball, or baseball. I think the problem is that, for kids whose parents can afford it, they get into pay-to-play clubs where the focus is getting kids a college scholarship rather than getting them ready to play pro ball. For the kids whose parents can't afford it, there are still a lot of kids playing high school soccer, but they just aren't getting the year-round training and development that the kids in academies or pay-to-play clubs get.

Rather than focusing on the inner cities with regard to youth soccer, I think the place where soccer hasn't quite made an impact is in the smaller cities and towns. For example, this year my middle son started his first season at the premier club level and we have some parents driving their kids from the Youngstown area, an hour and 15 minutes away from the practice facilities, 3 times a week because they don't have a decent club in their area. My nephews wanted to play soccer when they were little, but where they live in New Philadelphia, they didn't really have a rec league where they could learn the game until the past few years. Where I live, my kids had the opportunity to play rec league starting at age 3. Because he expressed an interest, my middle son had an opportunity to play on a travel team for the city club where he played rec soccer starting at age 9. And now at 11, he and some of his friends wanted to move on to the next challenge of premier club soccer. Contrast that with my sister's kids, who if they wanted to play at age 3-8, would have had to played in Canton, a 45 minute drive from their house, which they just couldn't do due to work schedules. So their boys played baseball and their younger son, who is also now 11, would only just now have the opportunity to play rec soccer to learn the game at a point where his cousin has been playing for years and is playing at a completely different level. And imagine if they could have gotten off work. They would have been driving their boys a total of one and a half hours a couple times a week for rec league soccer. When you factor in an hour or so for practice or a game, that's 2 1/2 to 3 hours out of your day, 2 - 3 times a week for soccer, which is a significant commitment for any family. I suspect that the holes in the soccer map are more likely to be found in blue collar communities like Youngstown and New Philly than they are in the inner cities. In those places, forget about the cost of pay to play. It's more about the time and desire to engage in drive to play. My 11 year old nephew now plays football, and that involves a commitment of 2 hours an evening in the fall, 5 nights a week, plus games on Saturdays, and that still costs a nice chunk of money for the equipment and the uniform. But he practices and plays on the field by his school, so they don't have to drive and they don't have to stay for practice, so they can do other things with their evenings instead of committing the whole family to driving to the next county for the evening. Of course my nephew may well be better suited for football anyway. His dad is a big guy and he already looks like a linebacker.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Predictably, Sunil has declined to resign.
    I wasn't able to hear the interview, but everything I've been told about it leads me to believe that Sunil is very much a FIFA guy and is going to hold onto his position until something drastic happens, like he gets indicted or the big time sponsors threaten to bolt if the board doesn't remove him.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I wasn't able to hear the interview, but everything I've been told about it leads me to believe that Sunil is very much a FIFA guy and is going to hold onto his position until something drastic happens, like he gets indicted or the big time sponsors threaten to bolt if the board doesn't remove him.
    Gulati is swiftly becoming the focal point for "if he doesn't go, then nothing much is going to change."
    Last edited by M2; 10-14-2017 at 12:59 AM.
    Wait until the year after next year.

When Claudio Reyna opens his mouth, smart things come out of it. He had some extremely candid things to say today about what's wrong with America soccer.

Hers my favorite, "What I think has happened in the past 10 years is we're confusing investment, expansion, growth, [U.S. Development Academy], and all these other things with progress. All these things have sort of created a feeling that we're progressing, but I call it expanding, growth and more fans.

From the general growth side it's happening, but are we really progressing? When I look around at certain levels I don't see progress happening."

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/...r-too-arrogant
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

12. Likes:

M2 (10-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    When Claudio Reyna opens his mouth, smart things come out of it. He had some extremely candid things to say today about what's wrong with America soccer.

Hers my favorite, "What I think has happened in the past 10 years is we're confusing investment, expansion, growth, [U.S. Development Academy], and all these other things with progress. All these things have sort of created a feeling that we're progressing, but I call it expanding, growth and more fans.

From the general growth side it's happening, but are we really progressing? When I look around at certain levels I don't see progress happening."

I wonder if he has any interest in challenging Sunil Gulati. He certainly has both the soccer credentials and the administrative experience at NYCFC. I'd like to see what kind of solutions he could help the powers that be come up with. I keep hearing rumors that Landon Donovan and Eric Wynalda may challenge Sunil in the next election for president of the USSF. As much as I like them as players, I don't know that they have the administrative experience to run an organization that size. Reyna, on the other hand, may just have that combination of soccer IQ and administrative know how to get things done and take US Soccer to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

So I totally agree with his point on youth coaching. There is an attitude and development issue.

I don't agree with his point on the quote you posted. I think those things go hand in hand. The fact we have more investment and more people playing the game can be nothing but a good thing and is absolutely progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So I totally agree with his point on youth coaching. There is an attitude and development issue.

I don't agree with his point on the quote you posted. I think those things go hand in hand. The fact we have more investment and more people playing the game can be nothing but a good thing and is absolutely progress.
    I think when you have growth and expansion, you're always going to have some things that work and some things that don't. Eventually, those programs that produce better players will hopefully rise to the top and inspire better training methods across the board. I think the way US Soccer can help is by providing training for youth coaches at affordable rates. I've heard training for coaching licenses can expensive the farther you try to move up the ladder.

Italy is playing the most Italy game ever vs Sweden. All dark arts. They look terrible. Sub-Albanian. It's still 0-0 and they very well might win. Why the refs let Italy get away with this stuff baffles me, but they get a separate set of rules and they apply brutalism like no one's business.

This second Italy-Sweden game is fascinating. Italy is really pushing the limits of what it can get away with in an effort to throw off the Swedes. It might work, but it's dangerous. They've just gotten away with their second hand ball in the box.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/...rom-ages-16-18

Pulisic echoing much of what has been said in this thread re: US player development.

Another takeaway from this is just how intelligent he is.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

19. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (11-13-2017),M2 (11-13-2017)

Turn Off Ads?