Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Jesse Winker

Winker has now played in 44 games and amassed 160 at bats.

He now sits at a .335 slugging percentage.

What gives? Is anyone watching this guy somewhat regularly? Is it bad luck? Is he overmatched at aaa?

I like the OBP. But, am very disappointed with the power outage at AAA. Before the season Winker was touted by many national writers as the best pure bat in the minors. We are now at Memorial Day and he is carrying a .269 BA and horrendous slugging percentage. Is he maybe injured?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jesse Winker

Sorry, wrong forum, can a moderator please move this to the minor league forum? Unless people view this as a Reds thread with him being their top offensive prospect.

I meant to post this in minor league forum, though.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Winker has now played in 44 games and amassed 160 at bats.

He now sits at a .335 slugging percentage.

What gives? Is anyone watching this guy somewhat regularly? Is it bad luck? Is he overmatched at aaa?

I like the OBP. But, am very disappointed with the power outage at AAA. Before the season Winker was touted by many national writers as the best pure bat in the minors. We are now at Memorial Day and he is carrying a .269 BA and horrendous slugging percentage. Is he maybe injured?
    I'm shocked, shocked to find that a young player is having trouble adjusting to more advanced competition. Of course he did the same thing at AA and A ball, then turned it on after a few weeks or months. I'm not too concerned.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

its 44 games at a new level.

Adjustment time.

When he makes it to MLB he will probably have to make another adjustment.

The slugging percentage (and batting average) was even LOWER at this point last year in AA for Winker, slashing .231/.340/.319 through his first 44 games.

He hit .311/.417/.498 (11 HRs, 18 doubles) the next 79 games.

Give him time.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-29-2016)

I think it's very clear I wasn't writing him off or anything.

Ok, it is still early, I suppose. Hopefully he starts hitting doubles and homers.

The guy I am worried about now at this point is Blandino. He looked to be coming out of his April woes but now has fallen back again his last 10 games. He turns 24 in the offseason and so he can't really afford a lost year in AA. Can only hope he has a big second half in him.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-29-2016),RedlegJake (05-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The guy I am worried about now at this point is Blandino. He looked to be coming out of his April woes but now has fallen back again his last 10 games. He turns 24 in the offseason and so he can't really afford a lost year in AA. Can only hope he has a big second half in him.
    Are you worried about Jagielo yet? Or simply had no hopes for him in the first place?

Not at all worried about Winker. As long as the walks and K rate are OK I think he'll adjust to the league. Blandino, OTOH, I agree with Tom. I am beginning to fear the AA beast has devoured him. He's played 65 games at AA now with 290 PA and only 55 hits and 40 walks/hbp, only 88 Total bases and 21 XBH. Slashing .222/.330/.355/.685. If he is going to adjust he needs to do it real soon because as Tom pointed out, at 24, time is not his friend.

As for Jagielo, his BABIP is 100 points lower, his K rate is up about 5% and he is in a much tougher league for hitting. I think he'll adjust but this may just be a lost season. Unlike Blandino, though, we know from last year that he can hit AA pitching.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-29-2016 at 11:26 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Are you worried about Jagielo yet? Or simply had no hopes for him in the first place?
    I am worried but moreso I am kind of resigned to him not panning out at this point. Part of the extreme struggle is likely BABIP related, but where in the world has his power gone?

14. Likes:

texasdave (05-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Blandino was 0-2 with 2 fly ball outs yesterday, when he was pinch hit for by Superfluous J in the fifth inning. I wonder if there is a minor injury somewhere along the line. Pinch hit for in the fifth inning? By Zach Vincej?

Ironic that the slugger Jagielo has fallen while the perceived toss-in to the Chapman trade, Renda, is looking more and more like a real prospect.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

He has more walks than Ks as a 22 year old in AAA. He'll be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Ironic that the slugger Jagielo has fallen while the perceived toss-in to the Chapman trade, Renda, is looking more and more like a real prospect.
    Once upon a time Edwin Encarnacion was the toss in to the Rob Bell trade.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Once upon a time Edwin Encarnacion was the toss in to the Rob Bell trade.
    Of course, Encarnacion was a teenager at the time. Renda is 25.

Turn Off Ads?