Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Re: Jesse Winker

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Some people are reacting to the major league team. Many though are looking towards the future. I can see most of those pitching problems being resolved from within over the next couple of years (probably not by 2017 though). I don't see Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz but I think there will be plenty of pitching top to bottom that this team can win with. When I look at the position guys, I have trouble seeing who will be this team's offense. Votto, Peraza and Suarez play the roles of Who, What and I Don't know. Winker in LF. Is Hamilton still in CF? That would be fine if they have bats at C, SS and RF. Rodriguez at SS? Then they probably can't carry Hamilton anymore? Can Duvall or Winker play RF so they both could be in the line-up? Why aren't they finding out? Suarez, Peraza, Hamilton and Rodriguez are all bottom third of the order guys. Duvall, if he plays, should probably hit 6th with his OBP problems. Winker and Votto both look like number 2 hitters. I really don't see a lead-off guy and not really anyone to hit 3, 4 or 5. Those spots provide the lions share of the offense on a normal team. So, using those pieces, Peraza 2B, Winker LF, Votto 1b, Duvall RF, Suarez 3B, Barnhart C, Rodriguez SS, Pitcher, Hamilton CF. At least three of those guys need to be replaced for this team to be taken seriously. That's a tall order by 2017 or even 2018. I don't see any internal candidates. If you are being realistic, do you?
    Winker has been starting in RF for the Bats for the last two weeks.

I don't think Suarez and Peraza are necessarily bottom of the order guys. I know you don't believe in Peraza, but he already has 12 walks in 41 games in AAA this year. He had just 17 in 118 games last year. He just turned 22 exactly a month ago and is still improving.

I can't say for sure what the Reds plans are moving forward, I don't know what the draft and international signing plans are, or which pitchers they are high on and which they see as possible trade bait. But from the rough outlines I see a ballclub with potential. Is there a fully internal core that could compete in 2017? I don't know. But there is still a lot of times until then and moves to be made.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

2. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-01-2016),REDREAD (06-03-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Seriously though, is Winker injured?

Two games in a row on bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Some people are reacting to the major league team. Many though are looking towards the future. I can see most of those pitching problems being resolved from within over the next couple of years (probably not by 2017 though). I don't see Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz but I think there will be plenty of pitching top to bottom that this team can win with. When I look at the position guys, I have trouble seeing who will be this team's offense. Votto, Peraza and Suarez play the roles of Who, What and I Don't know. Winker in LF. Is Hamilton still in CF? That would be fine if they have bats at C, SS and RF. Rodriguez at SS? Then they probably can't carry Hamilton anymore? Can Duvall or Winker play RF so they both could be in the line-up? Why aren't they finding out? Suarez, Peraza, Hamilton and Rodriguez are all bottom third of the order guys. Duvall, if he plays, should probably hit 6th with his OBP problems. Winker and Votto both look like number 2 hitters. I really don't see a lead-off guy and not really anyone to hit 3, 4 or 5. Those spots provide the lions share of the offense on a normal team. So, using those pieces, Peraza 2B, Winker LF, Votto 1b, Duvall RF, Suarez 3B, Barnhart C, Rodriguez SS, Pitcher, Hamilton CF. At least three of those guys need to be replaced for this team to be taken seriously. That's a tall order by 2017 or even 2018. I don't see any internal candidates. If you are being realistic, do you?
    I see it more like:

BLANK CF
    Winker LF
    Votto 1B
    BLANK RF
    Mesoraco/Stephenson C
    BLANK SS
    Suarez/Duvall/BLANK 3B
    Peraza 2B

So it's simple, draft Moniak at #2 and Rutherford at #35. Sign Kevin Maitan instead of Alfredo Rodriguez (same money). And, poof - your projected 2020 lineup looks like:

Moniak CF
    Winker LF
    Votto 1B
    Rutherford RF
    Stephenson C
    Maitan SS
    Suarez/Duvall 3B
    Peraza 2B

Reed LHP
    Stephenson RHP
    Garrett LHP
    Iglesias RHP
    DeSclafini RHP

Lorenzen SU
    Finnegan CL

Was it that hard? /dream
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-31-2016 at 12:10 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I see it more like:

BLANK CF
    Winker LF
    Votto 1B
    BLANK RF
    Mesoraco/Stephenson C
    BLANK SS
    Suarez/Duvall/BLANK 3B
    Peraza 2B

So it's simple, draft Moniak at #2 and Rutherford at #35. Sign Kevin Maitan instead of Alfredo Rodriguez (same money). And, poof - your projected 2020 lineup looks like:

Moniak CF
    Winker LF
    Votto 1B
    Rutherford RF
    Stephenson C
    Maitan SS
    Suarez/Duvall 3B
    Peraza 2B

Reed LHP
    Stephenson RHP
    Garrett LHP
    Iglesias RHP
    DeSclafini RHP

Lorenzen SU
    Finnegan CL

Was it that hard? /dream
    Dream on my man.

It looks nice, but that requires running the table on 9 guys who have never sniffed regular MLB time, not even including the Lorenzen/Finnegan backend tandem.

I'd love to make a play for Maitan but I read somewhere that at this point once he "agreed" with the Braves, rarely do guys back out...I'm sure some do but it is rare...not just a matter of beating the price at this point.

We'll probably more likely see:

2B - Peraza
    RF - Winker
    1B - Votto
    3B - Senzel
    LF - Rutherford/Ervin
    C - Stephenson/Mesoraco
    SS - Blandino/A-Rod
    CF - Hamilton/Ervin

IMO, still has a lot of potential anyway. Though with subsequent picks it's not unlikely someone like Olivo, Aquino or another draft pick eventually comes in to RF and Winker may move to 1st or something if he grows into some power and Votto ages.
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I see it more like:

BLANK CF
    Winker LF
    Votto 1B
    BLANK RF
    Mesoraco/Stephenson C
    BLANK SS
    Suarez/Duvall/BLANK 3B
    Peraza 2B

Moniak CF
    Winker LF
    Votto 1B
    Rutherford RF
    Stephenson C
    Maitan SS
    Suarez/Duvall 3B
    Peraza 2B

Reed LHP
    Stephenson RHP
    Garrett LHP
    Iglesias RHP
    DeSclafini RHP

Lorenzen SU
    Finnegan CL

Was it that hard? /dream
    It's simple that Rutherford will be available at 35?

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-31-2016),SoTxRedsFan (05-31-2016)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Why. Does. Everyone. Insist. Finnegan MUST BE A RELIEVER????
    I heard your record..it's alright.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Bailey
    Desclafani
    Iglesias
    Stephenson
    Garrett
    Reed
    etc
    etc
    etc
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Why would anyone believe he could be a starter?

I dunno. I see both sides of the debate. On one hand, minor leaguers are minor leaguers. By definition, they are learning, inconsistent, making silly mistakes, yet flashing superstardom on occasion. They are - as someone said - unfinished products. And we follow the gurus religiously who tell us which prospects are better than others.

And yet, as we watch the Reds' unfinished prospects compete against other teams unfinished prospects, it seems that other teams prospects are "more finished." That's where frustration hits.

The one thing that leaves me hopeful is the fact that when you look at the ages of Reds' prospects playing against competition, Reds' prospects are usually younger. When kids are competing against older competition, they are going to struggle more until they catch up a bit.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yankees Top 100 prospect Aaron Judge, supposedly with enormous power, at age 24 is hitting .234/.293/.394 right now in the same league as the 22-year-old Winker. Oh, and he's got 15 walks and 54 strikeouts. I wonder how YankeesZone is reacting to his start.

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yankees Top 100 prospect Aaron Judge, supposedly with enormous power, at age 24 is hitting .234/.293/.394 right now in the same league as the 22-year-old Winker. Oh, and he's got 15 walks and 54 strikeouts. I wonder how YankeesZone is reacting to his start.
    http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...d-notes/page38

They are talking about it.

Someone asked the same question I asked about Winker - is he hurt?

Doug, what is your point? We shouldn't talk about Winker struggling at AAA in the minor league forum? We shouldn't wonder what's up with him, or if he is hurt? I don't see anyone in this thread bashing him. Yankees fans shouldn't talk about Aaron Judge struggling at AAA either?

What are you seeking on the minor league forum, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Doug, what is your point? We shouldn't talk about Winker struggling at AAA in the minor league forum? We shouldn't wonder what's up with him, or if he is hurt? I don't see anyone in this thread bashing him. Yankees fans shouldn't talk about Aaron Judge struggling at AAA either?

What are you seeking on the minor league forum, exactly?
    I believe it was in reference to the post above his stating "as we watch the Reds' unfinished prospects compete against other teams unfinished prospects, it seems that other teams prospects are "more finished." That's where frustration hits."
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Fine, but he was complaining about this thread well before the post above his. I see nothing wrong with talking about one of the elite prospects in the organization struggling 2 full months into the season, and now has been benched two straight games (again, does anyone know why?)

Turn Off Ads?