Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker

Re: Jesse Winker

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Why. Does. Everyone. Insist. Finnegan MUST BE A RELIEVER????
    I remember Finnegan out of the pen for KC in the playoffs and he was 95-97mph. I went to the 5/13 Reds-Phillies game and my thoughts after the game were he should be in the bullpen. He was pretty much 90-92 with an occasional 93 and his command was all over the place. Now you can say that it was only 1 game, but if you look at the game logs for him this season its been a pretty average start for him. For the year he has a 6.3k/9 and a 4.4bb/9.

You have Bailey, Disco and Iglesias that are going to be coming back, all of whom I think are better starters. You have 3 of the top 100 pitching prospects that are all starters and on top of all of it you have a bullpen that is an epic disaster. If he can be the guy he was in KC I think he will be much more valuable to the Reds are they are currently configured than a middling starter.

2. Likes:

Cooper (06-02-2016),Redeyecat (06-01-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Fine, but he was complaining about this thread well before the post above his. I see nothing wrong with talking about one of the elite prospects in the organization struggling 2 full months into the season, and now has been benched two straight games (again, does anyone know why?)
    All Doug said, essentially, was posters here need some patience, because it's May. I agree with him.

No, I don't know why he didn't play the last two days. Again, he struggled even worse last year in AA at this point, and he has still walked more than he struck out in his poor May, so the hand-wringing seems unwarranted.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    All Doug said, essentially, was posters here need some patience, because it's May. I agree with him.

No, I don't know why he didn't play the last two days. Again, he struggled even worse last year in AA at this point, and he has still walked more than he struck out in his poor May, so the hand-wringing seems unwarranted.
    Yes. People just need patience. With Finnegan, with Winker, with many of these guys.

Winker is still 22 playing at AAA.

Finnegan is 23 playing in the majors.

These are very young players. Give them a chance to develop.

6. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-31-2016),Redeyecat (06-01-2016)

Well, I suppose in 11 1/2 hours you guys can not say "It's May" anymore, so might as well say it is as often as possible today.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Well, I suppose in 11 1/2 hours you guys can not say "It's May" anymore, so might as well say it is as often as possible today.
    You're a smart guy, RTG. What does it generally tell you when a batter walks more than he strikes out in a month, and when his BABIP is .237 for the first 3 weeks of the month? Does it tell you that at age 22 in AAA he's hit his ceiling? I think you know the answer.

You backed off your OP and took a reasonable stance after some replies, now you want to dig your heels in again because you don't like being called impatient.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

You're a smart guy, RTG. What does it generally tell you when a batter walks more than he strikes out in a month, and when his BABIP is .237 for the first 3 weeks of the month? Does it tell you that at age 22 in AAA he's hit his ceiling? I think you know the answer.

You backed off your OP and took a reasonable stance after some replies, now you want to dig your heels in again because you don't like being called impatient.
    I never said he hit a wall.

I started a thread about Winker because I know there are people on this forum that watch him in person and on television and was curious what they could report. Ya'll are acting like I said "Winker is GARBAGE!!!" I actually specifically asked if it was bad luck or if he is injured.

My last couple posts have mostly been in reference to Doug's "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the PROSPECTS and ME" post. I see nothing wrong with discussing theories on why an elite hitting prospect isn't hitting through the first 2 months of the season.

I understand he is walking more than striking out, that's great. Good information to add to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I dunno. I see both sides of the debate. On one hand, minor leaguers are minor leaguers. By definition, they are learning, inconsistent, making silly mistakes, yet flashing superstardom on occasion. They are - as someone said - unfinished products. And we follow the gurus religiously who tell us which prospects are better than others.

And yet, as we watch the Reds' unfinished prospects compete against other teams unfinished prospects, it seems that other teams prospects are "more finished." That's where frustration hits.

The one thing that leaves me hopeful is the fact that when you look at the ages of Reds' prospects playing against competition, Reds' prospects are usually younger. When kids are competing against older competition, they are going to struggle more until they catch up a bit.
    Disagree with the idea that the Reds prospects are "usually younger" than most other teams prospects at similar levels. Just look at the AA roster - the top 3 prospects on that roster, Amir Garrett, Alex Blandino, and Phil Ervin, are either already 24 or turn 24 this year. That is not young, that's actually average to old for the level (for a good prospect), and Ervin and especially Blandino are struggling at that level.
    Go BLUE!!!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Why would anyone believe he could be a starter?
    He's done fairly well thus far in his first real foray into the role.

And it should be a project that is tried until it fails.
    I heard your record..it's alright.

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-31-2016)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Bailey- Injury prone
    Desclafani - Legit starter
    Iglesias - starting to become injury prone, may not be stout enough to carry the starter's load but definitely has the chops
    Stephenson - Unproven.
    Garrett - VERY unproven
    Reed - Sure looks the part. Definitely should be a starter on the big club
    etc - hate his fly ball rate
    etc - Has "closer" written all over him
    etc - question his stuff
    So you have, maybe, 2-3 sure things. If all these guys pan out then we have an abundance of major league starters, and THEN we explore changing roles of making trades.

But the lynch mob has been out to make Finnegan a bullpen guy since the very day we acquired him. I don't get it. Lefties with his stuff should be made to start until it becomes abundantly clear the bullpen is a more suitable role.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 05-31-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: I hate eating pancakes on hot mondays
    I heard your record..it's alright.

14. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree with the idea that the Reds prospects are "usually younger" than most other teams prospects at similar levels. Just look at the AA roster - the top 3 prospects on that roster, Amir Garrett, Alex Blandino, and Phil Ervin, are either already 24 or turn 24 this year. That is not young, that's actually average to old for the level (for a good prospect), and Ervin and especially Blandino are struggling at that level.
    Ervin's not really struggling. He's not tearing it up, but he's not struggling.

Blandino is struggling, and I think based on the DL stint to begin the year and the removal from the game a few days ago that it is injury related. Which sucks because as I said earlier he can't really afford a lost year given his age, but what are ya going to do?

Ervin's not really struggling. He's not tearing it up, but he's not struggling.

Blandino is struggling, and I think based on the DL stint to begin the year and the removal from the game a few days ago that it is injury related. Which sucks because as I said earlier he can't really afford a lost year given his age, but what are ya going to do?
    He's batting .231. Yes he's walking and occasionally hitting a HR, but as I said on an earlier thread, show me players (especially corner OF) who have had successful major league careers while having a career minor league average of .235 in full season ball (over 1200 PA) - let alone playing consistently at levels for which he is average or old?
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-31-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

This year Ervin has had 64 PA against younger pitchers, 108 against older ones. Interestingly, his OPS is better against those older than he: .794 to .735.

Didn't I already list a bunch of players with a similar avg (not quite as low) that have gone on to be successful major leaguers?
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

19. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (05-31-2016)

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Didn't I already list a bunch of players with a similar avg (not quite as low) that have gone on to be successful major leaguers?
    Mind posting it again, or pointing me towards the thread with the list in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Actually according to baseball reference.com, all three players you mention are younger than league average and both Ervin and Blandino are over a year younger than the average age.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Turn Off Ads?