Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 193

Thread: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    10 organizations have three teams at rookie and short-season ball (Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, Rays, Astros, Blue Jays, Royals, Rockies, Pirates and DBacks), and it's going to increase when the NY-P adds some new teams. My understanding is short-season A in the NY-P and Northwest leagues are a definite step up from the Pioneer and Appy Leagues. Organizations with teams split between those leagues treat them that way. Players move up from the Pulaski Yankees to the Staten Island Yankees.

    Maybe the Reds won't add a third team, but 1/3 of MLB franchises do it and another 13 play at a higher level than the Reds do in Billings (the Royals have a team each in the Appy and Pioneer).
    You have to be very active with signing International players to field three rookie ball league teams. Yankees actually have 2 GCL teams.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    10 organizations have three teams at rookie and short-season ball (Yankees, Mets, Cardinals, Rays, Astros, Blue Jays, Royals, Rockies, Pirates and DBacks), and it's going to increase when the NY-P adds some new teams. My understanding is short-season A in the NY-P and Northwest leagues are a definite step up from the Pioneer and Appy Leagues. Organizations with teams split between those leagues treat them that way. Players move up from the Pulaski Yankees to the Staten Island Yankees.

    Maybe the Reds won't add a third team, but 1/3 of MLB franchises do it and another 13 play at a higher level than the Reds do in Billings (the Royals have a team each in the Appy and Pioneer).
    How many teams have three rookie league teams that doesn't include two GCL teams?

    And those leagues aren't more advanced than the Pioneer League. They are filled with the guys not good enough for Low-A, or recent draft picks too advanced for complex ball.

  4. #33
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,965

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    How many teams have three rookie league teams that doesn't include two GCL teams?
    Actually it's 9. The 10 franchises I listed each have two affiliates in A- or advanced R, but the Rox, because they're special, don't have a GCL/AZL operation. The Yankees are the only franchise with two GCL affiliates, but they also have NY-P and Appy affiliates.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And those leagues aren't more advanced than the Pioneer League. They are filled with the guys not good enough for Low-A, or recent draft picks too advanced for complex ball.
    You are the first person I've ever heard claim that. They're listed as distinct levels everywhere and treated as progressive steps up by the franchises at both levels.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  5. #34
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You are the first person I've ever heard claim that. They're listed as distinct levels everywhere and treated as progressive steps up by the franchises at both levels.
    If the players were good enough for Low-A, they'd be there.

  6. #35
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,965

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If the players were good enough for Low-A, they'd be there.
    That's not the point. They're better than the Pioneer and Appy League. Think of all the Billings players, especially bats, who haven't been able to make jump to Low A. We'd probably have a better handle on these kids if they'd played A- ball. It's a step in between advanced R and A ball, and is universally recognized as such.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  7. #36
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    It's recognized as such because of the affiliation. It's not any different in talent level, really.

    The reason guys struggle with the jump from Billings to Dayton is because they jump to a league that has a 100 point OPS difference in it.

  8. #37
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,965

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It's recognized as such because of the affiliation. It's not any different in talent level, really.

    The reason guys struggle with the jump from Billings to Dayton is because they jump to a league that has a 100 point OPS difference in it.
    It's also recognized as such because a fair number of teams are comprised of players deemed solidly better than what those franchises are sending to the Pioneer and Appy leagues. The Pioneer League's hitter's bent is a problem too, but that's a separate issue.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  9. #38
    Moderator JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    11,620

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    I would definitely be in favor of adding a NY/Penn league team in addition to Billings.

    The Marlins AAA team just renewed with New Orleans. That is only significant in that it means the Marlins are talking to their franchises that they want to renew. One of those franchises is AA Jacksonville. Because it's a Florida team, that might be slightly more appealing to Pensacola then the Reds. So Jacksonville extending would mean a slightly higher chance of Pensacola staying with the Reds.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

  10. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    There is some chatter that the Reds want to leave Pensacola to be closer to Louisville and that desire played a part behind this letter. Its clearly the Wahoos and Studer reaching out and wanting this to be done before September 5th.

    http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/mlb/...r-ad/86516328/
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

  11. #40
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,965

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Closer to Louisville options available in 2016 are Akron (good luck prying that from the Indians), Erie (Tigers), Mobile (DBacks), Jackson (Mariners) and Arkansas (Angels).
    Last edited by M2; 06-30-2016 at 04:05 PM.
    Wait until the year after next year.

  12. #41
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,377

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    There is some chatter that the Reds want to leave Pensacola to be closer to Louisville and that desire played a part behind this letter. Its clearly the Wahoos and Studer reaching out and wanting this to be done before September 5th.

    http://www.pnj.com/story/sports/mlb/...r-ad/86516328/
    I did see that ad on Twitter, struck me as a bit odd.

    Jackson, Tennessee is a relatively short distance to Louisville, but you said most teams don't want to be there. Too bad a reunion with Chattanooga isn't in the cards.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  13. #42
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    29,377

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Closer to Louisville options available in 2016 are Akron (good luck prying that from the Indians), Erie (Tigers), Mobile (DBacks) and Jackson (Mariners).
    Arkansas (Angels) in Little Rock is closer...slightly. About 100 miles shorter distance.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

  14. #43
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    35,965

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Arkansas (Angels) in Little Rock is closer...slightly. About 100 miles shorter distance.
    I added that to my list while you were posting. Didn't particularly want to consider anything in the Texas League (where pitching prospects go to die and hitters get an inflated sense of themselves).
    Wait until the year after next year.

  15. #44
    Member texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    15,999

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Why on earth would the Reds want to leave Pensacola, one of the best franchises going?

  16. Likes:

    JaxRed (07-01-2016),OnBaseMachine (06-30-2016)

  17. #45
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    47,922

    Re: It's time for the Affiliation Shuffle Again

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Why on earth would the Reds want to leave Pensacola, one of the best franchises going?
    I doubt they do.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator