Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's The First Big News Story You Were Aware Of As A Kid?

Re: What's The First Big News Story You Were Aware Of As A Kid?

I remember the death of Elvis well as we were on a family vacation passing through Tennessee at the time and I remember every radio station regardless of format playing Elvis music that whole day. I also remember well the assassination attempt on Reagan. Another story I remember around that same time was the Atlanta Child Murders where a serial killer named Wayne Williams killed over 20 children in the Atlanta area over a few year period late 70s and beginning of the 80s.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'd plum forgotten about it, too.

That's one more reason that this thread rocks.
    LOL and I concur.

I was telling the wife about this thread and she brought up something that I had completely forgotten about. When the Ford Motor Company was on trial for the Pinto in the little town of Winamac, Indiana.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-12-2016)

I distinctly remember, in what was a huge local to Cincinnati story, the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire coverage. I was six, and have a clear memory of the news coverage and the shots of the fire burning. To this day have a fear of fires and crowded places.

Another big story I remember from when I was a kid was the US hostage crisis in Iran

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I distinctly remember, in what was a huge local to Cincinnati story, the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire coverage. I was six, and have a clear memory of the news coverage and the shots of the fire burning. To this day have a fear of fires and crowded places.
    My folks had tickets for the next nights show

I'd have to say the Miracle on Ice in 1980. I was 6 and remember taping together some Christmas wrapping paper rolls to make a hockey stick. I scored a ton of goals in our kitchen while my mom and dad watched the game in the living room.

9. Likes:

Chip R (07-13-2016),cumberlandreds (07-13-2016),Kingspoint (07-13-2016),Revering4Blue (07-13-2016),WrongVerb (07-13-2016)

I remember that. We were visiting family in Cincinnati at the time. I remember we would listen to WLW to and from Lima, where we were living at the time. I remember every time got in the car on that trip, they would talk about the Beverly Hills Supper Club. I was six at the time and because of the name of that place, it made me think that Beverly Hills was a suburb of Cincinnati until a few years later, when the Beverly Hillbillies reruns taught me that it was actually in California.

1976 was the first year I really started understanding the news and what was going on in the World. That was the first season I really got into listening to baseball on the radio with my dad. We would get in the car and drive around listening to Reds games because he couldn't get good reception of WLW in the house. So I remember a lot of news stories from WLW during that period. Mostly I remember the Bicentennial Celebrations and the Presidential Election, The Reds World Series, the Summer Olympics, and Patty Hearst getting sentenced to prison (who I thought had tried to assassinate President Ford, confusing her with Sarah Jane Moore and Squeaky Fromme).
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

11. Likes:

westofyou (07-13-2016)

Earlier in this thread, I said the Cuban Missle Crisis. I was reading something online yesterday about Sputnik, and I realized that was my first memory. I remember my mom taking me outside and gazing at the cosmos looking for Sputnik.
    Last edited by RFS62; 07-13-2016 at 10:40 PM.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

13. Likes:

westofyou (07-13-2016)

The first local story I remember might be the first specific story as well, but I didn't think of it until I saw a reference earlier this evening: the Silver Bridge collapse in Point Pleasant, WV, in December 1967. 46 people were killed.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The first local story I remember might be the first specific story as well, but I didn't think of it until I saw a reference earlier this evening: the Silver Bridge collapse in Point Pleasant, WV, in December 1967. 46 people were killed.
    Exactly, for me it was the Detroit riots in 67, the ones in 68 made me go.... ummm is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I remember that. We were visiting family in Cincinnati at the time. I remember we would listen to WLW to and from Lima, where we were living at the time. I remember every time got in the car on that trip, they would talk about the Beverly Hills Supper Club. I was six at the time and because of the name of that place, it made me think that Beverly Hills was a suburb of Cincinnati until a few years later, when the Beverly Hillbillies reruns taught me that it was actually in California.

1976 was the first year I really started understanding the news and what was going on in the World. That was the first season I really got into listening to baseball on the radio with my dad. We would get in the car and drive around listening to Reds games because he couldn't get good reception of WLW in the house. So I remember a lot of news stories from WLW during that period. Mostly I remember the Bicentennial Celebrations and the Presidential Election, The Reds World Series, the Summer Olympics, and Patty Hearst getting sentenced to prison (who I thought had tried to assassinate President Ford, confusing her with Sarah Jane Moore and Squeaky Fromme).
    1976 was the year I moved to Cincinnati, I had a great and odd time that year.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My folks had tickets for the next nights show
    Good lord. So few remember how bad that fire was (165 people died).

A few links:

https://creepycincinnati.com/2014/05...per-club-site/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverl...pper_Club_fire

http://www.iklimnet.com/hotelfires/i...ire/bhfire.jpe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by membengal; 07-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Earlier in this thread, I said the Cuban Missle Crisis. I was reading something online yesterday about Sputnik, and I realized that was my first memory. I remember my mom taking me outside and gazing at the cosmos looking for Sputnik.
    My dad was training to be an Army Security Agency morse code high speed interceptor at a base in Massachusetts and he was scanning channels with other trainees, listening for Sputnik, when he heard a faint "blip, blip". Turns out, he was the first American to detect it; his class got to speak with Eisenhower as a result.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-14-2016),Donder (07-17-2016),dougdirt (07-18-2016),Kingspoint (07-15-2016),Newport Red (07-17-2016),westofyou (07-14-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Good lord. So few remember how bad that fire was (165 people died).

A few links:

https://creepycincinnati.com/2014/05...per-club-site/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverl...pper_Club_fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a good one. I remember that now and it is one of the first big stories I was aware of.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

The time for me between news stories gets muddled. Crappy home life, moved a lot. I seem to recall few newsworthy items after Elvis' death and before the 84 Olympics. But some stick out. Something about the Iran Hostage Crisis. Here is why: I was 11, I think, and they broke into the debut of Battlestar Galactica. For an 11 year old, that was criminal. Then skip ahead a couple of years, The Who concert in Cincinnati. My mom tried to get tickets, but couldn't.

I moved to Cincinnati during the teacher's strike. That was a very long school year for me. 4 schools when I was in the 6th grade, 2 in Arizona, 2 in Cincinnati.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?