Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-17 Euro Soccer Thread

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

2016-17 Euro Soccer Thread

I was reminded of the approaching season when a friend of mine posted pics from Anfield (Liverpool) and Goodison Park (Everton) while on vacation.

A few things on my mind:

1. With the influx of new coaches and transfers, the EPL looks ridiculously top-heavy. Who finishes up top? Who's going to disappoint?

2. Whither Leicester City?

3. Barca, Real, Atletico -- the usual three-way tussle for La Liga and Champions League?

4. Any surprise teams lurking out there? Any chance of a title race in Germany or France where one superclub has ruled the roost recently?

5. With the news of Manchester United bidding ungodly sums for Paul Pogba, I have to admit: I've only seen all or part of maybe a dozen matches where he was involved, either with France or in the Champions League with Juve, but I've never seen whatever it is that is supposedly about to make him the most expensive transfer ever. Small and possibly unrepresentative sample size, I know.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2016-17 Euro Soccer Thread

Enlighten me on this: I heard that the EPL was beginning their season soon. Didn't they just finish their last season a month or two ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I was reminded of the approaching season when a friend of mine posted pics from Anfield (Liverpool) and Goodison Park (Everton) while on vacation.

A few things on my mind:

1. With the influx of new coaches and transfers, the EPL looks ridiculously top-heavy. Who finishes up top? Who's going to disappoint?

3. Barca, Real, Atletico -- the usual three-way tussle for La Liga and Champions League?

4. Any surprise teams lurking out there? Any chance of a title race in Germany or France where one superclub has ruled the roost recently?

5. With the news of Manchester United bidding ungodly sums for Paul Pogba, I have to admit: I've only seen all or part of maybe a dozen matches where he was involved, either with France or in the Champions League with Juve, but I've never seen whatever it is that is supposedly about to make him the most expensive transfer ever. Small and possibly unrepresentative sample size, I know.
    Leicster will be an interesting study this season. It looks like they have been able to keep their team somewhat together after last seasons run. They will be flush with cash this year with the Champions league berth as well as the proceeds from winning the title last season. LC lost 3 games last season, which is insane when you think about a team what was in relegation territory the prior year. I think a more demanding schedule will hurt them this season.

I really want to see what Morino does at Man U, guy is going to throw around a ton of money, and cast off some of LVG's signings, that either haven't panned out yet, or just have stunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Enlighten me on this: I heard that the EPL was beginning their season soon. Didn't they just finish their last season a month or two ago?
    Soccer never sleeps! EPL season runs August to May, so the break is pretty short and seems every shorter when the WC or Euros are played in the summer.

6. Likes:

westofyou (07-19-2016)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Here is a good primer for Pogba CB frame, Striker speed, and top class ball control. Add in that he is 23 and MU will have him for all of his prime, and the price tag will be high.
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 07-23-2016 at 08:17 AM.

A few things on my mind:

1. Klopp's had the time to familiarize himself with his players and turn over his roster a bit. I'm thinking Liverpool has a good year, but Tottenham is loaded and Pep Guaridola is probably going to make Man City play some champagne football. Mou has a Man U roster which he supposedly wants to tear asunder but hasn't yet. Meanwhile, stylistically he'll probably be as defense-minded as Van Gaal. That could be a disaster. I doubt any smaller club will match what Leicsester City achieved last season, but Stoke has a bunch of talent on its roster and could challenge for a top six finish.

2. Probably a rough year. Kante's gone to Chelsea and Mahrez may be gone before the season starts.

3. Yep, no one else is breaking into the top rung of La Liga.

4. Germany is a tough league. So it's always possible that Bayern will have a tough year in the league. PSG probably has an easier, but Lyon has a mostly homegrown squad that could surge.

5. Funny that Man U would have to pay that much to get back a player it had in the first place. That's a lot to pay for a left wing who's hasn't dominated top level competition.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

We're getting ready to head down to Columbus to see Real Madrid and PSG in the International Champions Cup competition. Should be interesting to see if any of the big names get some minutes. Not expecting much, but it will be fun just the same. Also, after all these years living in Ohio, I will be making my first visit to the 'Shoe.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    We're getting ready to head down to Columbus to see Real Madrid and PSG in the International Champions Cup competition. Should be interesting to see if any of the big names get some minutes. Not expecting much, but it will be fun just the same. Also, after all these years living in Ohio, I will be making my first visit to the 'Shoe.
    I went and saw Crystal Palace play at Nippert. One thing that really struck me was every single player was built like a NFL Safety. They are bigger, faster, stronger than I ever could have imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I went and saw Crystal Palace play at Nippert. One thing that really struck me was every single player was built like a NFL Safety. They are bigger, faster, stronger than I ever could have imagined.
    From what I've heard, the FC Cincinnati game was great. I would say that Real Madrid and PSG was impressive in that they packed in 80,000+, but the crowd itself was somewhat blah. My middle son and I agree that we've been to games with smaller attendance but had much better atmosphere, namely at Columbus Crew, Akron, and Brighton and Hove Albion matches. Those games all had solid supporters' sections singing and chanting throughout the match. For this match, the crowd didn't really get into things until people started doing The Wave and "O-H-I-O".
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    From what I've heard, the FC Cincinnati game was great. I would say that Real Madrid and PSG was impressive in that they packed in 80,000+, but the crowd itself was somewhat blah. My middle son and I agree that we've been to games with smaller attendance but had much better atmosphere, namely at Columbus Crew, Akron, and Brighton and Hove Albion matches. Those games all had solid supporters' sections singing and chanting throughout the match. For this match, the crowd didn't really get into things until people started doing The Wave and "O-H-I-O".
    Nippert is a great place to watch a game, especially a game in which you are only going to get 40k-50k in attendance. It is a more intimate setting with very few poor seats. It also helped that it was the home town team playing, not two international teams. I have been to many a games at OSU, and while the environment can be absolutely great, it can also be pretty dead at times. 80k in the Shoe can feel empty, as odd as that sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Nippert is a great place to watch a game, especially a game in which you are only going to get 40k-50k in attendance. It is a more intimate setting with very few poor seats. It also helped that it was the home town team playing, not two international teams. I have been to many a games at OSU, and while the environment can be absolutely great, it can also be pretty dead at times. 80k in the Shoe can feel empty, as odd as that sounds.
    I wouldn't say the Shoe felt empty. On the contrary, I've never seen so many people come to a soccer game in person. I'd say the atmosphere was lacking compared to smaller games because there weren't any strong supporters sections. People would get fired up when something good or bad happened, but other than 5 PSG supporters at the front of our section, there weren't that many people singing or chanting. Despite having a huge contingent of people of Hispanic heritage wearing Real Madrid jerseys, the crowd seemed more like an NFL crowd than a traditional soccer crowd.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm upset that I couldn't get to Ann Arbor to see Chelesea play. I'm very ready for the EPL to start -- FC Cincinnati has been amazing, but I'm excited to see my blues back in action.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Watching Arsenal on FS1 now in LA.

Not sure how I feel about these 3rd kits tbh

Liverpool is having its way with Arsenal at the moment. Aaron Ramsey already has his first injury of the season. I'm a firm believer the first month of the season, and in particular the opening weekend, tells you very little. Yet Klopp's got a pile of attacking options.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Liverpool is having its way with Arsenal at the moment. Aaron Ramsey already has his first injury of the season. I'm a firm believer the first month of the season, and in particular the opening weekend, tells you very little. Yet Klopp's got a pile of attacking options.
    Liverpool has had problems holding leads late. Here's hoping the can break that bad habit today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?