Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Alfredo Rodriguez

Re: Alfredo Rodriguez

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Chadwick Tromp effect.

16 HR in 1126 PA’s before being called up to Louisville this year.

Since then: 7 HR in 41 PA’s at Louisville.
    Chadwick Tromp was always going to bust out because he's not so secretly the coolest human on the planet.

Friends don't let friends fWAR.

Coddle thy pitchers.

2. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (08-07-2019),mace (08-07-2019),OGB (08-07-2019),podgejeff_ (08-07-2019),Revering4Blue (09-05-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Can you really call most of them pitchers?
    Belly itchers?

5. Likes:

Hobbes (09-06-2019)

Whatever AlfRod appeared to learn in Chattanooga seems to have been forgotten in Louisville. In 88 PA, he posted a .169/.261/.221 slashline. Don't think anybody ever go too high on him -- and he can turn it around again next year -- but the narrative that he figured something out this season seems to be off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Whatever AlfRod appeared to learn in Chattanooga seems to have been forgotten in Louisville. In 88 PA, he posted a .169/.261/.221 slashline. Don't think anybody ever go too high on him -- and he can turn it around again next year -- but the narrative that he figured something out this season seems to be off the mark.
    I’m still impressed with his Chattanooga line overall, if only because the expectations were so low. But yeah I’m not terribly surprised he came apart in AAA.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

AlfRod has taken a step back in AAA, but I do not think we should write off 436 AA solid PAs because of 88 AAA bad PAs. It is not like he is striking out like crazy in AAA, but he definitely has to start hitting the ball harder and getting back to hitting line drives if he wants to sustain any success in AAA, let alone the bigs.

9. Likes:

DocRed (09-06-2019),REDREAD (09-05-2019)

A .672 OPS over 436 AA PAs is not solid. That placed Rodriguez below the league average. Throw in the fact that it was a 25-year-old in AA, and a likely unsustainable .350 BABIP, and it's hard to see any light at the end of the hitting tunnel for Alfredo.

11. Likes:

BoxingRed (09-10-2019),HokieRed (09-05-2019),M2 (09-05-2019)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    A .672 OPS over 436 AA PAs is not solid. That placed Rodriguez below the league average. Throw in the fact that it was a 25-year-old in AA, and a likely unsustainable .350 BABIP, and it's hard to see any light at the end of the hitting tunnel for Alfredo.
    His wRC+ was 96 so while he was techically below average, he was very close to average. Close to average is my definition of solid.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (09-05-2019)

Also, dropped down to a .300 BABIP in AA his line would have been .254/.296/.315, which is terrible.
    Last edited by M2; 09-05-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Coddle thy pitchers.

Alf Rod showed progress this year. Not concerned about AAA performance. Late season promotions sometimes go that way. Big test will be next season at AAA.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (09-09-2019)

Hate to hit anybody with a Jose Peraza, but Alf will need to make serious strides just to catch up with "No Walk, Jose", and most of us will agree that we would like Peraza in a different uniform next spring.

I guess the real question is, is the guy's defense really that good?
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-06-2019),REDREAD (09-09-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rece Tyler View Post
    Hate to hit anybody with a Jose Peraza, but Alf will need to make serious strides just to catch up with "No Walk, Jose", and most of us will agree that we would like Peraza in a different uniform next spring.
    I want Peraza on the Reds bench come April.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-17-2019),REDREAD (09-09-2019),Stingray (09-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    I guess the real question is, is the guy's defense really that good?
    As some who've been around this board from its early days may recall, I've got a guy in Chattanooga. He's a Lookouts fans. Goes to every game. Only cares about MLB inasmuch as former Lookouts play in the bigs. Known him for a long time and I trust his eye for talent. You don't have to, but he had a pretty keen eye for Reds prospects back in the 2000s.

His take on Rodriguez's defense is he doesn't cover a lot of ground. He's sort of an average defensive AA SS but with good polish (e.g. doesn't make a lot of mistakes). If you look at his range numbers (sub-4.00 per 9 innings), it backs up that take. Direct quote - "Nick Gordon was better."

Coddle thy pitchers.

23. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (09-08-2019),texasdave (09-06-2019),Z-Fly (09-09-2019)

NM
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As some who've been around this board from its early days may recall, I've got a guy in Chattanooga. He's a Lookouts fans. Goes to every game. Only cares about MLB inasmuch as former Lookouts play in the bigs. Known him for a long time and I trust his eye for talent. You don't have to, but he had a pretty keen eye for Reds prospects back in the 2000s.

His take on Rodriguez's defense is he doesn't cover a lot of ground. He's sort of an average defensive AA SS but with good polish (e.g. doesn't make a lot of mistakes). If you look at his range numbers (sub-4.00 per 9 innings), it backs up that take. Direct quote - "Nick Gordon was better."
    Sounds like the Reds didn't do their homework on him. That's not consistent with their explanations for why they signed him

Turn Off Ads?