Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Indianapolis Colts

2016 Indianapolis Colts

First, congratulations to Tony Dungy on being enshrined in the Hall.

Secondly, good news on the injury front...1st Rd pick, C Ryan Kelly, has been cleared to practice after missing only one week and is expected to be ready for Week 1. Also, one of the steals of the 2015 NFL Draft, D-Lineman Henry Anderson, continues to rehab ahead of schedule and is also expected to be ready for Week 1. Having Anderson and Kelly ready for Week 1 will make a huge impact on both sides of the ball for the Colts.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-10-2016 at 01:30 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2016 Indianapolis Colts

I may be in the minority here, but I think Dungy was a very over rated coach. He was pretty much handed a division title for a decade in the AFC South, and had one of the top two QB's in the league for that period of time, and tended to disappoint in the playoffs. If you want to talk about what Dungy did for minority coaches in the league, then I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. But as a coach, I never thought he was a top tier coach during his tenure, I don't think that is a HOF level coach.

Indy's season will be determined by Luck staying upright and not turning the ball over. If he can do that Indy can win the division, if he can't look for another mediocre season. I do think the South is tougher now than it has been in a years. If Houston can find a decent QB they are the best team in the league, Jacksonville has talent and I don't think the Titans are going to be doormat level this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I think Dungy was a very over rated coach. He was pretty much handed a division title for a decade in the AFC South, and had one of the top two QB's in the league for that period of time, and tended to disappoint in the playoffs. If you want to talk about what Dungy did for minority coaches in the league, then I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. But as a coach, I never thought he was a top tier coach during his tenure, I don't think that is a HOF level coach.
    I agree to every bit of this 100%. I have to add that he was terrible as both the Jets' and the Chiefs Head Coach. His HoF induction had to do with his "contribution to the game", because as a HC, I found him to be less than average, even among his peers when he coached. He was also a poor evaluation of talent when he was given that position at KC.

It wasn't just "minority coaches" that he helped, but equally helped players of all races through his Christian Fellowship. He made people accountable as human beings off the field and helped many overcome and avoid troubles they had when they got in the league.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

As a Colts fan I completely understand your stance.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I agree to every bit of this 100%. I have to add that he was terrible as both the Jets' and the Chiefs Head Coach. His HoF induction had to do with his "contribution to the game", because as a HC, I found him to be less than average, even among his peers when he coached. He was also a poor evaluation of talent when he was given that position at KC.

It wasn't just "minority coaches" that he helped, but equally helped players of all races through his Christian Fellowship. He made people accountable as human beings off the field and helped many overcome and avoid troubles they had when they got in the league.
    UMMMMM.....Dungy never was the HC with the Jets or Chiefs. You are thinking of Herm Edwards.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    UMMMMM.....Dungy never was the HC with the Jets or Chiefs. You are thinking of Herm Edwards.
    Yes, I was. Easy to mix the two up, as they both rode the gravy train Sam Wyche set up with his draft picks in Tampa Bay, especially on the Defensive end. As Dungy's Assistant and DB's Coach in Tampa, their converted Cover-2, the Tampa-2, worked ideally with Wyche's draft picks, continued to work with Wyche's draft picks after Gruden took over (another highly overrated HC), but failed to work in KC and NY under Edwards and Indianapolis under Dungy.

But, Dungy was and still is the spiritual leader of the NFL during his Coaching days and now in his post-coaching career.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 08-10-2016 at 11:08 AM.

You bring up Herm Edwards, who I do think was over rated as a coach as well, but really enjoy listening to him on ESPN now.

I feel like Dungy is the guy who everyone really liked, respected, and thinks as an overall good guy. But to me, when that becomes your moniker it means you actual coaching career was less than stellar. Even his time as an analyst seems pretty blah, he is the guy who is going to go a little into detail, but he isn't going to be a guy who overly criticize another player or coach. Dungy as a coach reminds me of that girl your buddy was trying to set you up with in high school, and when you asked if she was good looking he told you, "she has a great personality!" Is Dungy a good coach, "I don't know, but he is a really good dude."

Lovie Smith did take that Tampa-2 and make it work successfully in Chicago. I think Smith is a much better Coach than either of them.

You bring up Herm Edwards, who I do think was over rated as a coach as well, but really enjoy listening to him on ESPN now.

I feel like Dungy is the guy who everyone really liked, respected, and thinks as an overall good guy. But to me, when that becomes your moniker it means you actual coaching career was less than stellar. Even his time as an analyst seems pretty blah, he is the guy who is going to go a little into detail, but he isn't going to be a guy who overly criticize another player or coach. Dungy as a coach reminds me of that girl your buddy was trying to set you up with in high school, and when you asked if she was good looking he told you, "she has a great personality!" Is Dungy a good coach, "I don't know, but he is a really good dude."
    I agree with you on Tony Dungy, but as for Herm Edwards...I can't say he's overrated 'cause he's not highly thought of (outside of ESPN). I don't know anyone who thinks he was a good coach.

Lovie Smith did take that Tampa-2 and make it work successfully in Chicago. I think Smith is a much better Coach than either of them.
    I am not a huge Lovie Smith fan, or Caldwell for that matter. Smith did build a good team in Chicago, I do wonder what he would have done had he drafted/signed/developed a decent QB. He made it to the SB with Rex Grossman, which is an accomplishment in its own, but I always wonder what would have happened had he had a first tier QB. Lovie went from Chicago-Tampa-Illinois, and now I am wondering if he ever gets a NFL gig again.

I always thought the Tampa-2 was the brain child of Kiffin, kinda like the Zone Blitz with LeBeau.

Tomlin is a heck of a coach, I don't like him, but he is a very good coach.

One of the most head scratching coaching moves fo the past few seasons was Caldwell to Detroit. It was made mention that Dungy's influence is held in high regard in NFL circles. Truth be told, I would rather have the Lewis coaching tree, Zimmer-Jackson-Gruden.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with you on Tony Dungy, but as for Herm Edwards...I can't say he's overrated 'cause he's not highly thought of (outside of ESPN). I don't know anyone who thinks he was a good coach.
    Kansas City did, and so much so that they gave him control of the draft. I thought he proved in New York his abilities, but then time can make someone better. Obviously, no one has thought so since, while offers may have also come that he turned down.

13. Likes:

bucksfan2 (08-10-2016)

I always thought the Tampa-2 was the brain child of Kiffin, kinda like the Zone Blitz with LeBeau.
    Yeah. When Kiffin (and Dungy) got there in '96, it was Sapp's 1st full season starting, Lynch's first full season starting, and, by far the best player on the team for the next 12 seasons, Derrick Brooks first full season as a Starter. Elite Defenses have always had a dominating player at all 3 levels, and Tampa Bay had this until Sapp and Lynch left around 2002-2003, right after Dungy and Edwards left. Brooks and Kiffin made 2008 their last season in Tampa Bay. Kiffin is back in the NFL as an Assistant with Jacksonville. Brooks was the penultimate 4-3 MLB and made that Tampa-2 work, just as Urlacher made it work in Chicago. Those two players would have made any Defense work.

Kansas City did, and so much so that they gave him control of the draft. I thought he proved in New York his abilities, but then time can make someone better. Obviously, no one has thought so since, while offers may have also come that he turned down.
    Does Kansas City still think highly of him? I'd tend to doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Does Kansas City still think highly of him? I'd tend to doubt it
    I would think they see his hiring as a mistake.

I would think they see his hiring as a mistake.
    I agree. I see him as an entertainer. Not an NFL head coach

Turn Off Ads?