Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Welcome to Cincinnati Raffy Lopez

Welcome to Cincinnati Raffy Lopez

Lopez up while Barnhart is out, Tony Renda down for a few days. Nice to see that .559 OPS rewarded but you need a backup catcher. Don't know the corresponding 40 man move.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Welcome to Cincinnati Raffy Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Lopez up while Barnhart is out, Tony Renda down for a few days. Nice to see that .559 OPS rewarded but you need a backup catcher. Don't know the corresponding 40 man move.
    I think i read earlier that renda was outrighted as the 40 man move

Renda was optioned down, he's still on the 40

5. Likes:

Big Klu (08-27-2016)

No 40 man move needed. Now at 40, with 4 on the 60 day DL. If they are to add Winker in September, somebody will need to go. They probably keep the extra catcher, so that probably means somebody else. Daniel Wright would seem like the logical bubble guy at this point. They could recall Moscot or Lamb and put them on the 60 Day DL to make spots as well. Service time doesn't matter with those guys and its only a month of big league pay, so that wouldn't be an expensive option.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Have to wonder what's going on in Chris Berset's head. He's the starter in Louisville, the Reds need a catcher, Berset's been with the Reds for years, and they call up HIS backup to be the big league backup.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (08-28-2016),fondfoat (08-29-2016),OGB (08-29-2016),Tom Servo (08-28-2016),Wonderful Monds (08-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Have to wonder what's going on in Chris Berset's head. He's the starter in Louisville, the Reds need a catcher, Berset's been with the Reds for years, and they call up HIS backup to be the big league backup.
    I wondered the same thing. Not sure who is considered the better defender but always thought Berset was considered good. Lopez does offer a lefty bat to carry back to the dugout after making an out, but with Cabrera a switch hitter, that makes no sense either. Both the same age. It's a pretty minor thing, but it is a little puzzling.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It's almost like the flipped on coin on who to call up.
    Go Gators!

Maybe they prefer Berset to work with the pitchers at Louisville for the remainder of their season. (No idea, just thinking out loud.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Lopez started the season in an independent league, and now is in The Show. Somewhere Crash Davis is smiling.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Maybe they prefer Berset to work with the pitchers at Louisville for the remainder of their season. (No idea, just thinking out loud.)
    That was my thought as well, but for Berset, we are talking about him making $1000 the rest of the year, or just over $100,000 the rest of the year (and getting paid more money in the future because of his big league service). That's a real kick in the boys.

14. Likes:

fondfoat (08-29-2016),OGB (08-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That was my thought as well, but for Berset, we are talking about him making $1000 the rest of the year, or just over $100,000 the rest of the year (and getting paid more money in the future because of his big league service). That's a real kick in the boys.
    Yep. I am actually disappointed by this. 7 seasons with the Reds. If it was a toss of a coin, the coin should have had two heads.

Mabye they don't plan on keeping Lopez on the 40 once Barnhart is good and didn't want to risk losing Berset with a dFA to open a slot for the expanded roster additions.

17. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-29-2016)

Turn Off Ads?