Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion #6

Re: SEC Football Discussion #6

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Add Miss State to your list. All 6 of those teams are probably worse than Southern Miss.
    Not sure about worse than Southern Miss, but it def seems after the first week the SEC is a little down this season. LSU losing to unranked Wisconsin was the worst loss of the weekend of any contending major program. SEC East looks like trash. Maybe USC getting beaten so badly by Bama was worse, that had to have hurt USC recruiting. Just a total embarrassment.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-04-2016 at 05:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Not sure about worse than Southern Miss, but it def seems after the first week the SEC is a little down this season. LSU losing to unranked Wisconsin was the worst loss of the weekend of any contending major program. SEC East looks like trash. Maybe USC getting beaten so badly by Bama was worse, that had to have hurt USC recruiting. Just a total embarrassment.
    Clay Helton was never the right coach there and USC is basically still a train wreck.

It's basically Alabama and that's it. I wasn't too surprised with LSU losing what was basically a home game for Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A friend of mine texted me after the LSU/Wisconsin game the following and I LOL'd:

"That's the last time you will see an SEC team come north of the Mason-Dixon Line to play in a regular season game in our lifetimes."

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-06-2016),jimbo (09-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Add Miss State to your list. All 6 of those teams are probably worse than Southern Miss.
    Possible but not likely. Dan Mullen has always had the Cats number.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Not sure why everyone is down on Auburn. They hung with Clemson. Auburn could still very well be one of the top 3 teams in the SEC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Not sure why everyone is down on Auburn. They hung with Clemson. Auburn could still very well be one of the top 3 teams in the SEC this year.
    Jordan Hare is a tough place to play. But it has more to do with Auburn not getting much on offense. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, teams are running some variation of Malzahns offense and defenses have figured it out.

As a head coach in college you have to keep innovating and Gus hasn't done that.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Jordan Hare is a tough place to play. But it has more to do with Auburn not getting much on offense. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, teams are running some variation of Malzahns offense and defenses have figured it out.

As a head coach in college you have to keep innovating and Gus hasn't done that.
    I don't think scheme is an issue. Yes, other teams run similar stuff so defenses are more used to it, but they run it because it works -- or, at least, it works when executed well by good players. Personnel has been the issue for Auburn, in particular the inability to find/develop a reliable quarterback. Even though Deshaun Watson had, for him, a just-okay game, the difference in the two teams amounted to "we have him and you don't."
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Youre making pretty sweeping statements based upon a first half of the first game. It didn't feel like it but Auburn out gained Clemson 224 yards to 156 in the second half played with tempo, ran the ball physically, and actually ran 48 plays. Auburn started out with with a penalty on the kick return and punted then spent the rest of the half orchestrating drives where they went to the Clemson 5, to their 36, to their 14 (kicked a field goal), to the Clemson 8, then they scored a touchdown, and weird as it was, they had two plays into the end zone during the final 30 seconds of the game.

Auburn's offense (specifically QB) just didn't make plays. Both interceptions should've been touchdowns. Sean White underthrew Davis on the deep ball which very easily could've been a TD given he had about 10 yards of separation. Chandler Cox was overthrown when he was wideopen in the endzone. Replay overturned a potential catch at the goal line. And all of this with a first half where Auburn didn't block any one.

The QB carousel in the first half was insane. Clemson threw the kitchen sink at Auburn through some different alignments etc and that was Gus' solution-rather than use tempo to dictate personnel, he used substitution to try and get matchups. It looked insane. And it points to something different than Gus hit his head. To me it suggests something that is consistent with the missed opportunities. Gus still doesn't have a QB that he trusts can make plays. It's why he went away from tempo last year and it's probably explains the nutty QB switcheroo.

An even more insane thing is that Auburn was actually just a play, perhaps a different outcome on one of the plays highlighted above, from winning that game.

But making plays is always the difference between a W or a L. Watson and Williams are kind of the other side of this narrative.

I think overall the general assessment is correct. Gus needs to bite the bullet and choose his QB, demand his guys win their blocks, run the ball and expect his QB to make a play. The silly "gonna trick people by running the offense through Chandler Cox" looked good on paper (I suppose) and Dabo certainly didn't expect it but itll be back to tempo and physical mano to mano with fingers crossed the QB position grows up as the season goes along (and that's pretty much the description of Auburn's second half-mostly White with a little Franklin in the wildcat and a very physical running attack). The season really depends upon whether the QB can make some plays. Kinda sounds like every football team, every year.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-05-2016 at 08:10 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-05-2016),Revering4Blue (09-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Stoops will be our coach next year thanks to that ridiculous contract extension.
    There is $12 million reasons he will back next year. Same ole same ole for UK football. At best this team will win 3 or 4 games. From what I saw Saturday night two may be all they get.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

"Landsharking": the act of defusing the Ole Mi$$ defense that apparently has no depth.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    There is $12 million reasons he will back next year. Same ole same ole for UK football. At best this team will win 3 or 4 games. From what I saw Saturday night two may be all they get.
    12 million is nothing. Boosters can take care of it, provided there is an upgrade. Just ask Tennessee, they are still paying Derek Dooley and Phil Fulmer.

UK has shelled out a ton of money into the program, namely in a state of the art practice facility and upgrades to Commonwealth Stadium that were desperately needed.

At the end of the day, it's all about selling tickets. Remember Jokers last year? The Vanderbilt game where they played in a half empty stadium and Kentucky lost 40-0? Fans won't show up which kills recruiting and destroys any hope of turning things around.

Stoops has done some good things. Using Ohio as a recruiting pipeline is something I wish Kentucky had done in the past, but with Michigan returning to prominence and Ohio State having its pick of recruits I wonder if that pool will dry up.

He's also improved the team with skill players on both offense and defense. Chris Westry is a future NFL draft pick. The offense is extremely explosive as was evidenced in the first half. The problem is football is won in the trenches and Kentucky has nothing on the offensive and defensive lines.

Kentucky is close, but if they don't start winning, fans will stop showing up and were right back to being a doormat in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    An even more insane thing is that Auburn was actually just a play, perhaps a different outcome on one of the plays highlighted above, from winning that game.
    OR Clemson was a few mistakes away from actually winning by 10+.

Mike Williams dropped a slant in the end zone on a drive that ended in a Clemson FG, that's -4 points. Mike Williams dropped a fade route in the end zone on a drive that ended in a field goal, another -4 points. Passed up a field goal opportunity on the final, inexplicable drive, -3 points. Mike Williams fumbled inside the Auburn 35, that drive was going to end in points without the mistake.

Yes, Auburn also passed up some scores in the 3rd and 4th quarter where they actually could've ended up only needing a FG... but to my eyes, that was closer to a Clemson 2 touchdown plus win than it ever was to an Auburn win.

That said, Auburn definitely showed me something on defense... their line played very well, the secondary basically caused Watson to go to one man the entire game, Mike Williams. They forced some turnovers. I was impressed with the Auburn defense.

Signed,
    A Clemson season ticket holder
    Last edited by DaytonFlyer; 09-06-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    OR Clemson was a few mistakes away from actually winning by 10+.

Mike Williams dropped a slant in the end zone on a drive that ended in a Clemson FG, that's -4 points. Mike Williams dropped a fade route in the end zone on a drive that ended in a field goal, another -4 points. Passed up a field goal opportunity on the final, inexplicable drive, -3 points. Mike Williams fumbled inside the Auburn 35, that drive was going to end in points without the mistake.

Yes, Auburn also passed up some scores in the 3rd and 4th quarter where they actually could've ended up only needing a FG... but to my eyes, that was closer to a Clemson 2 touchdown plus win than it ever was to an Auburn win.

That said, Auburn definitely showed me something on defense... their line played very well, the secondary basically caused Watson to go to one man the entire game, Mike Williams. They forced some turnovers. I was impressed with the Auburn defense.

Signed,
    A Clemson season ticket holder
    Alright, so you give Clemson 11 pts. I'll just go ahead and give Auburn the 28.

Jojo 28 Dayton Flyer 11.

I'll give them another 35 assuming Gus actually didn't hit his head before kickoff.

Jojo 63 Dayton Flyer 11.

So adjusting for message board posts, Auburn actually won 76 to 30. More points than I'd hope a defense would give up but it was just the first game and Clemson has a decent offense. Besides, there are things that are easily correctable, I'm told.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Kentucky is close, but if they don't start winning, fans will stop showing up and were right back to being a doormat in the SEC.
    I was under the impression that they drew quite well - all things considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I was under the impression that they drew quite well - all things considered.
    Usually they do. But they didn't sell out Saturday. Looked like a lot of empty seats in the upper ends of the stadium. More than ever you hear people saying they are tired of it all and are stopping going until a turn around actually happens. If they lose to Florida and they probably will, the attendance for New Mexico State could be one of the worst since Joker's last season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?