Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football Discussion #6

Re: SEC Football Discussion #6

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    12 million is nothing. Boosters can take care of it, provided there is an upgrade. Just ask Tennessee, they are still paying Derek Dooley and Phil Fulmer.

UK has shelled out a ton of money into the program, namely in a state of the art practice facility and upgrades to Commonwealth Stadium that were desperately needed.

At the end of the day, it's all about selling tickets. Remember Jokers last year? The Vanderbilt game where they played in a half empty stadium and Kentucky lost 40-0? Fans won't show up which kills recruiting and destroys any hope of turning things around.

Stoops has done some good things. Using Ohio as a recruiting pipeline is something I wish Kentucky had done in the past, but with Michigan returning to prominence and Ohio State having its pick of recruits I wonder if that pool will dry up.

He's also improved the team with skill players on both offense and defense. Chris Westry is a future NFL draft pick. The offense is extremely explosive as was evidenced in the first half. The problem is football is won in the trenches and Kentucky has nothing on the offensive and defensive lines.

Kentucky is close, but if they don't start winning, fans will stop showing up and were right back to being a doormat in the SEC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They just shelled out a big one to Joker. Will they pony up for another one? I don't know. I think people are finally starting to get tired of promises but no one ever fulfilling them. They may just throw their hands up and say on to basketball season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

SEC lost seven games this weekend. First time that has happened on the opening weekend since 1992.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

True, but normally they're not cramming their entire slate of good non-conference games (end of season rivalries excepted) into the same weekend. Given the quality opposition, to me, the only truly bad loss from a perspective of conference perception was LSU. The others were only surprising to S-E-C Caricature Guy.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    True, but normally they're not cramming their entire slate of good non-conference games (end of season rivalries excepted) into the same weekend. Given the quality opposition, to me, the only truly bad loss from a perspective of conference perception was LSU. The others were only surprising to S-E-C Caricature Guy.
    Miss St. losing to South Alabama was pretty bad.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Miss. State losing to South Alabama wasn't surprising?!?

Kentucky losing to USM in and of itself wasn't surprising, but blowing a 35-10 lead, getting outscored 34-0 to finish and only accumulating about 30 yards in the second half was certainly surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Usually they do. But they didn't sell out Saturday. Looked like a lot of empty seats in the upper ends of the stadium. More than ever you hear people saying they are tired of it all and are stopping going until a turn around actually happens. If they lose to Florida and they probably will, the attendance for New Mexico State could be one of the worst since Joker's last season.
    Kentucky fans do not ask for much in football. 6-6 and a bowl game win is basically job security.

We don't expect to beat Alabama or the top team in the SEC, or even play for a BCS bowl or the playoff every year,but snapping perennial losing streaks (Spurrier, Tennessee) will go a long ways.

That being said, with the SEC mandating all teams to play a major conference team (why USM is on the schedule), plus playing the SEC East, Mississippi State, one rotational SEC West opponent, and Louisville, there is only room for two FCS teams or weaker teams to schedule. Not very easy anymore to get to that level, but it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post

Kentucky losing to USM in and of itself wasn't surprising, but blowing a 35-10 lead, getting outscored 34-0 to finish and only accumulating about 30 yards in the second half was certainly surprising.
    And that's why a lot of fans (including myself) have turned on Stoops. Not to mention the coach who was supposedly the "problem" was on the other sideline.

It's one thing when it's a ranked Louisville team that we blow a big lead to like last season, it's another when it's a lesser team the first day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This probably belongs in the regular CFB thread, but oh well. The more I think about it, the more the great coaches in the game have separated themselves from the rest. Two thing happened this past weekend that really shouldn't have surprised me, but did to an extent. Bob Stoops lost in a big game, and Les Miles continued to run an offense that makes paint dry look exciting. With those two guys its the same song and dance each and every year. There isn't a team that has more mature talent than LSU, but Miles can't coach an offense to save his life.

After the games this weekend I was wondering how many programs wouldn't take Tom Herman right now. To me the short list is Alabama, OSU, FSU, maybe Clemson, maybe MSU, and I hesitate with Michigan because Harbaugh is a loose cannon. But it seems like the rest of college football continues to fall behind the 8-ball while the great coaches continue to get better. Now I know I am lucky with the level of excellence Urban has brought, but man has he changed the recruiting landscape for everyone not named Alabama. What I find ironic is LSU can't find a QB to save their lives while OSU is out there recruiting a couple of top tier QB's with each class.

I know there is quite an overreaction after week one, and also realize that the level of play in week one isn't all that great, but the same trends continue to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This probably belongs in the regular CFB thread, but oh well. The more I think about it, the more the great coaches in the game have separated themselves from the rest. Two thing happened this past weekend that really shouldn't have surprised me, but did to an extent. Bob Stoops lost in a big game, and Les Miles continued to run an offense that makes paint dry look exciting. With those two guys its the same song and dance each and every year. There isn't a team that has more mature talent than LSU, but Miles can't coach an offense to save his life.

After the games this weekend I was wondering how many programs wouldn't take Tom Herman right now. To me the short list is Alabama, OSU, FSU, maybe Clemson, maybe MSU, and I hesitate with Michigan because Harbaugh is a loose cannon. But it seems like the rest of college football continues to fall behind the 8-ball while the great coaches continue to get better. Now I know I am lucky with the level of excellence Urban has brought, but man has he changed the recruiting landscape for everyone not named Alabama. What I find ironic is LSU can't find a QB to save their lives while OSU is out there recruiting a couple of top tier QB's with each class.

I know there is quite an overreaction after week one, and also realize that the level of play in week one isn't all that great, but the same trends continue to happen.
    It really is strange how many top QBs OSU continues to bring in. I don't understand why they are falling over each other to sit on the bench. Tate Martell is a good example. OSU has another year of JT Barrett, Joe Burrow (who a friend of mine and I discussed this morning would be starting QB for the majority of college football teams right now), and Haskins on the roster. Even stranger is the fact Emory Jones is ready to sign up from the 2018 class. It is all just so bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Actually I won $5 on the LSU game. I think it was kinda insane to expect LSU with that QB to prance into hollowed ground and blow out Wisconsin. Frankly, I didn't get how easily everyone assumed that LSU had a QB.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Actually I won $5 on the LSU game. I think it was kinda insane to expect LSU with that QB to prance into hollowed ground and blow out Wisconsin. Frankly, I didn't get how easily everyone assumed that LSU had a QB.
    I don't think people thought Harris was a decent or good QB, they simply thought the LSU defense would shut down Wisconsin with a no-name QB and Fournette would have his way with the a Wisconsin defense who graduated their best linebacker.

I went into that game understanding Harris is bad, but I thought LSU would win by at least 10.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't think people thought Harris was a decent or good QB, they simply thought the LSU defense would shut down Wisconsin with a no-name QB and Fournette would have his way with the a Wisconsin defense who graduated their best linebacker.

I went into that game understanding Harris is bad, but I thought LSU would win by at least 10.
    Talent wise Wisconsin doesn't stack up well with the top teams in football. They never have had the all around talent that top notch teams have. What generally makes them good is they have continuity along the lines and in the backfield. They generally have enough pro prospects to make it interesting, and they often get a few good years out of a nice game managing QB. Ironic thing was had Wisconsin executed at all in the 1st half it could have been a 21-0 game at half.

LSU walked onto that field with a substantial talent advantage. However they have a coach who can't coach himself out of a paper bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Okay, yeah, in the sense that it's a surprise any time a major-conference team loses to a mid-pack Sun Belt outfit. But we're also talking about a Mississippi State team that was widely picked to finish last in the division and has to figure out life after Dak Prescott, so it's not like they were carrying around expectations, unlike LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

That's kind of where I was, too. Didn't expect much from the LSU passing game but I figured Fournette + turnovers would get them by Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    SEC lost seven games this weekend. First time that has happened on the opening weekend since 1992.
    One team conference, has been since 2012.
    Go Gators!

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-06-2016),jimbo (09-06-2016),RedTeamGo! (09-06-2016)

Turn Off Ads?