Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

Re: Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

Thinking of Romeo Langford, the do-it-all 6'5" SG from New Albany and the effects of the Louisville probation. I then thought about Booker in the NBA and Monk in the draft. I felt better than last week.

Langford is, IMO, a key recruit. Kentucky does very well when they have shooters on the wings. And Langford is just that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Thinking of Romeo Langford, the do-it-all 6'5" SG from New Albany and the effects of the Louisville probation. I then thought about Booker in the NBA and Monk in the draft. I felt better than last week.

Langford is, IMO, a key recruit. Kentucky does very well when they have shooters on the wings. And Langford is just that.
    Looks like from the Cairo trip like Langford may be IU material because both Cal and K have quit calling.

The bad news is Zion Williamson is trending KU, not UK. Has more to do with playing in the Adidas tournament than anything and playing with Devon Dotson, a KU recruit.

I think Kentucky is all in on Quickley, Cameron Reddish, and RJ Barrett, who just reclassified. Bol Bol will probably stay out west and Marvin Bagley will probably reclassify to this season to play for Duke or USC.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-10-2017)

To the surprise of nobody, Immanuel Quickley picks Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Trying to hold KSR responsible for UKs idiotic fans is like trying to hold Paul Finebaum responsible for Toomers Corner.

KSR even called out the fans for it. What more could they have done?

Next thing you know Pitino will be suing them.

Immanuel Quickley tells Johnathan Givony that "a couple" prospects are committing to UK before the HS basketball season begins.

I suspect, with Kansas' apparent FBI issues (and Arizona's), he's talking about Bol Bol and Zion Williamson.

If so, that's a heck of a haul. Williamson, Bol, and Quickley would give Calipari and Kentucky three top 10 recruits.

That won't likely touch Duke, though. RJ Barrett (thought to be picking between Duke and UK), Cameron Reddish, and Tre Jones are all likely Dukies.

If Barrett picks Kentucky, however, that might be the best class of all time. Adding in a guy like Shariff O'Neal and either Keldon Johnson or Quentin Grimes would be truly epic.

Kentucky's Pro Day thoughts:
    They're long and could be ridiculous defensively. Five guys with wingspans longer than 7'0"? Jesus Christ!

The athleticism they own is crazy. Killeya-Jones, Knox, Richards, Wenyan Gabriel, and especially Hami Diallo. All of them are crazy. I'm pretty sure Diallo actually jumped out of the gym at one point.

Also crazy? They've only had four practices. (And it looked rough.) Calipari coached far more than I expected him to during the "practice". At one point, he coached for 5 minutes on how to run on an angle to catch the ball from the lead guard to initiate the offense/ action.

There will be issues with shooting. Zones will be the rule against this team, not the exception. And I don't know if they have an answer at this point. (Or even if they'll develop one.) Wenyan Gabriel hit 65 threes in three minutes. That's very good. Hami Diallo has a decent stroke. Knox is smooth. Green's shot is solid, but there aren't any marksmen like Monk, Murray, or Ulis. That'll limit them a great deal, IMO. Might be a back-breaker in terms of March Madness. That said, no one will want to play them because, geez, that length. Were I coach, I'd zone trap everyone.

Calipari indicated they'll likely be a post-up team. Inverting the wings (Knox and Diallo) and letting Gabriel and Green feed them would make sense. But against zones, that might prove ineffective. At least against big zones.

The last three years, Kentucky basketball has been fun to watch. This season looks like it might be a slog. Every game will be a defensive beat-down.

Here's a scary thought: Diallo reminds me of a young Kobe Bryant. (I realize how nuts that is.) But his actions (and absent jumper) and athleticism are jaw-dropping. If he can shoot, he's an All-NBA guy. If he can't, he's the Black Mirror version of Andrew Wiggins.

For the Cats to be a top five team and national contender, Kevin Knox has to channel his inner Kevin Durant. He'll need to shoot threes at a 37+% clip and score 20 per. He's smooth. I like the length, but the shot selection is poor. Ditto Diallo.

Then again, four practices total. So sure, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Immanuel Quickley tells Johnathan Givony that "a couple" prospects are committing to UK before the HS basketball season begins.

I suspect, with Kansas' apparent FBI issues (and Arizona's), he's talking about Bol Bol and Zion Williamson.

If so, that's a heck of a haul. Williamson, Bol, and Quickley would give Calipari and Kentucky three top 10 recruits.

That won't likely touch Duke, though. RJ Barrett (thought to be picking between Duke and UK), Cameron Reddish, and Tre Jones are all likely Dukies.

If Barrett picks Kentucky, however, that might be the best class of all time. Adding in a guy like Shariff O'Neal and either Keldon Johnson or Quentin Grimes would be truly epic.
    There's still time to work on Barrett, but there is also a possibility with this class having some holdovers.

Diallo and Knox may be the only two in the NBA next season. Maybe Nick Richards, but Jarred Vanderbilt getting injured may affect his draft stock.

This team feels more like 2012-2013. They will probably make the tournament though unlike that team, but it's ultimately laying the foundation for a beastly team in 2018-2019.

Turn Off Ads?