Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

Re: Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

Love the UK backcourt this year. Briscoe, Fox and Monk can't be matched by anyone. Then enough bigs to throw at whoever that foul trouble shouldn't hurt too bad. I've watched a few of their games and this definitely appears to be the fastest, most exciting Cal team at UK. Outside shooting seemed to be the only ? but from what I've seen they're loaded there as well.

So impressed by how Cal can get these guys to play so well together, with so much turnover, and so many freshman w/o any experience. Even as a HOFer he's still underrated for what he does imo.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (11-29-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Outside shooting seemed to be the only ? but from what I've seen they're loaded there as well.
    It'll be a question all year.

Monk's either streaky, or he's found another level over the past three games. If it's the latter, shooting is less a problem.

Not only that, the combination of Gabriel and Willis look to be top-notch shooters as stretch fours. (Both have exceptional form and quick releases.) Having that spot locked down with Monk on the floor at crunch time lessens the need for another pure shooter.

If they do need another shooter, Mulder's been lights out so far this year. He's a wing who can bust zones from long range. (Though admittedly, he struggles defensively and on the boards.)

Fox doesn't have bad form. I suspect he'll begin hitting his share of those long-range shots too. If he does, he's a PotY candidate.

Overall, while shooting could be a problem, it doesn't look to be the Achilles' Heel that it was for the 2010 squad with Bledsoe, Wall, Cousins, et al.

(Of course, all of this is said after a total of give games against cupcakes and an undermanned MSU team. We'll find out more about this team over the next two weeks.)

No one's mentioned this, but my biggest worry, going forward, isn't jump shooting: it's defending other teams' with Cal's fours. Neither Gabriel nor Willis is a defense-first guy. Which is a shock, as I assumed Gabriel to be just that coming into the season. He cannot guard other teams on a straight-ahead drive and is so far unwilling to sit down in front of them. Good, veteran teams will look for that mismatch and eat him up. Willis is no better (though he does have a knack for blocks). They could go small, but that puts Mulder in that spot, and he's worse than either of the other options. They could go big, but Adebayo's a foul waiting to happen and that limits the floor spacing, shooting, and passing offensively. A guy who played well last night and could help in limited minutes is Killeya-Jones. He's got Trey Lyles type game but is a foul waiting to happen too. All in all, this is a remarkably talented squad with few weaknesses.

Of course, UNC is awesome and a veteran team. Virginia is phenomenal. Villanova is ultra-athletic. Kansas, IU, and Louisville can beat anyone on a given day. Arizona is super tall (and Mikkanen is fun to watch). And Duke has three players out who may make them a pro team. This year's basketball season is ridiculously fun to watch and the level of play is already higher than it's been for a few years. Last night's Butler/ Arizona tilt was an NCAA game, it was so good.

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-28-2016),Revering4Blue (11-26-2016)

Looking at it way early, who is this years Wisconsin (extremely efficient offensive team) that could derail Kentucky? My guess is UNC.

I'm starting to think 2015 is the ceiling but with a couple of losses. Pick two of UNC, UCLA, Kansas, and Louisville

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looking at it way early, who is this years Wisconsin (extremely efficient offensive team) that could derail Kentucky?
    If Kentucky plays its best, there are only a couple teams who have the horses to beat them.

UNC is one, for sure. Long at four positions, veterans who've dealt with and seen just about everything. But they're turnover-prone (14 per game). Against an aggressive team like UK, that means extra possessions. They also rely on a motion offense that could play right into Kentucky's strengths as a defense (ie, dependence on cross-court reversals, high-low passes, focus on post looks). Their fast break might also be limited by Kentucky's athleticism and length. (Assuming, of course, that freshmen play the way they're supposed to.)

Duke is, IMO, more talented and nearly as athletic as UK. They are the team to beat. Assuming they are healthy. They do have defensive issues (so far, with three reserves playing larger roles than they might otherwise)-- they're susceptible to back-door cuts and (as if often the case with a Coach K team) mismatches on pick and rolls. Still, that talent level is awesome. They're fun to watch. Offensively, they might be the perfect basketball team.

Virginia plays phenomenal defense and is long, but I don't think they have the athletes at every position that UK has.

Kansas could get there if Bragg learns quicker than did Alexander and other KU freshmen bigs under Self. They have dominant guards.

Nova could beat them if they shoot lights out from deep, but Kentucky should eat them up on the boards and under the basket.

Obviously, others could as well.

I am cautiously optimistic this could be a special season. Meaning three or less losses. That guard trio is looking phenomenal. Extremely quick and they be just good enough from the outside to keep teams honest. Gabriel is looking better and better. He's like a whirling dervish out there similar to MKG except he can shoot better from the outside. Bam hasn't really shown what he can do yet but he's going to be awfully good underneath the basket. The defense should be har to contend with. Those guards are just so quick its hard to shake them. We will know more in the next three weeks. Schedule starts picking up tonight and then gets as hard as it can get with UNC and UL in about a five day span. I'm trying hard no to be too excited but it's hard not be be when you see that talent out there on the floor.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

DeAron Fox one assist away from only the second triple double in UK history.

I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

There it is!

14 pts, 11 rebounds, 10 assists

11. Likes:

goreds2 (11-29-2016)

There it is!

14 pts, 11 rebounds, 10 assists

Who was the first?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Kentucky Wildcats 2016-2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Who was the first?
    Chris Mills did it in 1988.

Chris Mills did it in 1988.
    I forget he even attended UK, all I think of when hearing his name is a box full of money.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

First time since the 77-78 season UK has scored 100 points 3 straight games. That season turned out well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

16. Likes:

goreds2 (11-29-2016),WMR (11-29-2016)

I see a WMR sighting

18. Likes:

WMR (11-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    First time since the 77-78 season UK has scored 100 points 3 straight games. That season turned out well.
    How many Hoosiers were on that squad?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    How many Hoosiers were on that squad?
    Kyle Macy was on that team. We appreciate you sending him this way.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

goreds2 (11-29-2016),WMR (11-29-2016)

Kentucky Basketball: Jay Bilas believes Wildcats have a ‘once-in-a-generation’ pair (guards)

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/...eneration-pair
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Turn Off Ads?