Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I would be surprised if Archie is even be interested in the Ohio State job. I think when he does leave, it'll be for a top tier job, and I just don't think Ohio State is considered in that group.
    What job do you think he's getting that is better than Ohio State? Archie has done well at UD, but it's not like he's in Brad Stevens territory. He's not getting a UK, Kansas, or UNC type job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Following Thursday night’s 76-75 loss to No. 20 Purdue, Ohio State head coach Thad Matta announced in the post-game press conference that junior forward Keita Bates-Diop will miss the remainder of the season, as he requires season-ending surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left leg
    While this is, no doubt, a loss, IMHO, in what's shaping up as a whacked-out B1G season (in which anyone can apparently beat anyone, anywhere) this doesn't end the hopes for a Buckeye at large NCAA bid. Bell and Wesson will have to step it up, though.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    What job do you think he's getting that is better than Ohio State? Archie has done well at UD, but it's not like he's in Brad Stevens territory. He's not getting a UK, Kansas, or UNC type job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Archie is an ACC guy, played at NC state, I would expect him to go south.

And taking UD to the elite 8 with the roster he had was incredible.

How was that shot clock violation not reviewed last night? I'm not sure of the college review rules, but that was so obvious I'm surprised they missed it live.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

That was incredibly impressive, but he hasn't exactly had a Gregg Marshall-esque follow-on to that run. Maybe should have gotten out while the getting was good (assuming he wants to leave). I don't think he's perceived as the white hot star he once was, but if guys like Josh Pastner are getting ACC jobs, Archie can certainly land one at some point if he wants, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That was incredibly impressive, but he hasn't exactly had a Gregg Marshall-esque follow-on to that run. Maybe should have gotten out while the getting was good (assuming he wants to leave). I don't think he's perceived as the white hot star he once was, but if guys like Josh Pastner are getting ACC jobs, Archie can certainly land one at some point if he wants, too.
    Archie's predessor, Brian Gregory got the Georgia Tech job after having a .647 winning percentage and going to the tournament 2 out of 8 seasons with only 1 win. Archie has a .685 winning percentage and has gone 3 out of 5 years with an elite 8 appearance and another 2nd round appearance. He is on pace to go again this season, even though he lost his starting center in the offseason to sudden death and starting small forward to an early season injury.

Archie's star is shining as bright as ever.

Archie's predessor, Brian Gregory got the Georgia Tech job after having a .647 winning percentage and going to the tournament 2 out of 8 seasons with only 1 win. Archie has a .685 winning percentage and has gone 3 out of 5 years with an elite 8 appearance and another 2nd round appearance. He is on pace to go again this season, even though he lost his starting center in the offseason to sudden death and starting small forward to an early season injury.

Archie's star is shining as bright as ever.
    I'm not saying Archie's not a good coach. And the fact that Gregory was replaced by Pastner doesn't really say much about that Georgia Tech situation. That's some awful hiring X 2. I just disagree with your last sentence. He's definitely NOT the white hot star he was when they made the Elite Eight. He's won one NCAA Tournament games in the two years since (granted, a quite impressive win over a very good Providence team), but they haven't had the types of regular seasons to put themselves into great shape to win in the NCAA Tournament.

If Archie wants to go, he can get a "better" job no doubt. He's just not the hottest name on everyone's list anymore.

10. Likes:

bucksfan2 (01-06-2017)

Archie is an ACC guy, played at NC state, I would expect him to go south.

The Miller family is from the Pittsburgh area. His dad is a high school basketball coaching legend in Western PA. He hasn't lived in ACC territory in more than a decade. He could certainly end up in ACC, but he's a Midwest guy more than an ACC guy. I still say he ends up as Matta's successor and I think there's a very good chance that change happens after this season.

The Miller family is from the Pittsburgh area. His dad is a high school basketball coaching legend in Western PA. He hasn't lived in ACC territory in more than a decade. He could certainly end up in ACC, but he's a Midwest guy more than an ACC guy. I still say he ends up as Matta's successor and I think there's a very good chance that change happens after this season.
    I know all of that about his family.

I just don't see why he would be interested in going to an inferior situation to the one he currently is in, unless UD doesn't pay him, which I think they will. OSU basketball fans are awful compared to UD, UD Arena is such a better atmosphere than the Scott or whatever it's called now, Matta has extremely mediocre players on the roster - so, he would be starting completely fresh, your team is the ultimate second fiddle because of the football program. I like OSU bball and all but I can think of dozens of programs I would choose before it, multiple in the state of Ohio.

I know all of that about his family.

I just don't see why he would be interested in going to an inferior situation to the one he currently is in, unless UD doesn't pay him, which I think they will. OSU basketball fans are awful compared to UD, UD Arena is such a better atmosphere than the Scott or whatever it's called now, Matta has extremely mediocre players on the roster - so, he would be starting completely fresh, your team is the ultimate second fiddle because of the football program. I like OSU bball and all but I can think of dozens of programs I would choose before it, multiple in the state of Ohio.
    Matta made $3.2mm last year. Archie made $1.16mm.

Matta has pulled in multiple top 10 recruiting classes. Per 247 sports, 2007 was 2nd, 2007 was 6th, 2008 was 4th, 2010 was 2nd, 2011 was 6th, 2014 was 6th, 2015 was 7th. Archie will never be ever to do that at UD. I'm not sure any other Ohio program has pulled in a top 10 program since Huggins left UC. Ohio State is the best job in Ohio bar none and a top 15 job overall. The money and resources make it so. Ohio State's problem has not been pulling in talent the last few years, it has been coaching that talent up.

Matta made $3.2mm last year. Archie made $1.16mm.

Matta has pulled in multiple top 10 recruiting classes. Per 247 sports, 2007 was 2nd, 2007 was 6th, 2008 was 4th, 2010 was 2nd, 2011 was 6th, 2014 was 6th, 2015 was 7th. Archie will never be ever to do that at UD. I'm not sure any other Ohio program has pulled in a top 10 program since Huggins left UC. Ohio State is the best job in Ohio bar none and a top 15 job overall. The money and resources make it so. Ohio State's problem has not been pulling in talent the last few years, it has been coaching that talent up.
    No question the OSU job is the best in Ohio bar none.

Worth noting:

2017 recruiting rankings currently has Xavier at #9 in the nation
    OSU #60
    UC #62

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Bas...teTeamRankings

You could almost say this is a must win tonight with no "quality win" for the Buckeyes currently.

Ohio State Buckeyes
    10-6, 13th in Big Ten
    Today, 7:00 PM on ESP2
    Kohl Center, Madison, Wisconsin

Ohio State
    Buckeyes
    (10-6)

@
    Wisconsin
    Badgers
    (13-3)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Well, that's a problem then, because winning this game is quite unlikely.

Thad Matta's GOT to go, hey hey, ho ho

Thad Matta's GOT to go, hey hey, ho ho
    Thad right now reminds me of the last days of Huggins in Cincinnati. His recruiting got lazy, the performance on the court dipped, the only difference between the two was UC was able to win 20+ games and make the tournament because they were in a weaker division.

I find it very difficult to criticize a college player, I just don't feel its right. Saying that, I have grown tired of watching the Mark Loving show, his game has regressed ever since his mid-season suspension, he has never really grown into a leader that many thought he would be. Now he is a turnover machine on the court when he should be the best player on the court.

I want to see Lyle take over, I want to see him become the player he can be. I do not want to see Tate bringing the ball up the court anymore. I like his heart and his pit bull mentality, but plays out of control too often just trying the get the offense starting. Potter and Wesson should log more and more minutes, no sense having them ride the bench when they can gain important playing time.

Getting beat at Wisconsin isn't that big of a deal, getting beat the way they did is.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-14-2017)

Turn Off Ads?