Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 467

Thread: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

  1. #16
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,792

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Fire Matta

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Fire Matta
    Really?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  4. #18
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,792

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Really?
    I have to keep up appearances.

    But seriously, they have at times looked ok this year, the FAU loss was inexcusable, though.

  5. #19
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have to keep up appearances.

    But seriously, they have at times looked ok this year, the FAU loss was inexcusable, though.
    Rumblings in Columbus?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  6. #20
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    10,792

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Rumblings in Columbus?
    Idk, I'm the anti-Matta redzoner

  7. Likes:

    Assembly Hall (12-17-2016)

  8. #21
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Idk, I'm the anti-Matta redzoner
    LOL......well hypothetically who would the Bucknuts target if they canned Thad?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  9. #22
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,884

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    LOL......well hypothetically who would the Bucknuts target if they canned Thad?
    I have no idea, but it would probably be one of the better coaching jobs in the country. OSU has the money to throw around and the facilities that a few years ago used to be up to NBA standards.

    I am slowly moving to the idea that they need a fresh voice at the top of OSU basketball. Thad's run probably has been the best in school history, and I think it would be the hands down best but the absence of a title hurts. Thad had everything clicking for almost a decade. He went from the Thad five, to another top tier recruiting class after one lull. His biggest problem was that he whiffed with a highly ranked class about 6 year ago now. The Sam Thompson, Amir Williams, Sam McDonald, etc. class was very highly ranked, but hit the ground with a thud. Last years class was ranked high, but hit with another thud, and most of the player quit on the team. I thought Giddons had potential, Grandstalf couldn't play defense, and Mitchell transferred some some directional California school.

    I do like this current team, they just seem to be missing something. I watched some of the UCLA game and they were close most of the game, just couldn't get over the hump. But you watch them play and Potter seems like he is going to be a nice player, Bates-Diop should dominate, but disappears at times, Lyle is fantastic some moments and then a disaster at times, and Tate plays his tail off, but is a 6'4" guy playing in the post. Don't get me started on Loving, his mannerisms should tell you every thing you need to know about him.

    If they fail to make the tournament this season, I would need to see some pretty solid evidence to stay on the keep Thad bandwagon.

  10. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    991

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have no idea, but it would probably be one of the better coaching jobs in the country.
    Take off those scarlet-colored glasses.

    The job certainly has its perks, but the program lacks history and tradition and will always be second banana to football (which starts at the very top of the university and impacts nearly every aspect of the program). The Schottenstein Center/Value City Arena is a corporate barn; it stands as one of the biggest stadium failures in recent memory.

  11. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (12-19-2016)

  12. #24
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    11,884

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Take off those scarlet-colored glasses.

    The job certainly has its perks, but the program lacks history and tradition and will always be second banana to football (which starts at the very top of the university and impacts nearly every aspect of the program). The Schottenstein Center/Value City Arena is a corporate barn; it stands as one of the biggest stadium failures in recent memory.
    The OSU athletic department has more money than every singled department sans Texas. They continue to be on the cutting edge of upgrades and facilities. Sure the Schott has a sterile feeling to it, but when OSU is good, it is a very good place to play, especially since they moved the students close to the court.

    I don't think tradition matters all that much in basketball anymore. When the top players are only there for a semester plus, they don't get to take in the entire "tradition." In the B1G I can think of two jobs that rival OSU or are better, MSU and IU, and maybe Michigan because of the same reasons as OSU. I think money and facilities make it a top tier job, maybe not a blue blood job (UK, Duke, Kansas, and UNC) but its up there.

  13. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    3,525

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    OSU is probably a top 10ish job because of Thad's time there. You're behind the obvious group (Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA and Louisville), but after that OSU is probably close to as good as or as good as any job.

  14. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (12-19-2016)

  15. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    991

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    OSU is probably a top 10ish job because of Thad's time there. You're behind the obvious group (Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA and Louisville), but after that OSU is probably close to as good as or as good as any job.
    I do think history and a tradition matter. It's not the end all be all of a program but it makes for a more loyal and stable (in size, not psyche) fanbase.

    I think the Ohio State job is a very good job, but not in the top tier (I'd include Syracuse and maybe Arizona to your list). After the traditional basketball schools, it's essentially a battle of athletic department budgets. Texas and Texas A&M are well ahead of Ohio State there, then Ohio State is third and a number of well-funded, relatively successful programs come after.

    I'd say Ohio State sits comfortably in the second tier of big money schools but I don't know that that ensures a home run hire. As in all coaching decisions, careful what you wish for.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 12-19-2016 at 12:44 PM.

  16. #27
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    1,431

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I do think history and a tradition matter. It's not the end all be all of a program but it makes for a more loyal and stable (in size, not psyche) fanbase.

    I think the Ohio State job is a very good job, but not in the top tier (I'd include Syracuse and maybe Arizona to your list). After the traditional basketball schools, it's essentially a battle of athletic department budgets. Texas and Texas A&M are well ahead of Ohio State there, then Ohio State is third and a number of well-funded, relatively successful programs come after.

    I'd say Ohio State sits comfortably in the second tier of big money schools but I don't know that that ensures a home run hire. As in all coaching decisions, careful what you wish for.
    Ohio State is tied for 7th with Louisville in all time in Final Four appearances (doesn't include one that was stripped by NCAA). How does Syracuse or Arizona have more tradition? Arizona could be argued for being a better job because there are so few dominate schools on the West Coast, but Syracuse's success is due to Boeheim, not because the program itself is that great. Syracuse had one Final Four all time before Boeheim got there.

    And Texas A&M doesn't have a bigger budget than Ohio State on average. A&M is raking in donations to renovate the football field, so its revenue was inflated in 2016.

  17. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (12-20-2016),bucksfan2 (12-20-2016),Revering4Blue (12-19-2016)

  18. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    991

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Ohio State is tied for 7th with Louisville in all time in Final Four appearances (doesn't include one that was stripped by NCAA). How does Syracuse or Arizona have more tradition? Arizona could be argued for being a better job because there are so few dominate schools on the West Coast, but Syracuse's success is due to Boeheim, not because the program itself is that great. Syracuse had one Final Four all time before Boeheim got there.

    And Texas A&M doesn't have a bigger budget than Ohio State on average. A&M is raking in donations to renovate the football field, so its revenue was inflated in 2016.
    Regarding the budgets, I just pulled USA Today's 2014-2015 budgets.

    Figuring the blue bloods of college basketball is obviously a very subjective topic. Indiana comes behind Ohio State on total final fours, but I don't know anyone who would say Ohio State has a more historic basketball program. You can carve up the data any way you'd like to come up with your personal list of historic powers. There are 15 programs with more national championships.

    The point remains. Ohio State's basketball is a second tier program. Firing That Matta, arguably the most successful coach in the program's history, is no guarantee for future success. The team seems to be trending in the wrong direction, but Bill Self ain't walking through that door.

  19. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,282

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    This name may have been mentioned already, but I've always assumed Archie Miller is OSU's head-coach-in-waiting.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

  20. Likes:

    RiverRat13 (12-22-2016)

  21. #30
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    This name may have been mentioned already, but I've always assumed Archie Miller is OSU's head-coach-in-waiting.
    Chris Mack as well?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | JaxRed | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | RedsfaninMT | The Operator