Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Chris Mack as well?
    Given that he's a Xavier alum, I don't see him making that move. Maybe to Louisville when Pitino retires, because his wife is a good Shively girl.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Given that he's a Xavier alum, I don't see him making that move. Maybe to Louisville when Pitino retires, because his wife is a good Shively girl.
    Perhaps, but didnt he leave X once to be with Prosser at Wake?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Perhaps, but didnt he leave X once to be with Prosser at Wake?
    I think it's pretty different to move as an assistant vs. moving as a head coach.

Also, Big East Xavier is a different animal than A-10 Xavier.

I think it's pretty different to move as an assistant vs. moving as a head coach.

Also, Big East Xavier is a different animal than A-10 Xavier.
    True that.....but can he win a championship at Xavier? He can at tOSU. Or is he the next Mark Few?

Sure, he can win a championship at Xavier. He had a good enough team to win one last year. Will he? Who knows.

Now that Xavier is in the Big East, it's not really comparable to a Mark Few situation anymore. Plus, Few may well win one yet at Gonzaga. His team this year is awesome.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-20-2016)

Sure, he can win a championship at Xavier. He had a good enough team to win one last year. Will he? Who knows.

Now that Xavier is in the Big East, it's not really comparable to a Mark Few situation anymore. Plus, Few may well win one yet at Gonzaga. His team this year is awesome.
    I have always like Gonzaga, rooted for them when they haven't played OSU or UC. I do think their talent level is that of a power team. Their biggest issue is after conference seasons starts, their season boils down to one or two tough games against tournament competition. I think it shows up in the tournament when you have to win 6 games against tournament competition. Those dog fights that most power conference teams go through in the regular season really pay dividends when you come tournament time. Its not a requisite, but it does help.

The comparison that I made didn't reflect on the schools or what conference they play in. It is just that Few has elected to stay with the 'Zags.....hence does Mack stay with X? You know Few has turned down many offers, Mack is gonna be getting a plenty of them.

Well yeah, but the comparison only makes sense if you think a guy normally would leave. I mean, you're not comparing him to Izzo. There really are very few jobs significantly better than Xavier now (making it worth leaving), and it's all about conference affiliation and ability to recruit.

Ya just never know when a marquee job will come open. And everybody's definition of marquee is different and money talks.

Ya just never know when a marquee job will come open. And everybody's definition of marquee is different and money talks.
    Fair enough. I just don't think a comparison to Few and Gonzaga makes sense anymore.

And I certainly can't say for sure Mack wouldn't take the OSU job if offered. I would just be surprised.

Fair enough. I just don't think a comparison to Few and Gonzaga makes sense anymore.

And I certainly can't say for sure Mack wouldn't take the OSU job if offered. I would just be surprised.
    Fair enough on this end as well.

I just look at the "hot" commodities out there in the game today and Mack is one of them. Miller and Marshall would be two others. A couple of others I would take good looks at are Collins at Northwestern and Holtmann from Butler.

Marshall, I think, has a specific job or two that he's targeting. He's not a young man anymore, and I think he'd be perfectly happy finishing his career at Wichita State. But I think he's got a list. No idea if Ohio State is on it.

I'm almost certain he'd have gone to Texas if they had approached him instead of Shaka.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    This name may have been mentioned already, but I've always assumed Archie Miller is OSU's head-coach-in-waiting.
    I would be surprised if the next Ohio State coach is anyone but Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    It is all about timing. He ain't gonna wait forever for the Bucknut job.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I would be surprised if Archie is even be interested in the Ohio State job. I think when he does leave, it'll be for a top tier job, and I just don't think Ohio State is considered in that group.

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-06-2017)

Turn Off Ads?