Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Winning is fun.

Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Thad right now reminds me of the last days of Huggins in Cincinnati. His recruiting got lazy, the performance on the court dipped, the only difference between the two was UC was able to win 20+ games and make the tournament because they were in a weaker division.
    Matta's recruiting hasn't been lazy, the problem is he has neglected good Ohio kids in favor chasing bigger name out-of-state recruits who ultimately go elsewhere. You could leave out Kennard and Bragg and still field a very good team with Ohio kids who went elsewhere. This is what did-in Randy Ayers. People remember the trouble-makers he recruited which obviously hurt, but the bigger problem is that he started chasing the Jason Kidds and Jamario O'Neals and allowed guys like Aaron Hutchens and Evan Eschmeyer to go elsewhere and have good college careers. Urban Meyer can getaway with having a recruiting class where 75% of the guys are from out-of-state. Thad Matta or any OSU basketball coach cannot.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

So what happened?

Well, the easy answer is that they’re not getting the same level of talent into the program that they were before. They reached the national title game with Greg Oden, Mike Conley and Daequan Cook on the roster. The reached the Final Four in 2012 with Jared Sullinger, Aaron Craft and DeShaun Thomas. Evan Turner won a player of the year awards. D’angelo Russell was an all-american.

They don’t have anyone anywhere near that level right now, unless you have a drastically different opinion of JaQuan Lyle than I do.

Then there is the issue of the guys they actually do bring in. Their 2015 recruiting class consisted of Lyle and four players that have transferred out of the program. Outside or Russell, who left after one season, no one in the 2014 class turned into much more than a role player in the Big Ten. None of the 2016 recruits Ohio State landed have been instant impact guys, and this is all while the most talented players in the state of Ohio – Luke Kennard, Carlton Bragg, Nick Ward, Nigel Hayes, V.J. King, Omari Spellman, Devin Williams, Esa Ahmad … do you get the point by now? – have ended up elsewhere.

Three straight lean recruiting classes combined with the fact that the best players from the program’s natural recruiting base have gone elsewhere is an easy way to drive a Big Ten title contender into the conference’s cellar.
    Ohio State, the best program in the Big Ten four years ago, is now 0-4 in the league.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...in-the-league/
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Ohio State, the best program in the Big Ten four years ago, is now 0-4 in the league.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...in-the-league/

I liked the jab the author took at Lyle!!!!!!!
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Matta's recruiting hasn't been lazy, the problem is he has neglected good Ohio kids in favor chasing bigger name out-of-state recruits who ultimately go elsewhere. You could leave out Kennard and Bragg and still field a very good team with Ohio kids who went elsewhere. This is what did-in Randy Ayers. People remember the trouble-makers he recruited which obviously hurt, but the bigger problem is that he started chasing the Jason Kidds and Jamario O'Neals and allowed guys like Aaron Hutchens and Evan Eschmeyer to go elsewhere and have good college careers. Urban Meyer can getaway with having a recruiting class where 75% of the guys are from out-of-state. Thad Matta or any OSU basketball coach cannot.
    We can pretty much track the decline in the program to the Amir Williams/Shannon Scott class. It was a class in which Thad brought in a ton of talent, all raw but talented players, but a class that never fully developed. While I think Scott was a heck of a guard for OSU during his tenure, he never fully developed like many thought he was. To make matters worse, there was a former teammate of Jarred Sullinger's dying to play at OSU, who ended up going to Michigan because Thad wouldn't offer him a scholarship, Trey Burke. Wisconsin has made some nice inroads into Ohio getting guys like Hayes and Jackson, both would have looked great on OSU teams in the past and the current version. Caris LaVert was another guy who went up north that was from Columbus. OSU is always going to lose guys from the state because of the numbers as well as coaches who have inroads in the state already. But the problem for Thad has been he toiled with an lethargic highly rated class for four years while quality OSU talent was going elsewhere.

Its ironic that last years highly rated class saw transfers to DePaul, N. Mexico St, Alabama, and a directional California school. Thad may have done a decent job in recruiting highly rated players, but he whiffed in terms of guys playing basketball. I don't think this current team is all that bad, they just haven't been able to gel. They have guys playing out of position, guys who just have never fulfilled their promise, and continue to lose in the most maddening ways.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-16-2017),RiverRat13 (01-16-2017)

Nice win last night after trailing by as much as 12 on the road.

Ohio State Buckeyes
    12-7, 13th in Big Ten
    Final - Yesterday, 9:00 PM
    Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska

Ohio State
    Buckeyes(12-7)

Nebraska
    Cornhuskers(9-9)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.
    Watched the 2013 Playoff Clincher on FSO - Fiance' is a UK fan
    GO STEELERS - Go Buckeyes - Go SIXERS

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Nice win last night after trailing by as much as 12 on the road.

Ohio State Buckeyes
    12-7, 13th in Big Ten
    Final - Yesterday, 9:00 PM
    Pinnacle Bank Arena, Lincoln, Nebraska

Ohio State
    Buckeyes(12-7)

Nebraska
    Cornhuskers(9-9)
    A winning streak! A positive Marc Loving moment! What is happening?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    A winning streak! A positive Marc Loving moment! What is happening?!?
    I noticed a couple of things I really wanted to see happen with OSU last night.

Lyle was aggressive and looking to score. I think he is their best player, he is the one guy on the team who can really create his own shot, and they are better when he does look to create. There are times where Lyle ends up with a bad shot, but when you consider a Lyle bad shot as opposed to a Tate bad shot, I will take Lyle.

Tate quit bringing the ball up the court. Tate at time gets sloppy which leads to turn overs or poor shots. If he doesn't handle the ball until he is on the offensive side of the court, the team is better. Even when he goes coast to coast on a loose ball, it seems more often than not bad things happen.

David Bell get some clutch playing time. I still want to see Potter log more minutes, and want to see Cam Williams break out of his funk, but they put two wins together, and have a winnable game against NW coming up. They could be on a winning streak!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I noticed a couple of things I really wanted to see happen with OSU last night.

Lyle was aggressive and looking to score. I think he is their best player, he is the one guy on the team who can really create his own shot, and they are better when he does look to create. There are times where Lyle ends up with a bad shot, but when you consider a Lyle bad shot as opposed to a Tate bad shot, I will take Lyle.

Tate quit bringing the ball up the court. Tate at time gets sloppy which leads to turn overs or poor shots. If he doesn't handle the ball until he is on the offensive side of the court, the team is better. Even when he goes coast to coast on a loose ball, it seems more often than not bad things happen.

David Bell get some clutch playing time. I still want to see Potter log more minutes, and want to see Cam Williams break out of his funk, but they put two wins together, and have a winnable game against NW coming up. They could be on a winning streak!
    They can win the next 3 I think and they really need to. Just going through the schedule I have them going 18-13 overall and 8-10 in the Big 10, which is obviously not a tournament team. I have them losing to Maryland twice, Wisconsin again, @ Michigan and @ Michigan State. If they want to make the tournament they need to go 2-3 in those games and not 0-5 and also can't do something stupid like lose to Rutgers.

If the Buckeyes has any shot of an NCAA bid, is this a must win?

Ohio State Buckeyes
    13-9, 12th in Big Ten
    Tomorrow, 7:00 PM on ESPN
    Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio

Maryland
    Terrapins
    (19-2)

@
    Ohio State
    Buckeyes
    (13-9)

Listened to the 2005 Div. Clincher on WLW - Watched the 2012 Div. Clincher on FOX.

Ohio State Buckeyes
    13-9, 12th in Big Ten

Maryland
    Terrapins
    (19-2)

@
    Ohio State
    Buckeyes
    (13-9)
    I'd say that's affirmative and then run the table other than lose only to MD down there and maybe Wisc at home.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

Ohio State Buckeyes
    13-9, 12th in Big Ten

Maryland
    Terrapins
    (19-2)

@
    Ohio State
    Buckeyes
    (13-9)
    If they have any shot at a tournament bid they will need to win the Big 10 tournament.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (02-01-2017)

Ohio State Buckeyes
    13-9, 12th in Big Ten

Maryland
    Terrapins
    (19-2)

@
    Ohio State
    Buckeyes
    (13-9)
    I missed the game but looks like we were competitive?

Ohio State Buckeyes
    13-10, 12th in Big Ten
    Final - Yesterday, 7:00 PM

Maryland
    Terrapins(20-2)

Ohio State
    Buckeyes(13-10)

Buh Bye, Matta!

I missed the game but looks like we were competitive?

Ohio State Buckeyes
    13-10, 12th in Big Ten
    Final - Yesterday, 7:00 PM

Maryland
    Terrapins(20-2)

Ohio State
    Buckeyes(13-10)
    I watched bits and pieces, its the same old story with this team.

Its hard to criticize a college athlete, but man its time for Mark Loving to go. The guy has been synonymous with this program for four years now, inconsistent, lazy, hot and then cold, etc. He would make a good play, make a bad defensive play, take a stupid shot, hang his head and get back on defense late and allow another bucket, etc. Loving could allow the other team to go on a 6-0 run all by himself.

This team often plays the game close, allows one stretch to get out of hand, and loses the game because of it. In almost all of their games they have found themselves down at least 10 points because of lazy ball. Potter and Wesson need the most minutes going forward, the Jr's and Loving need to earn every minute they play, because their time is up.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Buh Bye, Matta!
    You think he is gone?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?