Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Golf Season Thread

2016-2017 Golf Season Thread

I control+f'd the first four or 5 pages till I found the 2015 golf thread so I figured we needed a new one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2016-2017 Golf Season Thread

So whatever anyone expected of Tiger on his return to the Hero World Challenge, I think it's safe to say he's been better than expected.

I must be old because I still miss starting the season with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby.

The Americans had a great Ryder Cup to end 2016. There's really a ton of good players making it nice not to have Tiger Woods' name not mentioned very often. Dustin Johnson finally got the monkey off his back last season, yet it's clearly always ready to climb right back on again. Should be a great season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-05-2016)

Say goodbye to Tiger's name not getting mentioned very often. It's of course instructive, though, that this thread didn't get started until Tiger made his debut.

7. Likes:

Hoosier Red (12-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Say goodbye to Tiger's name not getting mentioned very often. It's of course instructive, though, that this thread didn't get started until Tiger made his debut.
    I watch with or without him, but his healthy return is huge news in the sports world.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I watch with or without him, but his healthy return is huge news in the sports world.
    Me, too, and completely agree. Especially if he doesn't suck, and it looks like he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Me, too, and completely agree. Especially if he doesn't suck, and it looks like he won't.
    Here's to him having better luck with his back than Duvall did.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Got my first eagle of 2017 yesterday ---- 100 yards out -- under a tree with lower hanging branches --- punched 6 iron --- clunked on the pin and dropped in --- you should have heard the others guys whining

I told them I was trying to get it close to the pin -- but this worked just fine....
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

12. Likes:

Chip R (01-03-2017),Hoosier Red (01-04-2017),Razor Shines (02-03-2017),Sea Ray (02-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Got my first eagle of 2017 yesterday ---- 100 yards out -- under a tree with lower hanging branches --- punched 6 iron --- clunked on the pin and dropped in --- you should have heard the others guys whining

I told them I was trying to get it close to the pin -- but this worked just fine....
    It's too cold out there.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's too cold out there.
    Never too cold to take quarters from your buddies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Tiger throws up a +5 in the first round of Dubai. I wonder if he will ever get it back. Maybe the physical problems are worse than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Tiger throws up a +5 in the first round of Dubai. I wonder if he will ever get it back. Maybe the physical problems are worse than we know.
    It's not pretty right now. I was somewhat encouraged after watching him play in December, but he looks somewhat defeated right now. He's not even close.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Tiger is done. In his prime he got by on being able to do things that other players couldn't and a mental game unparalleled to anything we had seen since Nicholas. His mental game is a disaster now, and he is no longer the strongest player in the game. I would imagine that the average striker of the ball on tour hits it as long as Tiger did in his early prime. I think strength and conditioning separated Tiger from the pack, but it ushered a new generation of player who has never known anything different, and are stronger than TW.

Tiger broke in playing the Titleist D driver, a great driver, probably one of the drivers that revolutionized the game. It was the same driver that I used in HS, and then shortly after HS. The thing that I have noticed, and I buy a new (used) driver every 5 years or so, is that with each newer model I get I add a little bit of distance. I do wonder if he wasn't playing with lesser technology with the Nike stuff.

And now Louisville St. X's Justin Thomas may be the best golfer in the world. Excellent!

Tiger pulls out of Dubai citing back spasms.

Turn Off Ads?