Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MLS 2017 Thread

Re: MLS 2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I agree that Sacto and, for that matter, St.Louis should be ahead of San Diego in the pecking order, with Cincy and Detroit -- so long as the Stadium is located in the suburbs -- right there, too.
    Sacramento has the advantage of no MLB and no NFL to compete against. Yet it wouldn't surprise me to see San Diego shoot to the top of the list very quickly. Look how far Cincinnati came in one year.

Why the suburbs for Detroit? I work with some folks in the incubator business and they tell me Detroit is eating everyone's lunch. The number of things that emerge out of Detroit in the next decade may make people's heads spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    St. Louis' chances took a big hit in the last month. I believe their stadium hopes rested on the city and state using the money they were planning on using for a new stadium for the Rams to build a soccer stadium. The new governor of Missouri has said he will not support use of public funds for a soccer stadium, so they will have to find private financing.
    Hopefully that becomes a trend. Public funds for stadium construction is a scam that needs to be stopped.
    Wait until the year after next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Sacramento has the advantage of no MLB and no NFL to compete against. Yet it wouldn't surprise me to see San Diego shoot to the top of the list very quickly. Look how far Cincinnati came in one year.

Why the suburbs for Detroit? I work with some folks in the incubator business and they tell me Detroit is eating everyone's lunch. The number of things that emerge out of Detroit in the next decade may make people's heads spin.

Hopefully that becomes a trend. Public funds for stadium construction is a scam that needs to be stopped.
    I don't know how many home dates a team like FCC would have. Suffice to say we are looking at about 20 dates through the season, as well as other events if a stadium is built. I think the 100% public funds for stadiums needs to stop, heck I think even a majorette of public funds for a stadium needs to stop, but I think you need some sort of public commitment in order to build new stadiums. Soccer stadiums don't have to be huge monstrosities that NFL stadiums need to be, and they have more dates that NFL stadiums. But I think what is important for a team like FCC is to build a stadium in a convenient, but populated area. What made Nippert a great venue wasn't only its size, but it was in Clifton, where there were several things to do prior and after the game. I recently went to a game played at Crew Stadium that my nephew played in and I further realized what a terrible location it was in. In college I lived within a couple of miles of Crew stadium, but there is nothing near by. There are no bars or restaurants, there isn't anything within walking distance to do before/after. I think that the community does need to commit to paying something towards a stadium, whether it be in construction costs or nearby developments.

Lets say FCC makes it into the MLS and has a close to downtown spot identified to build a stadium. What if the city/county decides that they are going to fund a streetcar route to the stadium as well as put a development in nearby. I think when the city and team work together it makes for a better union. Not getting an absolute screw job like the county got with Mike Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know how many home dates a team like FCC would have. Suffice to say we are looking at about 20 dates through the season, as well as other events if a stadium is built. I think the 100% public funds for stadiums needs to stop, heck I think even a majorette of public funds for a stadium needs to stop, but I think you need some sort of public commitment in order to build new stadiums. Soccer stadiums don't have to be huge monstrosities that NFL stadiums need to be, and they have more dates that NFL stadiums. But I think what is important for a team like FCC is to build a stadium in a convenient, but populated area. What made Nippert a great venue wasn't only its size, but it was in Clifton, where there were several things to do prior and after the game. I recently went to a game played at Crew Stadium that my nephew played in and I further realized what a terrible location it was in. In college I lived within a couple of miles of Crew stadium, but there is nothing near by. There are no bars or restaurants, there isn't anything within walking distance to do before/after. I think that the community does need to commit to paying something towards a stadium, whether it be in construction costs or nearby developments.

Lets say FCC makes it into the MLS and has a close to downtown spot identified to build a stadium. What if the city/county decides that they are going to fund a streetcar route to the stadium as well as put a development in nearby. I think when the city and team work together it makes for a better union. Not getting an absolute screw job like the county got with Mike Brown.
    I've actually been involved in the past with a soccer stadium deal that ultimately went nowhere. You're 100% right that location matters. The city I worked for spent a few years going back and forth with the Kraft Group and we got to see how they score these things. Being near a wide variety of bars, restaurants and other attractions is a major factor. As you noted, a lot of people want to do more than just go to a soccer game. The surrounding area acts as the curb appeal for the stadium.

When you're talking about a project in an area like that, there's always going to be local government involvement. Special permits and perhaps a redevelopment authority will be involved. New infrastructure will be required (in the case of the one I worked on a transit line expansion was a key element). There also might be related development around it, particularly if it's part of a larger revitalization plan. And brownfield cleanup, which is standard for almost every former industrial site, might necessitate some state funding.

Yet I can tell you that even when a governmental agency puts all of that on a platter, plus agreeing for the project to be built on lower rate public bonds, the owner still might stick out his hand and demand cash for the land or the stadium. That's why the New England Revolution still play in a football stadium not particularly close to anything. Bob Kraft continues to labor under the delusion that his soccer team is going to be the first sports franchise in MA that's going to get public money for the stadium construction. Now he's trying to engineer a deal on state-owned property in conjunction with UMass-Boston where the school's use of the facility helps defray his costs (and the land is free). My guess is they will overreach and it will be regarded as a giveaway, but perhaps they'll somehow thread that needle.

My main point is sports teams need to hear the word "no" on a much more frequent basis. The NFL runs an extortion racket. Others aren't quite as bad, but economists have been pretty clear that stadiums have the worst ROI out there when it comes to spending public money.
    Last edited by M2; 01-16-2017 at 07:53 PM.

5. Likes:

bucksfan2 (01-16-2017),Revering4Blue (01-16-2017),Simon Rhymon (01-16-2017)

deleted
    Last edited by Simon Rhymon; 01-16-2017 at 07:43 PM.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

Kraft is a folksy bully. Who really knows who is behind all the deals that he is involved in - him or his sons or his execs - who try and sometimes succeed in making. Wasn't there supposed to be a route 1 fly-over or some such thing, a biotech park, and now a commuter train stop at the stadium. The selectmen of Foxboro and surrounding towns have won some battles but they must be worn out from all the stuff that gets thrown at them ... small town solicitors, committees, and departments fighting with the big money backed slick lawyers. He did succeed in getting Patriot Place and a whole bevy of liquor licenses which has created a big boost in tax revenue, but also with some headaches for the police and other town officials.

I'm glad the governor of Missouri brought the St Louis deal down. The tax payer won that one. It doesn't always happen.
    Last edited by Simon Rhymon; 01-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-23-2017)

I need to vent. The Revs have done nothing for three months, literally nothing. They've been insisting they're going to make some "huge, huge moves" to address their utter lack of CBs. Today they announced they've spent some money to get an international CB. Hooray, right? Wrong. Reports are he's a guy who just got released from Numancia in the Spanish second division. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I need to vent. The Revs have done nothing for three months, literally nothing. They've been insisting they're going to make some "huge, huge moves" to address their utter lack of CBs. Today they announced they've spent some money to get an international CB. Hooray, right? Wrong. Reports are he's a guy who just got released from Numancia in the Spanish second division. Ugh.
    I feel your pain. The Revs should be a marquee team in the league, but Kraft rarely seems to give them much interest. How often does he go to games?

Meanwhile, seems like Columbus Crew SC is cornering the market on players from Ghana and Gahanna.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Columbus Crew SC has put the horrific "For Columbus" kits behind them and have brought back the "banana kit" as their primary look. Also, Acura is the new jersey sponsor. Overall, pretty sharp!

http://www.columbuscrewsc.com/post/2...primary-jersey
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (02-24-2017),Revering4Blue (02-24-2017)

I went to the Crew opener with my daughter today. It was definitely the story of two halves. The Crew played well in the first half with good spacing and midfield play. The second half was beyond awful. Defense looked like a junior high team trying to clear the zone. They were lucky to get a draw. A drunk chicago Fire fan was carried out in a stupor ten minutes before the game started. Weather was chilly but not awful like I expected.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

14. Likes:

Yachtzee (03-05-2017)

I have season tickets to the Crew for a new business I've started. Few rows off the field behind visiting team's bench. Today was the first Crew game I've ever gone to - had a great time. Choosing to be a fan of something as an adult is kind of odd, but the game day experience was great.

Felt like the Crew really dominated for much of the game. Weird to come out with a tie. Is Chicago good?
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-08-2017),Yachtzee (03-05-2017)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Opening day for Orlando's new stadium.

Name:  C6LGaMyXEAAGLvl.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  139.5 KB
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

18. Likes:

M2 (03-06-2017),reds1869 (03-05-2017),Revering4Blue (03-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I have season tickets to the Crew for a new business I've started. Few rows off the field behind visiting team's bench. Today was the first Crew game I've ever gone to - had a great time. Choosing to be a fan of something as an adult is kind of odd, but the game day experience was great.

Felt like the Crew really dominated for much of the game. Weird to come out with a tie. Is Chicago good?
    Goes hand-in-hand with micro-brews. Nothing like closing a deal during a pumped up home soccer game after a couple of beers. Win-win.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Portland welcomed Minnesota to the league with a 5-1 crushing defeat. Maybe Portland can avoid another horrificly slow start this season with the addition of a second scorer to Adi.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post

Chicago hasn't been good for a few years, but in MLS things can change pretty quickly. Colorado was awful for like 6 years and was one of the best teams in the league last year. Portland won MLS cup 2 years ago and then missed the playoffs last year.

22. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Portland won MLS cup 2 years ago and then missed the playoffs last year.
    And won the Division two years before that followed by a playoff-less season. The roller-coaster ride is on the upside this season. Championship or bust.

Turn Off Ads?