Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MLS 2017 Thread

Re: MLS 2017 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It was a great game. The second goal was sick.

I do not know anything about soccer. Trying to learn though and it's been a fun season so far.
    Welcome aboard!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    Loving how cheap and accessible it is. My season tickets:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BROl-slh6j0/
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

4. Likes:

Yachtzee (03-31-2017)

I sit in the first row by the corner flag for Galaxy games. My tickets are $31 a game. It's insane.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (03-30-2017),Yachtzee (03-31-2017)

If I lived closer, I'd get season tickets for me and my son, but it's a 2 hour drive for us. I think maybe when my kids get older, I might get a multi game pack. Soccer is definitely one of those sports I enjoy more at the stadium.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Jeopardy had a category Wednesday Night "Name the Sport" with none of them being from the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB. They gave you the name of the team and you had to name the sport. 4 of the 5 were answered corrrectly except "Portland Timbers". All you heard was crickets.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Looks like St. Louis may well be out of the running for MLS expansion with the rejection of the public funding for an MLS Stadium. It was also announced that San Diego will put their stadium plan up for a public vote, so that should be interesting and may well push a decision on San Diego out later. Prior to today, St. Louis and San Diego were probably the front runners, but now it's not so certain.

Personally, I have never been too high on St. Louis or San Diego for that matter. Although St. Louis has a long and storied history in the annals of US Soccer, recent history hasn't been to kind and they haven't been too successful at the lower levels in attracting fans. Really both cities weren't even considered leading expansion candidates until the NFL teams moved. It seems like they were front runners solely based on Don Garber's hope that those cities would take the money earmarked to keep the NFL teams and put it toward an MLS venue. Unfortunately, that didn't work out for St. Louis.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I remember in the 70's the soccer Meccas being Boston and St. Louis and not much after that.

I think the people of St. Louis feel used by the NFL and are content to keep with their traditional Cardinals and Blues and leave it at that.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I remember in the 70's the soccer Meccas being Boston and St. Louis and not much after that.

I think the people of St. Louis feel used by the NFL and are content to keep with their traditional Cardinals and Blues and leave it at that.
    Boston was never a soccer mecca. Cycled through three different NASL teams and none last more than three years. NYC (with the Cosmos) and its surrounding region was the main hotbed on the east coast. DC area was pretty strong too, but Boston was a backwater.
    Wait until the year after next year.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Boston was never a soccer mecca. Cycled through three different NASL teams and none last more than three years. NYC (with the Cosmos) and its surrounding region was the main hotbed on the east coast. DC area was pretty strong too, but Boston was a backwater.
    I wasn't talking about "professional", but how the community embraced it on the amateur level. New England was far and away first with Boston being it's epicenter, St. Louis was second, and few know this, but Tacoma was third. New York can support anything financially, but to get a community behind a sport at the amateur level takes the support of Moms and Dads, something the Professional Clubs care very little about. Living in the New England area, you probably didn't realize how little people in the U.S. could have cared less about Soccer, especially in the 60's and early '70's.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-06-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Portland thinks they are a Soccer Town, but there's no reality to that. Most just see it as a good excuse to drink a few beers and feel like they're part of the anti-establishment (of traditional American sports). When the Timbers began around '73-'74, Portland was desperate for national prominence. Their success came so quickly (like the current Timbers) reaching the Soccer Bowl in '75, that the wave of enthusiasm swept through the community with regularly 30,000 in attendance. As soon as they started losing, people stopped showing up. Despite attending a major High School in the state loaded with great athletes (we had just finished 3rd in State in football, regularly finished top-10 in wrestling and track, had pitchers throwing no-hitters and two scorers in the top-10 in basketball, we couldn't find a teacher to coach our soccer team. We coached ourselves and finished second in state. It helped that we had the best hockey players at our school. By '81, interest in the Timbers was so small that they couldn't even afford a secretary while they were renting office space by the month. That's not a Soccer town.

The current Timbers were purchased by an East Coast spoiled brat who needed a toy to play with. The City Commissioners regularly participate in unscrupulous deals and agreed to run their competition, baseball, out of town. They then assured that it couldn't come back by converting the 30,000 seat downtown baseball and all-purpose stadium into a Soccer-only 20,000 seat stadium. Now that it was the only game in town in one of the most thriving downtown metropolitan areas in the U.S., it became a great place to "twice a month" go drink some beers (though the baseball games had 7 times as many games per month producing three-fold economically for the community). The quick success of these Timbers and lack of competition for the sports dollar, while occupying elite real estate economically, has created a second wave of soccer fans who attend games. But, this wave of beer-drinkers won't translate any more to amateur soccer as the last wave did. The only group doing that is the University of Portland by my house, as they have been producing world-class players since Clive Charles took over in 1986 and groomed Kasey Keller into a great goalie. Charles joined the Timbers in '78 and decided to make Portland his home after injuries derailed his career. He founded FC Portland the same year he took over at U of P.

Those who supported the Timbers then are mostly dead now, but today's Timber fans aren't half the sports enthusiasts that they were. As soon as the Timbers go through a stretch of 4 or 5 unsuccessful seasons, crickets will be heard in that tiny stadium because this is not a Soccer Town, in spite of it having no sports dollar competition and the most convenient venue economically in all of sports.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.

I wasn't talking about "professional", but how the community embraced it on the amateur level. New England was far and away first with Boston being it's epicenter, St. Louis was second, and few know this, but Tacoma was third. New York can support anything financially, but to get a community behind a sport at the amateur level takes the support of Moms and Dads, something the Professional Clubs care very little about. Living in the New England area, you probably didn't realize how little people in the U.S. could have cared less about Soccer, especially in the 60's and early '70's.
    I didn't live in Boston in those years, but NY/NJ/CT was churning out kids in the early 80s. Boston wasn't. If you look at U.S. Open Cup finals from the 60s-80s it's heavy with NYC area teams (and those were amateur outfits). Not one team from the Boston region in that mix. You've got to go back to Fall River, New Bedford and Pawtucket in the early 20th century for when there was a strong soccer culture in this region.

I can tell you from coaching youth soccer in greater Boston in this century, we don't have a lot of legacy infrastructure. We're playing catchup to the mid-Atlantic, and I'm talking about at the family level. Soccer around here is deep underground.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I didn't live in Boston in those years, but NY/NJ/CT was churning out kids in the early 80s. Boston wasn't. If you look at U.S. Open Cup finals from the 60s-80s it's heavy with NYC area teams (and those were amateur outfits). Not one team from the Boston region in that mix. You've got to go back to Fall River, New Bedford and Pawtucket in the early 20th century for when there was a strong soccer culture in this region.

I can tell you from coaching youth soccer in greater Boston in this century, we don't have a lot of legacy infrastructure. We're playing catchup to the mid-Atlantic, and I'm talking about at the family level. Soccer around here is deep underground.
    Thanks. Not a lot of areas have roots in the U.S. that go very deep. My brother coached in CT in the '80's. His son made All-New England squads.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Looks like St. Louis may well be out of the running for MLS expansion with the rejection of the public funding for an MLS Stadium. It was also announced that San Diego will put their stadium plan up for a public vote, so that should be interesting and may well push a decision on San Diego out later. Prior to today, St. Louis and San Diego were probably the front runners, but now it's not so certain.

Personally, I have never been too high on St. Louis or San Diego for that matter. Although St. Louis has a long and storied history in the annals of US Soccer, recent history hasn't been to kind and they haven't been too successful at the lower levels in attracting fans. Really both cities weren't even considered leading expansion candidates until the NFL teams moved. It seems like they were front runners solely based on Don Garber's hope that those cities would take the money earmarked to keep the NFL teams and put it toward an MLS venue. Unfortunately, that didn't work out for St. Louis.
    Fun fact:

Granted it was a different era -- one in which stadiums/arenas half full was considered a success, with luxury boxes/club seats a non issue -- but circa '75, both San Diego and St.Louis were represented with franchises in all five major sports, including, of course, the NASL. It's mind boggling today that both markets today sport only one and two Major league franchises today, as the corporate infrastructure and population bases suggest that both markets can certainly support more. Whether or not that involves future MLS franchises is another matter entirely, but, as Kingspoint pointed out in a recent post, the sentiment of refusing to allocate one future dime towards the NFL exists in both markets, and I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

My prediction -- and none of this will occur overnight:

MLS to Sacramento

NBA to St. Louis with no NFL around and the Scottrade Center already in place

Somehow, someway, San Diego finally gets around to building a soccer stadium, as well as finally replacing the old, antiquated Sports Arena, resulting in MLS and NBA teams, respectively
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1)Morning people
    2)Normal people

Thanks. Not a lot of areas have roots in the U.S. that go very deep. My brother coached in CT in the '80's. His son made All-New England squads.
    The current Galaxy coach Curt Onalfo was a CT prep player in the '80s and a feature player on the U.S. U-16s. The state had a pretty active soccer scene. When I covered local sports in CT in the early 90s, the soccer beat was considered one of the better gigs because there was a fair amount of future D1 college talent.

There are plenty of areas with a long "amateur" soccer history. New Jersey and PA in particular in the east, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago in the Midwest, LA and the Bay Area in the west. The thing is that much of it has been dominated by immigrant communities. In the East and Midwest, it's been primarily the Slavic, German and Greek communities that have built strong amateur clubs that have put clubs out there at all levels from u-6 to Over-50. Then there's also College Soccer and that oft forgotten variant that took hold in many parts of the US in the 80s and 90s, Indoor Soccer. For example, in the Cleveland-Akron-Canton area, there are a number of elite amateur soccer clubs that have been around for decades and have produced a number of professional players. The University of Akron and Cleveland State University have had successful programs dating back to the 1970s. And in the '80s and '90s, the Cleveland Force and the Cleveland Crunch actually turned profits, fielded teams that were a combination of European players and local talent, and often outdrew the Cleveland Cavaliers. Honestly, if you look at US markets that would support soccer back in 1996 when MLS started, Cleveland would have been an excellent candidate. In fact, they had a shot when the owner of the Force and the Crunch, Bart Wollstein, actually had been given an expansion franchise in the 2000s, with the idea that they would build a Soccer Specific Stadium. Unfortunately, in a precursor to St. Louis, the stadium issue went up for a vote to get public money for infrastructure improvements, and the ballot issue failed, so Wollstein passed on the expansion team and that franchise I believe became Chivas.

At this point, I don't think MLS should be putting as much weight on a candidate's "long history" of soccer and should be focusing more on their "recent history." As much as I would love for Cleveland to get a team in MLS, and history indicates that there might be support for such a team, right now there is just no history of Cleveland coming out in droves to support it's lower division entries and no indication of anyone willing to come forward and put together a good USL club. I'd say the same thing for St. Louis and San Diego. If ownership groups are serious about an MLS squad, they need to get on board with investing in a USL squad and showing their commitment to building a club and community support. Trying to force a team into a community without getting the support of the community behind it first is how they've gotten themselves into that whole Miami-David Beckham mess that doesn't look to resolve itself any time soon.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-07-2017)

Turn Off Ads?