Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Season (AFC North/South Champions)

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Season

They could do worse as far as retreads go.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Are you happy with Mike Smith?
    I would say "Solid Hire but not exciting"
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    "...but not exciting"
    With a name like Mike Smith, how is that even possible?!?

5. Likes:

BillDoran (01-17-2017)

Marrone it is.

Any super-strong argument that interim coach Doug Marrone could make was wiped out by the collapse of the Jags in the game..

Adam Schefter
    ‏@AdamSchefter
    Jacksonville planning to hire Doug Marrone as HC, league sources tell ESPN.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Zig Fracassi ‏@ZigFracassi 31m31 minutes ago
    Mark Dominik: No other coaching interviews for the #Jaguars. They've honed in on their guy, w/a defensive background.

So, Zig Fracassi is a Siruis XM broadcaster. And Mark Dominik is with Sirius and is former GM of Buccaneers.

The interesting part of this tweet if true is that the Jags only interviewed ONE defensive guy. Former Atl HC Mike Smith (former Jags DC).

If this happens, people will be very interested to see who OC would be. Mike McCoy would make people pretty happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Marrone it is.
    Marrone is not a defensive guy. So much for Mark Dominik's career as an NFL insider...

My guess is this is an underwhelming choice for Jax fans who wanted change. I gotta say, the Jax situation reminds me so much of the Bengals in the 90s. It was yrs and yrs of just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Marrone is not a defensive guy. So much for Mark Dominik's career as an NFL insider...
    If a tree falls in a forest...

Well, to me Marrone is a lot like Smith. Good, competent hire, but not exciting. In fact, since he was here all along, and the fans wanted a clean sweep, this is a fairly unpopular choice with the unwashed. Will be interesting to see how much of the staff changes.

There was at least (in hindsight) one indication that he was getting serious consideration. The coach interviews were 4 hours. But the interview with Marrone was said to have started early in the morning and went till late at night.

And there were tweets from respected sportswriter that said a well respected NFL coach had called the Jags out the blue and said Marrone was who they should hire. Our local sports radio guy just said I can tell you now that call was made, and it came from Bill Belichek".

What gets people around here, is they could have made this move at mid-season.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Tom Coughlin just hired as VP of Football Operations! GM Dave Caldwell extended.

Well, to me Marrone is a lot like Smith. Good, competent hire, but not exciting. In fact, since he was here all along, and the fans wanted a clean sweep, this is a fairly unpopular choice with the unwashed. Will be interesting to see how much of the staff changes.

There was at least (in hindsight) one indication that he was getting serious consideration. The coach interviews were 4 hours. But the interview with Marrone was said to have started early in the morning and went till late at night.

And there were tweets from respected sportswriter that said a well respected NFL coach had called the Jags out the blue and said Marrone was who they should hire. Our local sports radio guy just said I can tell you now that call was made, and it came from Bill Belichek".

What gets people around here, is they could have made this move at mid-season.
    He got the Bills - yes the BILLS - to 9-7 before bolting. And while I'd usually put someone's feet to the fire for quitting on a team like that...my spidey sense tells me there was more to the story there.

Good hire by the Jags.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-09-2017)

Coughlin being on board is good enough to ignore the unexciting retread hire.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He got the Bills - yes the BILLS - to 9-7 before bolting. And while I'd usually put someone's feet to the fire for quitting on a team like that...my spidey sense tells me there was more to the story there.

Good hire by the Jags.
    The Pegula/Whaley regime certainly hasn't inspired much confidence with the Rex Ryan experiment, it is entirely possible he had a bad feeling about the new ownership set-up.

I dunno, I think Marrone gets too much flack for simply doing what his contract gave him the option to do. It's not like he quit midseason like Petrino.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-09-2017)

I've seen a few places that almost all the assistants will be back, what happened to the overhaul? do they really think Bradley was the only problem?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I've seen a few places that almost all the assistants will be back, what happened to the overhaul? do they really think Bradley was the only problem?
    I certainly think it indicates a belief that they were very close. They lost a lot of games by less than 7/8 points.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I certainly think it indicates a belief that they were very close. They lost a lot of games by less than 7/8 points.
    Yep. In the NFL, the line between playoff-worthy and pretty sucky can be a thin one, and it sometimes leads directly to the quarterback position. They still need a few other things but they're not getting anywhere until Bortles plays better or they find someone better.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?