Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Season (AFC North/South Champions)

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Season

I agree with Jax. Winning the off season means nothing. Jacksonville has to win on the field and that's not asking much in their division. It'll all come down to Bortles. If he doesn't step up then the losing will continue

2. Turn Off Ads?

SeaRay. Jacksonville has a much better team than the Bengals...a better franchise, better Owner, better GM, better Coach and much better draft picks the last three years.

They did perform on the field last year as their Defense was very respectable. It's now elite. Their Offense suffered because their QB had an attitude, but as their off-season and recent drafting dictates, they aren't going to pin their success on one person. They can win even if their QB is subpar now.

The Bengals' offseason is over before it began as they claim they have no money even though the truth is that they have over $23M and more if they cut the deadwood. They've done enough to sell season tickets and that's all that matters, as winning a SuperBowl is never the goal there, while in Jacksonville it's the only goal.

On-field success is inevitable for this franchise.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-10-2017 at 11:56 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with Jax. Winning the off season means nothing. Jacksonville has to win on the field and that's not asking much in their division. It'll all come down to Bortles. If he doesn't step up then the losing will continue
    I'm not saying that winning the off-season means nothing. I'm very excited about what Jags are doing the last 2 years or so. They have underachieved. But what that means is a team that should have been 8-8 or 9-7 is getting the picks of a team that finished 3-13.

At some point I think this team explodes. I'm hoping it's this year.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    SeaRay. Jacksonville has a much better team than the Bengals...a better franchise, better Owner, better GM, better Coach and much better draft picks the last three years.

They did perform on the field last year as their Defense was very respectable. It's now elite. Their Offense suffered because their QB had an attitude, but as their off-season and recent drafting dictates, they aren't going to pin their success on one person. They can win even if their QB is subpar now.

The Bengals' offseason is over before it began as they claim they have no money even though the truth is that they have over $23M and more if they cut the deadwood. They've done enough to sell season tickets and that's all that matters, as winning a SuperBowl is never the goal there, while in Jacksonville it's the only goal.

On-field success is inevitable for this franchise.
    How can you say that they performed on the field last year when they went 3-13? That's about as bad as it gets in the NFL. Even Mike Brown cleans house after 3-13 seasons. It's easy to "win the offseason" coming off a 3-13 season. 3-13 teams don't have star OL men that garner multimillion dollar contracts. Those teams have lots of cap space and can offer guaranteed starting jobs to FAs. They also draft at the top of every rd. I know this 'cause I lived it. I remember when I thought the Bengals had a top notch defense with James Francis, Alfred Williams, Darryl Williams, and Dan Wilkinson. It never materialized. That's great to sign FAs like Jax has but you won't know anything until they play real games next Fall. I oughta know.

JaxRed, with the Jags' signing of Earl Watford, you now have two o-linemen who played at my alma mater, James Madison. Josh Wells is the other. You can go ahead and order your Super Bowl tickets.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    JaxRed, with the Jags' signing of Earl Watford, you now have two o-linemen who played at my alma mater, James Madison. Josh Wells is the other. You can go ahead and order your Super Bowl tickets.
    Was that the year James Madison won the National Title?
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

I'm kind of getting NFL Draft Fever even though it's 6 weeks away. For the Jags, almost everyone thinks it's coming down to 2 positions. DL and RB. The Jags just spent a bunch of money on a cornerback to go with Jalen Ramsey. They are not going there. 4 is awfully high for a safety and we have signed Tashaun Gibson and Barry Church in last 2 years at safety. They are not going there.

All indications are they are rolling the dice with Bortles one more time at QB. (The optimism around Bortles centers around his significantly better performance the last 2 games under Marrone, coupled with his spending practically the whole off-season working on his mechanics in California). Barring a major surprise they are not going QB.

We drafted Myles Jack last year and the team has repeatedly said he will get much more playing time this year. Almost everything thinks he goes to middle linebacker and Pozluzny goes to strong side linebacker. (Telvin Smith is the weak side). THat's a pretty strong group. Not going there.

If there was a consensus Top 5-7 offensive lineman, that might be in play, but most feel it is weak OL class and the top guys belong about 15-20. So unless we trade down, probably not an OL.

Jags are pretty happy with the wide receiver corps. Not going there.

That leaves DL and RB. We signed Calais Campbell, but we let go of Roy Miller, SenDerrick Marks and Tyson Alualu. So we have needs on the DL. Everyone assumes Myles Garrett will be long gone. So the most common names associated with Jags are Solomon Thomas if he is still there and maybe Jonathan Allen if he's not.

And then RB - At first everyone was torn between Dalvin Cook of FSU and Leonard Fournette of LSU. But people seem to think Dalvin is slipping. Fournette has the chance to be a HUGE impact guy and a chance to be a guy too big to play the position at the top level.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Was that the year James Madison won the National Title?
    Nope, they were both born too late for the first one ('04) and too soon for the second one ('16).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

So the Jags have now completed their draft. While last year I was over the top, this year I'm a little more reserved. Some observations and notes from interviews the Jags gave afterwords.

The Jags traded Julian Thomas who they were unhappy with to Miami, for Brandon Albert who was going to be released because of $$ and being replaced by Tunsil. Albert wants more money, and has skipped voluntary workouts and Jags have had no contact with either him or his agent. They said in draft conference call that they are not renegotiating Albert's contract. Period.

Jags picked 4th and had their top 4 guys who were apparently: Garrett, Solomon Thomas, Fournette, and Jamal Adams in that order.
    They stated they intended to address RB, OL, and DL in the first three rounds. How that would jibe with taking Adams if he was only one there is unclear.

Fournette will probably be a binary pick. Either a dominant force or just a guy.

In the second they had their choice of Forrest Lamp or Cam Robinson. They moved up a spot to get Robinson. At first I thought Lamp made more sense but afterwards you could tell Jags are sending a message to Albert. Robinson gives them leverage.

Most people thought they would come back to OL but they never did, and apparently their message that they felt pretty good about the OL must be true.

If they were determined to address DL at 3, that explains their pick of Smoot which surprised all here in Jax. Could be a reach/bust but they hit on a DL last year at 3 with Ingokwe. And starting the year, McShay had him mocked as #4 prospect.

With the 4th pick, the Jags took a chance on a kid with domestic violence issues. THey said they did their due diligence and he will be on a very short list. But his talent was too high to pass up. This is Biletnikoff winner and 4th place finisher in Heisman voting, DeDe Westbrooke.

Fifth rounder was Blair Brown from Ohio University, Linebacker.

So, all in all, this is kind of a wait and see draft for me.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-30-2017 at 12:55 AM.

Did Cam Robinson having 2 arthritic shoulders bother the Jags? It sure would have bothered me. I don't see how a guy plays through such in the NFL. That's not how you spend a top 2nd rd pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Did Cam Robinson having 2 arthritic shoulders bother the Jags? It sure would have bothered me. I don't see how a guy plays through such in the NFL. That's not how you spend a top 2nd rd pick.
    Jonathan Allen was the guy with the arthritic shoulders. Only non-playing blemish on Cam was an off the field incident a while back with gun and grass. No charges.

"So Fla Red"

AFC South should finally be much improved this year and could be really nasty in 2018+. The Jags missed out on the window when it was the NFLs weakest division. With disclaimer to AFC East which has been a one-man show for about 15 years.

It's really upto Bortles to be average or better. Then the Jags will finally take off with all the top-5 draft talent and FA acquisitions.

If you're a Jaguars fan, this is the only thing that mattered all off-season, including tge draft and free-agency.

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Blake Bortles will work with QB guru Tom House this summer.

Bortles also spent time with House early this spring. He'll continue to work on his throwing motion and a quicker release, which played a big role in Bortles' 2016 struggles. Jaguars EVP Tom Coughlin and coach Doug Marrone both believe Bortles has improved his mechanics.

Source: floridafootballinsiders.com
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

OK, I'm finally ready to go all-in on the Jags. I've lived here for 7 years and after the drafting of Mixon, I got rid of all my Bengals gear and have formally filed for divorce from the franchise. I'll be picking up a couple of token Jags apparel items and going to try to make them my new team. If it doesn't take, I think I'm likely done with the NFL, but I'm hoping I can get and stay behind the Jags.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

[QUOTE=Kingspoint;3655489]If you're a Jaguars fan, this is the only thing that mattered all off

This year will likely be Blakes last chance. The defense is going to be good at worst and a top 5 unit is very likely and Blake has weapons and will have an improved OL. I find myself saying this every year but I really think they can win the division.

Turn Off Ads?