Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Season (AFC North/South Champions)

Re: Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Season

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    OK, I'm finally ready to go all-in on the Jags. I've lived here for 7 years and after the drafting of Mixon, I got rid of all my Bengals gear and have formally filed for divorce from the franchise. I'll be picking up a couple of token Jags apparel items and going to try to make them my new team. If it doesn't take, I think I'm likely done with the NFL, but I'm hoping I can get and stay behind the Jags.
    Good luck with that. Seriously. I hope it works. I tried it once. I ended up first gambling on games weekly to get interested in the NFL. Then, I added Fantasy Football. I don't gamble anymore, but find enough interest through Fantasy Football that I can continue to enjoy the NFL regardless of what Mike Brown does. I'll outlive Brown and then watch how the rest of the family handles things without him. I cut the bond with the Bengals at my generation, as I wouldn't let my Boys (born in '86 & '89) be Bengals' fans (diehard Raiders fans,...and yes, it's much better than being a Bengals fan). Zero reason for them to suffer for 20+ years through their youth and young adults with a franchise that values money and screwing their fans and community over winning.

Kahn is a great Owner to root for. I like Calder asa G.M. (The Bengals not having a G.M. in 2017 is still insane. That a Head Coach who is 0-7 in the playoffs remains employed in the same position as almost as insane.)
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    This year will likely be Blakes last chance. The defense is going to be good at worst and a top 5 unit is very likely and Blake has weapons and will have an improved OL. I find myself saying this every year but I really think they can win the division.
    Blake only has to show a sincere willingness to improve and a professionalism on and off the field. I say, "only", because it's not much to ask, as it's the bare minimum to expect from any employee in any business, whether it's flipping burgers or doing lawn care. But for Bortles, who's displayed the maturity of an immature 15-year old since he's entered the league, it's asking a lot, as it needs to be maintained for eight more months. Even then, I would franchise-tag him and make him prove his maturity through two off-seasons and two camps/regular seasons before working out a second long-term contract.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-15-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said he was "concerned" about Blake Bortles following a poor performance at Saturday's practice.

Bortles was intercepted five times at Saturday's full-pad session including twice by Tyler Patmon, who hasn't played an NFL game since 2015. "I think any time someone doesn't perform to what you want to do, you're concerned about it," said Marrone. "We're going to look at it." Marrone has hinted at hiding Bortles this year behind a run-first attack featuring first-round rookie Leonard Fournette. The Jags reluctantly picked up Bortles' fifth-year option for 2018, though it won't be guaranteed until the first day of the new league year. This could be a make-or-break year for the former third overall pick.

Source: ESPN.com

Jaguars LT Branden Albert announced his retirement after nine seasons in the NFL.

Even though he skipped voluntary portions of the offseason program due to a contract dispute after the Jaguars acquired him from the Dolphins via trade, this decision comes as a surprise. A 2008 first-round pick by the Chiefs, Albert played 16 games just once in nine years, but he was a quality blindside protector when on the field, earning Pro Bowl nods in 2013 and 2015. With Albert hanging up his cleats, the Jags' left tackle job is now second-rounder Cam Robinson's to lose.

Source: jaguars.com

ESPN Jaguars reporter Mike DiRocco reports the team is "unlikely" to allow LT Branden Albert to return to the organization.

Albert has walked out on the team more than once since he was acquired from the Dolphins back in March. First, he refused to show up to OTAs or minicamp before reporting for the first day of training camp only to "retire" three days into it after he was getting his butt kicked by the Jaguars' younger linemen. Now that it's been revealed he may have to pay back $3.4 million to the team as part of his signing bonus, Albert wants back in. That sure blew up in Albert's face.

Source: ESPN.com

Jaguars DE Dante Fowler is struggling with discipline during camp.

Fowler had to run a lap after slapping the ball out of Chad Henne's hand and was sent to the sideline during a joint practice after committing a bad face-mask penalty and getting into it with the Patriots. "It goes back to discipline and I talked to Dante about it," coach Doug Marrone said. "Anything that anyone does to hurt the team – they have to understand it’s not about the individual, it’s about the team." Fowler hurt the team plenty last season, racking up eight penalties including three offsides and two unnecessary roughness violations. He also has had more than his fair share of issues off the field, twice being arrested and racking up 10 traffic tickets since December of 2015. Earlier this offseason, DC Todd Wash said Fowler had "matured a lot."

Source: Florida Times Union

Well the Jags have had their first preseason game, a 31-24 win over the Patriots in New England. Brady and few others didn't play. There were some players that were going to be watched. Let's start with Blake Bortles who has been up and down in the training camp, with the 5 pick day the obviously low. He didn't do anything bad, he just didn't do anything. Was 3/5 for 16 yards in first quarter of play. 3 points.

The back-ups (Chad Henne and Brandon Allen) looked pretty darn good. Henne: 5/6 139 yards 1 TD 158 Rating. Allen: 5/7 85 Yards 1 TD 151 Rating.

Jags had some explosive plays. Corey Grant RB-Auburn is a speedster who finally got some carries in the last game of 2016 running for 122 yards. I this game he exploded on a 79 yard TD run and 120 overall. An undrafted FA receiver from Kentucky Wesleyan, Keelan Cole has been standing out all training camp caught a 97 yard TD strike from Allen.

After all the Brandon Albert drama which has resulted in his being released, LT nows belongs to 2nd round pick Cam Robinson. He looked very good in his first action. The line appears to be settling in as Robinson/Omameh/Lindner/Cann/Parnell. They looked pretty good.

Everyone seemed pretty impressed with Fournette but he didn't do much. 9 carries for 31 yards.

Myles Jack was playing his first game at middle linebacker, and the reviews seem to be mixed on his work.

Overall I like what I saw, and hope to see more from Blake this THursday.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Their Secondary will be formidable with the three main additions. Myles Jack could take off quickly. Cole looked good in all his plays. Heck of a throw by Allen on the 97-yd bomb. They picked up a 4th RB off waivers Friday. Robinson was fine for his debut as Omemah looks to grab his vacated LG spot. They are definitely going to be running more this season as their Defense will keep the score down.

The running back they picked up would be at least #5. Pecking order would seem to be Fournette, Ivory, Grant, Yeldon. There's some talk that in a roster crunch that Yeldon might be cut/dealt.

The other spot where their might be a surprise cut/move is WR. Heading into 2014 draft, the Jags had a very bad receiving corps and had recently been burned on a 1 pick by Justin Blackmon. That year they drafted Allen Robinson and Marquise Lee in Round 2, and picked up Allen Hurns in College Free Agency. In 2015 they picked up Rashad Greene. In 2017 draft they got DeDe Westbrook from Oklahoma. Arrelious Benn is supposedly a lock because of his special teams play. Greene stumbled a bit in 2016. But he's a dangerous punt returner as his 41 yard return against NE showed.

Tight End cuts are going to be interesting also.

Edit: In practice today Marquise Lee was carted off the field with non-contact leg injury, so the overage at WR might be a thing of the past.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-13-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Well, this should open an opportunity for Cole.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Marqise Lee avoided a serious injury during Sunday's practice.

Lee was carted off with his right leg in an air-cast after suffering a non-contact injury in 7-on-7 drills. It is great news he avoided a serious issue, but it is possible he still misses time. In more good news for the passing game, Allen Hurns was back on the practice field Sunday after sitting out the preseason opener.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Well Jags played their second pre-season game last night, losing a 12-8 battle to Tampa Bay. It was not a good game for the Jags. It was 12-0 at halftime but felt worse. Defense couldn't stop TB and the offense did nothing.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Bortles may no longer be the Jags starting QB. Head Coach Doug Marrone said as much after the game. Not only did they not score again while he was in (much of the half), but he looked shaky, missing open receivers a couple times. When relieved by Henne (while starters for both sides were still in), the offense picked up and Henne looked confident and threw the ball well. (And this comes from a guy who could not wait to get Henne out of lineup a couple years ago.). Henne twice hit receivers in stride in the end zone only to have them drop the ball.

Marrone talked several times about opening up the QB situation to BOTH guys. Which is unfortunate, because the third string QB, Brandon Allen, came in at the start of the 4th quarter and looked fantastic. He ended up 10-15 for 144 yards and a TD and rating of 120. I was incredibly impressed with the way he moved around in pocket, ran (quickly) at just the right times, and displayed a strong, quick accurate arm. Of his 5 incompletions, I believe 3 were drops, including a TD fade throw that the receiver lost when he hit the ground.

Fournette sat out with a toe issue and Ivory/Yeldon showed nothing.

And our very shaky kicker missed both his kicks. An extra point and a field goal.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 08-18-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Tampa Bay starters played pretty well against the Bengals too. As for Bortles, as a Jags fan, where do you stand? I don't think Henne's the answer. I don't think it makes much sense to go with him. As an outsider my guess is that if you really want to look at alternatives, try the 3rd string guy and see if maybe you have a Jeff Blake on your hands. It's stories like this that reminds me that the Bengals ought not cut Jeff Driskel. The dearth of talent at that position makes it likely that a team like the Jags will snatch him up. I'm sure they're well aware of him since he played college ball at Florida.

I would absolutely given Allen a shot with the 1's this next week. This is the week regulars usually play 3/4. I would split that time between he and Henne. I really like Blake personally and was rooting for him. But enough is enough.

I could not have been more impressed with the way Allen played yesterday. And the Henne we saw looked a lot better then the Henne we've seen in the past.

I was as wrong about Bortles in that draft as I was about Carr. I was certain Bortles would be a franchise QB, while Carr's ceiling, which I didn't think he'd reach, would be as a dink-and-dunk passer. It just goes to show you how important the interview and psychology part of the draft is. Internal motivation is integral for success in the NFL, which is why I can't understand why Gase would bring in that leaderless and unmotivated Quarterback by the name of Jay Cutler to head the Dolphins' Offense.

The first thing I would do is cut Chris Ivory. He's lazy and cares nothing about his teammates. He's clearly only there to cash a check. He got Henne creamed...could have easily ended his season, off a missed blitz pickup that had no excuse other than laziness, ill-preparedness, and a lack of support for one's teammates. Shame on Koetter for even letting this guy on the field. Two plays earlier, he got his starting TE crushed by three defenders when he was in position to block out the first one so the TE could drive through and past the other two. Instead, Ivory pulled up and stood and watched as three defenders creamed the starting TE. You can't have that from anyone on the team. Those are plays that should get anyone cut.

Give me Corey Grant and Fournette all day. Yeldon can pick up some carries that are left. If they keep Ivory on the team, then we know what the real problem is in Jacksonville....Dick Koetter doesn't know what kind of attitude it takes for football players to achieve success....a willingness to sacrifice for each other (where the Bengals are going to miss Whitworth's leadership more than his elite LT ability).

They can keep $18M in 2018 and use it somewhere else by cutting Bortles now. That only makes sense if they cut Ivory, too. You can't cut one prominent bad attitude while leaving another prominent bad attitude. You can't bench Ivory or he'll be a cancer on the team, which I'm 100% convinced that he already is. The team takes on the attitude of it's highest profile players, and that's Bortles and Ivory. Cut them both and create a new atmosphere. Don't leave Ivory around to sabotage Henne's leadership. It won't work. If Koetter and Tom Coughlin can't see this, they're out of touch.

Turn Off Ads?