Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4445051525354

Thread: Straily traded to Miami for prospects: RHP Castillo, RHP Brice, OF White

Re: Straily traded to Miami for prospects: RHP Castillo, RHP Brice, OF White

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Since you don't quote anyone, I have no idea to what post you're referring. I'm not aware of anyone saying that someone posted "Straily wouldn't have helped the Reds this year". So until we establish that, there's no reason to go there.

My point is that Straily would have helped us this year thus it was a trade where we gave up something of value to get Castillo. It wasn't highway robbery. This is in contrast to say the E. Suarez deal for Alfredo Simon.
    I was just asking old chap. That's why I said "if."

Mth isn't a fan of Straily as you can see.
    "If you're into those sorts of things...Some would say using others' posts as signatures is weird." - Sea Ray

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think you overstate it a bit when you say that "a staff with Straily as anything more than the 5th starter is a terrible staff."

I'd put it this way: Straily could pitch in any starting rotation in MLB.
    He wouldn't start for the Indians, Nationals or Dodgers. It's questionable if he'd start for the Cubs. The D-backs have 5 better guys. The Rockies have 6. He'd probably be a swing man in Houston. The Twins might take him over Colon. He doesn't sniff a start for the Yankees or Red Sox. Some other teams might let him eat some innings, but modeling the rotation after teams that finish 3rd or 4th is a mistake.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was just asking old chap. That's why I said "if."

Mth isn't a fan of Straily as you can see.
    I don't dislike Straily. He'd be a useful guy as insurance and in a role like Lorenzen had this season. Some teams with lesser rotations could use him in the back of the rotation as the Marlins are doing. A team knee deep in kids should leave those back end roles for the kids to cut their teeth or even rotate through. The other spots need more quality.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Stephenson is getting 2 more starts which will get him to about 86 IP for the Reds plus 40 at AAA. But it was 40 really good AAA innings, the best he's had. Assuming the corner he's turned is legit I don't know that the Reds throw him more than 170 next year. Romano is in the same boat, about the same number of innings. He'll end up with about 90 IP with another 50 at AAA. I think he'll top out around 175 next year. Castillo should top 190 innings in 2018.

It's a young rotation including Castillo. Homer will probably be right at 110 combined innings this year, but he looks better with every start. I can see the Reds being cautious with him early next year, but easing restrictions on him as each moth ticks by.

And I think the Reds will sign a FA pitcher, maybe more than one. And then there is the issue of Finnegan, Desclafani, Reed and Garrett.

I get weirdly optimistic at the end of each season.

2017 may not have gone the way we would have liked it to, but it sure wasn't boring.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

Agreed, TRF. There is some reason for optimism. Sal, Castillo, and Stephenson seem like they are growing pitchers. Like the upside there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Redus View Post
    Agreed, TRF. There is some reason for optimism. Sal, Castillo, and Stephenson seem like they are growing pitchers. Like the upside there.
    Not holding my breath, but I'd love to see one of the lefties (Garrett/Reed) join them. They seem optimistic that they can fix Amir's control issues (but what else they gonna say?). Reed, not real hopeful at this point, but this point is pretty much where I was with BobSteve last year so...

I personally love what Reed can bring to the bullpen. I still think the Reds will get 110-120 IP from Finnegan after he makes his 2018 debut, probably around June 1. That makes the NEED for Reed in the rotation less.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I personally love what Reed can bring to the bullpen. I still think the Reds will get 110-120 IP from Finnegan after he makes his 2018 debut, probably around June 1. That makes the NEED for Reed in the rotation less.
    Why are you assuming Finnegan is going to miss nearly 1/2 of another year?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Why are you assuming Finnegan is going to miss nearly 1/2 of another year?
    Two major shoulder injuries, one to each arm. The injury to the non-throwing arm happened mid season.

Not half, 1/3. Mostly that's just the Reds history with pitchers returning in the macro the last few seasons. Iglesias and Lorenzen last year, Homer this year. Finnegan returned in late May I believe for what... 1 start?

Count on June. If its sooner, yay, but plan for June.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Two major shoulder injuries, one to each arm. The injury to the non-throwing arm happened mid season.

Not half, 1/3. Mostly that's just the Reds history with pitchers returning in the macro the last few seasons. Iglesias and Lorenzen last year, Homer this year. Finnegan returned in late May I believe for what... 1 start?

Count on June. If its sooner, yay, but plan for June.
    He'll be 8 months removed from surgery on the non-throwing shoulder in March 2018, you really think he'll automatically be wiped out until June? I mean it's entirely possible he has a setback, but there's every reason to believe at the moment that he'll be ready for Opening Day. Robert Gsellman of the Mets had surgery on the torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder in October 2016 and he was fine for spring training in March.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

12. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He'll be 8 months removed from surgery on the non-throwing shoulder in March 2018, you really think he'll automatically be wiped out until June? I mean it's entirely possible he has a setback, but there's every reason to believe at the moment that he'll be ready for Opening Day. Robert Gsellman of the Mets had surgery on the torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder in October 2016 and he was fine for spring training in March.
    Well, he stunk on ice all year, so I wouldn't say he was fine.

I think shoulders take longer. Longer to heal and MUCH longer to rebuild strength. I think the Reds are best served by making sure Finnegan is ready. And who was the last Reds pitcher to NOT have an injury setback?

14. Likes:

REDREAD (09-19-2017)

Reds Rookie Luis Castillo might be the game's next great changeup artist.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/11/10/...tiful-changeup

16. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-13-2017),RED VAN HOT (11-11-2017),RedlegJake (11-11-2017)

Turn Off Ads?