Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Straily traded to Miami for prospects: RHP Castillo, RHP Brice, OF White

Re: Marlins to Acquire Dan Straily

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    So the Reds are trading for some more magic beans. And the circle will go unbroken.
    Not so sure that Straily was anything more than a slightly smaller pile of magic beans himself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Straily "Close" to Being Traded to Miami

I really like this trade, Straily seems more then likely to come back down to earth this year. He's probably a decent backend starter but not as good a pitcher as he looked last year. Castillo seems to have a very high ceiling and if the reds can make some adjustments to Brice he may have a shot at being at least a middle of the rotation starter. Worst case they both would be power arms out of the bullpen. Pretty good get for a guy that we picked up for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wasnt Straily a magic bean?
    Ah but he was a magic bean that actually bared some fruit. Can't have that in Redsland. He may cost a little money now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Castillo apparently added a changeup last season that he started getting more and more comfortable with as the year went on. Don't know if it's related, but his k/bb subsequently went from 2.85 in 2015 to 4.12 last season.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Ah but he was a magic bean that actually bared some fruit. Can't have that in Redsland. He may cost a little money now.
    He wasn't eligible for arbitration. Whatever this trade was, it wasn't about money.

Castillo was part of the strange Padres-Marlins trade in which the Padres were caught cooking the books on the health of their players. Castillo was sent to the Padres at first, But sent back when one of players Marlins got (Colin Rea) was learned to be hurt.
    The team Matheny described several times this weekend as the team he thinks the Cardinals could be, is actually the team the Reds have become.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (01-19-2017)

Back from the dead..maybe Homer's Ghost's Avatar

Or he's likely nowhere near as good as his ERA last year was.

The reds payroll was consistently 110-115 million when the reds were contending. Am I supposed to believe BCast decided to randomly be cheap one day randomly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

10. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (01-19-2017)

Baseball America's JJ Cooper:

@jjcoop36

Benefits of rebuilding. Straily was free talent a year ago. Good year. Now swapped for one of best P prospects in very thin Marlins system.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Castillo is the #2 prospect for the Marlins. According to Baseball America he hit 101 last year
    Regardless of anything else, hard to argue with getting any organizations #2 prospect + two other guys for league leader in home runs Dan Straily. He was a big help in stabilizing a scary Reds rotation, but you have to do this deal.

13. Likes:

bagz (01-19-2017),Blimpie (01-19-2017),BRM13 (01-19-2017),Caveman Techie (01-19-2017),dfs (01-19-2017),dubc47834 (01-19-2017),Freak25 (01-22-2017),Gallen5862 (01-19-2017),malcontent (01-19-2017),OhioRiverBarge (01-19-2017),Red Raindog (01-19-2017),RedsBrick (01-19-2017),Roy Tucker (01-19-2017)

So the Reds are trading for some more magic beans. And the circle will go unbroken.
    Straily was magic beans as well. If he was worth actual, proven talent, then he would have been more valuable if the Reds kept him.

The thing that has nagged me about Dan Straily is that I watched a video on YouTube of 2016 Reds highlights, and it showed Billy Hamilton making all these circus catches where he had to run full speed over half the outfield. Did anyone else notice that Straily was the pitcher who always seemed to benefit the most from Hamilton's heroics? Straily provided a desperately needed shot in the arm to the Reds rotation in 2016. But he needed a LOT of help from his defense.

I think I am for this trade.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

15. Likes:

herbdizzle (01-19-2017),indy_dave00 (01-19-2017),REDREAD (01-19-2017)

Zach Buchanan

@ZachENQ

Can confirm @JeffPassan report that Dan Straily to Miami deal is being worked on. Still some final details to work out.

Once again, local writers get scooped by the national writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Zach Buchanan

@ZachENQ

Can confirm @JeffPassan report that Dan Straily to Miami deal is being worked on. Still some final details to work out.
    "Final details" = Stanton. Confirmed

19. Likes:

Marc D (01-19-2017),Raisor (01-19-2017),TRF (01-19-2017)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    "Final details" = Stanton. Confirmed
    Add Cozart for Yelich and I do this deal.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Once again, local writers get scooped by the national writers.
    Eh, Sheldon's not due into the office until 9:00 am.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

Turn Off Ads?