Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Straily traded to Miami for prospects: RHP Castillo, RHP Brice, OF White

Re: Straily "Close" to Being Traded to Miami

Very, very nice deal. I liked Straily, but it's unlikely his value is ever higher than now.

This just fortifies the wave of young pitching that's coming, making it ever more certain there's a real payoff in the not too distant future.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Eric Longenhagen from Fangraphs

@longenhagen

Luis Castillo sustainable upper-90s velo, inconsistent, slurvy breaker (he's already 24), fringe change. #3/4 if you squint hard enough.

White is a typical lightening fast good fielding CF, with a light bat. Minor league OBP is BARELY north of .300.
    "I can still throw it in the 70s. And I can throw it in the 80s if I don't want to comb my hair for a week." - Bob Feller at age 66 when asked how hard he could throw.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (01-19-2017)

Color me skeptical about Castillo. If he is such a hot prospect, then why have the pitching poor Marlins traded him twice in the last six months?

Not saying that they shouldn't trade Straily, but the return may not be as good as some think.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-19-2017)

That is a really nice return for Straily. Straily had a solid year but I am suprised they were able to get this much for Straily. Shows the value of making a trade at the right time.

9. Likes:

jwdoc77 (01-19-2017)

I like Castillo and White, Brice seems like a throw-in but he throws hard so he has a chance. Not bad at all for a waiver wire claim likely to fall back to earth.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    This smoke and mirrors idea where is this coming from.
    Strailey is a FB pitcher so he should have a low babip especially in GABP and with our outfield D. And because of this he will always way outpreform FIP.
    Most of what you said is right, he will tend to have a lower BABIP being a flyball pitcher. And especially in GABP because giving up home runs instead of singles lowers your BABIP. However, he also had an abnormally high strand rate compared to the rest of his career and compared to the average MLB rate of about 70%. He also walks a lot of people. A high BB% and high HR% is a recipe for disaster in GABP.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Color me skeptical about Castillo. If he is such a hot prospect, then why have the pitching poor Marlins traded him twice in the last six months?

Not saying that they shouldn't trade Straily, but the return may not be as good as some think.
    Marlins are operating a lot like the Angels over the last year or so, trading their only minor league talent to bolster their ML roster.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

I'm... torn. I've followed Straily since his days with Oakland. He once led professional baseball in K's. He has/had the ability to get K's and he now may be going to a cavernous park for a team with a pretty good OF, better in fact than the Reds OF overall. Plus, the guy can apparently teach. The impact of him leaving, on say Brandon Finnegan cannot be overlooked. (Straily taught Finnegan his changeup grip if you'll recall.)

But, if the players reportedly coming back is true, that is a haul. It almost guarantees one of Stephenson, Reed or Garrett are on the OD roster as the 4th SP. Not sure on Jan. 19 how thrilled I am with that. I might think differently on OD, but I'd really rather the three of them get 3+ starts at AAA this year before they make their season debut.

Also it seems more likely the Reds grab a FA pitcher. Not overly enamored with that option either.

Straily makes a lot of sense for the Marlins right now. FB pitcher in a pitcher's park. They need some good character guys to help settle the rotation and the team right now. He's cheap, which they love, and under team control.

If Brice can come in and make an immediate, positive impact on the bullpen, well that's a big deal. A very big deal.

Storen
    Iglesias
    Lorenzen
    Cingrani
    Jumbo
    Wood
    Brice

There's some oomph in that bullpen.
    "There was like a softness to it, a glow to it. I felt... I felt warm."

-- Joseph Daniel Votto 7/10/2017

14. Likes:

malcontent (01-19-2017),REDREAD (01-19-2017)

I don't think the Marlins are the poster boy of making smart moves. I got a notification on my phone that the Reds were close to trading Straily to the Marlins and was giddy before I knew who was involved just because it was the Marlins.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

16. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (01-19-2017),Jordan (01-19-2017)

I am shocked SHOCKED you are skeptical!

Shocked!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It almost guarantees one of Stephenson, Reed or Garrett are on the OD roster as the 4th SP. Not sure on Jan. 19 how thrilled I am with that. I might think differently on OD, but I'd really rather the three of them get 3+ starts at AAA this year before they make their season debut.
    One of Stephenson, Reed, or Garrett was always going to be in the OD rotation. This just means that Adleman will be in it too.

Re: Marlins to Acquire Dan Straily

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Wasnt Straily a magic bean?
    He's that coin Charlie Bucket found in the sewer grate

20. Likes:

Big Klu (01-19-2017),cincyinco (01-19-2017),cumberlandreds (01-19-2017)

This is the 2nd (almost 3rd) time Castillo has been traded. He was also traded from the Giants for Casey McGhee back in 2014.
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

Straily "Close" to Being Traded to Miami

Buy low, sell high. The reds actually executed the straily chain of events pretty darn well. I didn't see this coming as it requires being proactive.

Strait did a nice job last year but is always going to be a homer in waiting to happen, and not going to be the contact value he currently is by the time the reds are good.

The prospects are nice on paper, and isn't going to take much more than one of the pitchers becoming a solid reliever for this to be a win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. Likes:

Caveman Techie (01-19-2017),M2 (01-19-2017),Puffy (01-19-2017)

Turn Off Ads?