Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Straily traded to Miami for prospects: RHP Castillo, RHP Brice, OF White

Re: Straily "Close" to Being Traded to Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I am shocked SHOCKED you are skeptical!

Shocked!!!

THom, is that you?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Likes:

Raisor (01-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Mark Sheldon

@m_sheldon

Straily says he has yet to be told he's been traded #reds
    I bet Michael Lorenzen doesn't have his number to break the news.

The players the Reds got in return may not pan out, but that doesn't mean this isn't a good deal. I'm more interested in the thought process of this new front office and if they are willing to cash in guys at peak value (not cornerstone players, more the middle/bottom of the roster types), then sign me up. It's a good first solo trade for Williams and hopefully a sign of things to come.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

This looks like great execution by Dick and co. Been a while since that could be said. Straily was house money. Pats on the back all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    THom, is that you?
    Right. Down. Broadway.

Right. Down. Broadway.
    You're unbelievable, Raisor.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    "[Price] said he and the GM have become “somewhat in lockstep” with how they view the best way forward for the team, including how to handle promotions and playing young players while also trying to win games."

8. Likes:

Chip R (01-19-2017),cincyinco (01-19-2017),OGB (01-19-2017),Raisor (01-19-2017),RedsfaninMT (01-19-2017),Tom Servo (01-19-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Wow! I didn't think Straily would be gone until the ASB but this works.

Quick glance at #s, Castillo I bet ends up as a closer or high leverage bullpen arm. White moved up a level and improved his K/BB ratio tremendously (from 11/1 to 3/1) which bodes well. And Brice has struck out almost a batter per inning in the minors, though his walk numbers give pause. For Straily, I'll take this.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

@JonHeyman

Gotta give reds credit. Straily, a waiver pickup for them, nets them 2 good pitching prospects (Castillo, brice) plus

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Wow! I didn't think Straily would be gone until the ASB but this works.

Quick glance at #s, Castillo I bet ends up as a closer or high leverage bullpen arm. White moved up a level and improved his K/BB ratio tremendously (from 11/1 to 3/1) which bodes well. And Brice has struck out almost a batter per inning in the minors, though his walk numbers give pause. For Straily, I'll take this.
    Don't sleep too much on White. The numbers aren't much to look at, but he just turned 20 the other week and is considered a plus defender with plus speed. Just gotta work on the hitting part.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

At this point, is this deal actually done?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Eric Longenhagen from Fangraphs

@longenhagen

Luis Castillo sustainable upper-90s velo, inconsistent, slurvy breaker (he's already 24), fringe change. #3/4 if you squint hard enough.
    I mean, I get it, Fangraphs (you do you), but...

Things that don't happen at "already 24" - going from low 90s to upper-90s sustainable velocity.

Things that might happen at "already 24" - improving the slurve or the change.

Really happy with this particular lottery ticket. That's the kind of high upside arm they should be acquiring. Power pitchers can come on later in their 20s. Even recent baseball history is replete with that. Maybe this is my Jose Rijo hangover from acquiring him in the late 80s, but, man, this is the kind of deal that quickens the blood as a fan. Good for them.
    Last edited by membengal; 01-19-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Kiss of Death?

Name:  Doomed.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  47.8 KB

15. Likes:

camisadelgolf (01-19-2017),cincyinco (01-19-2017),CySeymour (01-19-2017),dubc47834 (01-19-2017),OhioRiverBarge (01-19-2017),Redeyecat (01-19-2017),RedlegJake (01-19-2017),REDREAD (01-19-2017),Tom Servo (01-19-2017)

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 58m58 minutes ago

Brice likely to start in #Reds’ bullpen or AAA rotation. Castillo, the main target, likely to start at AA, maintains 97-100 mph as starter.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Kiss of Death?

Bowden would have traded Straily + just for the athletic OF prospect.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-19-2017),Boss-Hog (01-19-2017),camisadelgolf (01-19-2017),CarolinaRedleg (01-19-2017),Chip R (01-19-2017),cincyinco (01-19-2017),corkedbat (01-19-2017),malcontent (01-19-2017),OGB (01-19-2017),Revering4Blue (01-19-2017),sdwagers (01-19-2017),StRedlegs900 (01-19-2017),Tom Servo (01-19-2017),TRF (01-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Kiss of Death?

Man I felt great about this trade until you posted that!

20. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-20-2017)

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Don't sleep too much on White. The numbers aren't much to look at, but he just turned 20 the other week and is considered a plus defender with plus speed. Just gotta work on the hitting part.
    Agreed. In our prospects poll I'd probably put him between #25 and #35, grouped with guys like Beltre, Siri, Sweet, et al.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Turn Off Ads?