Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Footbal - 2017

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Ohio State Footbal - 2017

2017 OSU recruiting class wrap-up.

Another 247 Sports Top 5 rated recruiting class with only 21 commits from Meyer and crew. An amazing .9447 average rating from this class which is just loaded with talent. Nine of these guys early enrolled and are on campus and a handful of them will be looking for significant playing time this season.

The 2015 Redshirts stood up and contributed a good deal to the 2016 season, however that class had 21 redshirt freshman. For the 2016 class, as best as I can tell Ö 12 of the 23 players in the #5 247 Composite class ended up redshirting: Looking at the 2015 list there were a number of guys that were highly likely to provide a significant contribution Ö I donít see that kind of impact coming out of this group.

• Malik Barrow, DT
    • Tuf Borland, LB
    • Drue Chrisman, P
    • Jake Hausmann
    • Luke Farrell, TE
    • Kierre Hawkins, TE
    • Wayne Davis, CB
    • Dwayne Haskins, QB
    • Tyler Gerald, OL
    • Gavin Cupp, OL
    • Jack Wohlabaugh, OL
    • Jahsen Wint, SAF

Go Bucks!

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Footbal - 2017

Any news as to changes in the offense with Wilson being there?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yes, it's going to be a lot better.

Yea, it won't suck anymore.

There has been quite a bit of smoke around the program, they went after taller and guys accustomed to playing WR this past recruiting cycle.

I would love to know the whole story about the Beck/Warriner/Urban relationship. Beck was the whipping boy, primarily because Warriner had a ton of success as an OLine coach. From reading some tea leaves, Beck played pretty much third fiddle and was primary on due to recruiting (see Texas and Emory Jones.) One thing I find interesting, is Zach Smith is the WR coach, the group who has largely been disappointing, is probably the most secure assistant coach at OSU. He is Earle Bruce's grandson and Urban isn't going to remove him unless things get really really really dire.

I think Wilson and Meyer's offensive philosophy's mesh whereas Warriner may not be cut out to be an OC. Its interesting that you brought this up, because 11 Warriors just had an article about Urban and Wilson.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...s-2017-offense

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-08-2017),Assembly Hall (02-08-2017),RedTeamGo! (02-08-2017)

I am curious as to how Wilson will handle having a QB that can actually run the ball. His time at IU we had pocket passers and were blessed with good WR's and RB's. Seems to me Wilson has now got a new weapon in his arsenal.

I am curious as to how Wilson will handle having a QB that can actually run the ball. His time at IU we had pocket passers and were blessed with good WR's and RB's. Seems to me Wilson has now got a new weapon in his arsenal.
    What Wilson did with Coleman and Howard, one could only have dreamed what he would have done with Samuel and Marshall. I am very interested to see what he does with more talented than he ever had at IU.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What Wilson did with Coleman and Howard, one could only have dreamed what he would have done with Samuel and Marshall. I am very interested to see what he does with more talented than he ever had at IU.
    You forgot about Redding!!!! LOL

"So Fla Red"

Kevin Wilson is unquestionably the biggest offseason impact to OSU even despite a ridiculously good recruiting class. I really liked what he did at Indiana. They were a PITA for OSU the last few years. Always seemed like a legit offense. Not the dink and dunk and trickery smoke and mirrors like a lot of the less talented Power 5 teams try to run. Wilson at OSU with all the weapons at his disposal could be a lot of fun. Schiano being more in charge of the defense is fabulous too.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Kevin Wilson is unquestionably the biggest offseason impact to OSU even despite a ridiculously good recruiting class. I really liked what he did at Indiana. They were a PITA for OSU the last few years. Always seemed like a legit offense. Not the dink and dunk and trickery smoke and mirrors like a lot of the less talented Power 5 teams try to run. Wilson at OSU with all the weapons at his disposal could be a lot of fun. Schiano being more in charge of the defense is fabulous too.
    Trying to keep my hopes in check, but the combination of Wilson, Schiano and a strong roster has me very excited about the upcoming season.

2017 Schedule

@ Indiana
    Oklahoma
    Army
    UNLV
    @Rutgers
    Maryland
    @Nebraska
    BYE
    Penn St
    @Iowa
    Michigan State
    Illinois
    @Michigan

Schedule next year isn't killer. Oklahoma and Penn St both come to Columbus and those are likely the hardest games.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    2017 Schedule

@ Indiana
    Oklahoma
    Army
    UNLV
    @Rutgers
    Maryland
    @Nebraska
    BYE
    Penn St
    @Iowa
    Michigan State
    Illinois
    @Michigan

Schedule next year isn't killer. Oklahoma and Penn St both come to Columbus and those are likely the hardest games.
    Not worried about Milksteak Jim and his band of weasle-bears?

He's kooky as can be, but I'm not sure I'll ever feel too comfortable playing a Harbaugh-coached team.

2017 Schedule

@ Indiana
    Oklahoma
    Army
    UNLV
    @Rutgers
    Maryland
    @Nebraska
    BYE
    Penn St
    @Iowa
    Michigan State
    Illinois
    @Michigan

I am a little worried about OU coming into Columbus that early in the season. I think Baker Mayfield is a good college QB, and he is going to be facing a very raw secondary. The front seven should dominate, but if they don't will the secondary come together as quickly as they did this past season?

PSU after a bye, at night (guessing), and wanting revenge? I am guessing its a blowout.

Michigan lost the greatest player ever to don a college football uniform in Jabril Peppers, I have no idea how they are going to bounce back from such a devastating loss. Can you imagine? A guy playing S who only picked off one pass, a guy returning punts who only did stuff against terrible competition, and a guy who when needed in the biggest games, fell short? I have no idea where Michigan goes.

Harbaugh will do Harbaugh things, muddy up the game, play two TE's a FB and try and win in a low scoring contest. If Wilson gets his offense humming, I don't expect to see a young Michigan team beat OSU.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-13-2017),RedTeamGo! (02-13-2017)

I am a little worried about OU coming into Columbus that early in the season. I think Baker Mayfield is a good college QB, and he is going to be facing a very raw secondary. The front seven should dominate, but if they don't will the secondary come together as quickly as they did this past season?

PSU after a bye, at night (guessing), and wanting revenge? I am guessing its a blowout.

Michigan lost the greatest player ever to don a college football uniform in Jabril Peppers, I have no idea how they are going to bounce back from such a devastating loss. Can you imagine? A guy playing S who only picked off one pass, a guy returning punts who only did stuff against terrible competition, and a guy who when needed in the biggest games, fell short? I have no idea where Michigan goes.

Harbaugh will do Harbaugh things, muddy up the game, play two TE's a FB and try and win in a low scoring contest. If Wilson gets his offense humming, I don't expect to see a young Michigan team beat OSU.
    I agree about Michigan, I didn't consider them one of the two hardest games just because they are losing a ton, but they have recruited well.

Penn St has a ton of talent, but we do owe them one. Could finally be the dream rivalry game that Penn St fans have been dreaming about since 1995.

I agree about Michigan, I didn't consider them one of the two hardest games just because they are losing a ton, but they have recruited well.

Penn St has a ton of talent, but we do owe them one. Could finally be the dream rivalry game that Penn St fans have been dreaming about since 1995.
    Just looking at Rivals, PSU has rated in the teens into the early 20's. So yea their recruiting has been good, but not great. PSU has always played OSU tough at home and at night. This past season it took a series of fortunate events for PSU to beat OSU. Namely coming off their bye playing OSU after an overtime game at Camp Randal, a blocked punt, an epic coaching meltdown by Urban, and a blocked FG returned for a TD. When you look back at it, its one of those things where they need 4 or 5 out of the ordinary things to happen to win, and they hit the jackpot.

I guess in saying that, I really don't know what PSU will be going forward. They had a nice season, won the games they should have, won one they shouldn't have, and played well. Looking at their 2017 schedule, they play @Iowa early and also have Nebraska coming onto Happy Valley late in the season. But they have a stretch of Michigan, @OSU, @MSU, which is brutal for any team to try and run through. I am not a huge Franklin fan, I think they will see a little regression this season, but think they are on the right track. A good PSU is good for the B1G (as long as OSU beats them!), I just don't know if they are there yet.

A good PSU is good for the B1G (as long as OSU beats them!), I just don't know if they are there yet.
    Yes, the B1G needs a good Penn St., but they aren't the only school that hasnt been pulling their weight.

Turn Off Ads?