Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Footbal - 2017

Re: Ohio State Footbal - 2017

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    JT had 2 50 yd bombs that went for TD against Iowa.
    I remember the one that went for a TD, don't remember the other one. I know one to McLauren that should have been caught or drawn a PI went incomplete that was a back breaker at the stage in the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Would you like me to run down a list over just the last 10-15 years alone where highly ranked college teams, whether in the regular season, a Bowl game, or even the championship, got blown out?

It happens. And not just to Ohio State.

In last weekend's game vs Iowa there's a couple of additional elements we might be overlooking as to why this game turned into a blowout .... 1) no matter how talented/gifted they are athletically, you're still dealing with kids (IMO) who are emotionally "immature". It's why they're called amateurs.... 2) They were getting beat physically as the game progressed, and it finally reached the stage (that final level) where they were now getting beat, were actually beat down, emotionally and psychologically. From there disaster ensues.

The mettle of this team will be shown, after such a terrible loss, as they try to regroup, put it behind them, and finish the season. Can this team find the pride to care about the chase when there’s no national title to play for?

This Saturday, as they host MSU, will be very telling IMO.
    I'm not saying it never happens. I'm saying that it rarely happens and it shouldn't ever happen. When's the last time Alabama got beat by 30 some points? It's happened to OSU twice in the past calendar year. Very few teams recruit as well as Alabama and OSU. Iowa recruits very poorly for a power 5 team. These kinds of upsets are extremely rare. Saying that it's happened before doesn't get us very far

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm not saying it never happens. I'm saying that it rarely happens and it shouldn't ever happen. When's the last time Alabama got beat by 30 some points? It's happened to OSU twice in the past calendar year. Very few teams recruit as well as Alabama and OSU. Iowa recruits very poorly for a power 5 team. These kinds of upsets are extremely rare. Saying that it's happened before doesn't get us very far
    You are using recruiting rankings as your only judge here. Yea it sucks that OSU got it handed to them at Iowa. OSU recruits as one of the best teams in the nation, they have also had a tremendous amount of turnover year in year out. Ferentz, for his flaws, is one heck of a coach, a coach who routinely takes guys who stay four years and mold them into good players.

Butch Jones at Tennessee is one heck of a recruiter, he should never lose the games he does, but it happens.

LSU is a perennial good recruiter, they should never lose to Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    They lost two quality coaches, from both sides of the ball, in Tom Herman and Chris Ash.
    Plus Luke Fickell. They also turned over the offensive staff last year. The previous guys weren't doing a great job, but it still takes time to get the new staff fully integrated.

It's actually somewhat similar to the Bengals. The Bengals have more personnel issues, but losing a DC and 2 successful OCs in quick succession has clearly hurt.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You are using recruiting rankings as your only judge here. Yea it sucks that OSU got it handed to them at Iowa. OSU recruits as one of the best teams in the nation, they have also had a tremendous amount of turnover year in year out. Ferentz, for his flaws, is one heck of a coach, a coach who routinely takes guys who stay four years and mold them into good players.

Butch Jones at Tennessee is one heck of a recruiter, he should never lose the games he does, but it happens.

The problem with these comparisons is that Tennessee and LSU are not good. So while they shouldn't lose to those teams, nobody looks at those teams and thinks they could win the national championship. That's a coaching issue, but a separate one from what OSU is facing. After last week, many CFB analysts thought OSU was the best team in the country. If you take out the fluke plays and questionable calls, they would have beaten PSU by 21+. A team that has shown that kind of production on the field should not have the types of letdowns that OSU has had from Clemson until now. This can't just be chalked up to the fact that all teams suffer some bad losses. I guarantee you Meyer isn't looking at it that way.

8. Likes:

Sea Ray (11-08-2017)

Recruiting is the only thing Butch Jones has done well and that's why he can't leave fast enough for UT fans. LSU's loss to Troy was every bit as inexcusable as OSU's loss last week. Probably even more embarrassing. No question. You make it sound like this sort of thing happens all the time. I can't think of a worse OSU loss since the days of John Cooper. Can you? It's rare

Recruiting is the only thing Butch Jones has done well and that's why he can't leave fast enough for UT fans. LSU's loss to Troy was every bit as inexcusable as OSU's loss last week. Probably even more embarrassing. No question. You make it sound like this sort of thing happens all the time. I can't think of a worse OSU loss since the days of John Cooper. Can you? It's rare
    There were some bad losses the year prior to Urban. There were some bad losses in 2004 under Tressel in a rebuilding year. USC also embarrassed OSU in SoCal. I can point to the back to back Florida and LSU losses in the title game. So yea, there have been a number of painful losses, some that never should have happened, and some that were explainable.

Urban has brought a level of football that is tough to sustain. But to point to two bad losses and say "those should never happen" really ignores that fact that games like those happen in sport.

11. Likes:

jimbo (11-08-2017)

No use crying over spilled milk. Pick up the pieces and move on. Still a B1G title on the line. I guess you Buck fans will see what the true heart of this team is through the course of the rest of the season.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

There were some bad losses the year prior to Urban. There were some bad losses in 2004 under Tressel in a rebuilding year. USC also embarrassed OSU in SoCal. I can point to the back to back Florida and LSU losses in the title game. So yea, there have been a number of painful losses, some that never should have happened, and some that were explainable.

Urban has brought a level of football that is tough to sustain. But to point to two bad losses and say "those should never happen" really ignores that fact that games like those happen in sport.
    The year before Urban was screwed up on a number of levels. I don't think we need re-live those here. The losses to USC, LSU and FL were all to teams that also recruited amongst the tops in the country. In other words in those games OSU was picking on teams its own size. Iowa's talent paled compared to OSU's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    No use crying over spilled milk. Pick up the pieces and move on. Still a B1G title on the line. I guess you Buck fans will see what the true heart of this team is through the course of the rest of the season.
    I expect them to maul MSU. If they don't then there are bigger problems than I thought and we'll have a fun time dissecting those next week

The Juice Williams Illinois game in 2007 was worse. That is probably the last and only one. If we keep them to once a decade that's probably ok.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The Juice Williams Illinois game in 2007 was worse. That is probably the last and only one. If we keep them to once a decade that's probably ok.
    That was a tough one but there's no comparing the two. I think part of the problem here is the perception that OSU has always been loaded with talent like they do now. Arguably Illinois had as much if not more talent than OSU did in 2007. How quickly we forget...here's a little refresher. Know where OSU was ranked in the 2007 recruiting year? How 'bout #72? Illinois? 22. 2006 was by far the best recruiting yr Tressel had from 2003-2007. They were ranked #25. Illinois was ranked two spots lower at #27. All in all:

Year OSU Ill
    2007 72 22
    2006 25 27
    2005 74 48
    2004 55 57
    2003 46 23

https://www.scout.com/Season/2007-Fo...teTeamRankings

Add it all up and Illinois out recruited OSU 3 out of the 5 yrs and in some years it wasn't even close. Add on to that the fact that OSU only lost by 1 TD as opposed to what happened Sat night and there's really no comparison.

OSU has a star studded roster that Tressel teams could only dream about. There's no comparing.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-08-2017)

That was a tough one but there's no comparing the two. I think part of the problem here is the perception that OSU has always been loaded with talent like they do now. Arguably Illinois had as much if not more talent than OSU did in 2007. How quickly we forget...here's a little refresher. Know where OSU was ranked in the 2007 recruiting year? How 'bout #72? Illinois? 22. 2006 was by far the best recruiting yr Tressel had from 2003-2007. They were ranked #25. Illinois was ranked two spots lower at #27. All in all:

Year OSU Ill
    2007 72 22
    2006 25 27
    2005 74 48
    2004 55 57
    2003 46 23

https://www.scout.com/Season/2007-Fo...teTeamRankings

Add it all up and Illinois out recruited OSU 3 out of the 5 yrs and in some years it wasn't even close. Add on to that the fact that OSU only lost by 1 TD as opposed to what happened Sat night and there's really no comparison.

OSU has a star studded roster that Tressel teams could only dream about. There's no comparing.
    I'm not going to argue that Tressel was a better recruiter than Urban, but the numbers you posted aren't accurate. There can of course be differences between Scout and Rivals and ESPN for rankings, but from 2003-2007 OSU was ranked in the Top 15 every year. Illinois did recruit pretty well under Zook and the game was closer, but it was still a weird performance that seemingly knocked us out of the title race (until that season went full on bonkers).

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-08-2017),BillDoran (11-08-2017)

I'm not going to argue that Tressel was a better recruiter than Urban, but the numbers you posted aren't accurate. There can of course be differences between Scout and Rivals and ESPN for rankings, but from 2003-2007 OSU was ranked in the Top 15 every year. Illinois did recruit pretty well under Zook and the game was closer, but it was still a weird performance that seemingly knocked us out of the title race (until that season went full on bonkers).
    To this day I contend that Tressel's best, and most talented team was the 2005 team. They were loaded for bear all over the place. They had the early loss to Texas that never should have happened and then PSU got them at night in what may have been the first "White Out." That team had 5 first rounders, and a total of 9 picks. Not to mention Troy Smith was a heisman winning QB, Ginn and Gonzales played WR, and their defense just reloaded.

I remember vividly the talk about the OSU vs LSU title game and people talking about how OSU actually had more NFL talent. It may have been true, but what became systematic in Tressel's program, was the depth and speed across every position started to become lacking.

21. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-08-2017),Revering4Blue (11-08-2017)

Haha, Juice Williams!

I remember watching that game with my brother and I kept saying “The JUICE is LOOSE!!” to annoy him.

We were about 2 beers away from all out brawling after that one.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (11-08-2017),Revering4Blue (11-08-2017)

To this day I contend that Tressel's best, and most talented team was the 2005 team. They were loaded for bear all over the place. They had the early loss to Texas that never should have happened and then PSU got them at night in what may have been the first "White Out." That team had 5 first rounders, and a total of 9 picks. Not to mention Troy Smith was a heisman winning QB, Ginn and Gonzales played WR, and their defense just reloaded.

I remember vividly the talk about the OSU vs LSU title game and people talking about how OSU actually had more NFL talent. It may have been true, but what became systematic in Tressel's program, was the depth and speed across every position started to become lacking.
    The 2007 team did have a ton of talent, but we had Todd Boeckman at QB....so yeah. That team still had Hartline, Robiskie, Sanzenbacher, Beanie and Saine on offense. A pretty good offensive line with Boone, Barton and Cordle. A really good defense with Hayward, Laurinitis, Jenkins, Chewka, Coleman, Worthington and Wilson.

Turn Off Ads?