Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luis Castillo - underrated?

Luis Castillo - underrated?

Baseball Prospectus named Luis Castillo as one of the ten prospects to just miss their top 100.

Luis Castillo, RHP, Cincinnati Reds

I know what you all are thinking: a 24-year-old, pop-up arm who spent the majority of the year in High-A being a potential 101 guy? If we ignore some context and focus on the profile, the stuff is worthy of top 101 consideration. Castillo packs a pure 80 fastball that holds velocity through games, a potential plus slider, a changeup that has flashed average to better, and the results to go with it. But we do not ignore context and because of the factors mentioned above, Castillo is in the just missed portion. While the slider should get to plus with more consistency, the changeup hasn’t been there on a consistent basis, which could push him towards a relief future. Fortunately for Cincinnati, this is an arm with a chance to have a major impact on their roster, either sooner in a bullpen, or perhaps in 2018 in a starting rotation. —Steve Givarz
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=31171

Interesting write-up on Castillo. An 80 grade fastball that he commands well and maintains the velocity; a slider that projects as a plus pitch, and a change-up that projects as average or better. The knock on him is his age. He turned 24 in December and has only made three starts at the AA level after making a conversion to starting pitcher two years ago. Age be damned, doesn't this seem like a profile of a potential frontline starter? He seems like a kid that could put it all together and find himself pitching in Cincinnati this summer.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-15-2017),HokieRed (02-15-2017),Knightro28 (04-18-2017),marcshoe (02-15-2017),REDREAD (02-16-2017),Tom Servo (02-15-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Luis Castillo - underrated?

I've liked Castillo more and more since I've read more about him since the trade. He seems a bit like Keury Mella without all those pesky walks. I don't know if I want to try to tell myself he can be a frontline starter, but he definitely seems like he has the makings of a big league starter if that third pitch works.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (02-16-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He's a former reliever. So, the general consensus is going to be slow to change their mind that he's NOT that guy still, even if he shows otherwise.

It's interesting to see the different views on him. Keith Law has him as a Top 100 guy. BP has him as a Top 110 guy. John Sickels has him outside the Top 200, by a wide margin. Baseball America has him ranked 12th in the system and only had three Top 100 guys from the organization.

What's always weird to me is that "we" tend to treat pitchers like hitters when it comes to age. But, hitters actually age on a bell curve. Pitchers don't exactly do that. Maybe that's because injuries have historically ended careers for the most part, with only the last 15-25 years being a time when it wasn't a serious career killer to tear your UCL. Even with that, pitchers can and do "break out" at ages when hitters simply don't.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-15-2017),Benihana (04-19-2017),M2 (06-14-2017),mamrice (02-15-2017),membengal (02-15-2017),OGB (06-14-2017),REDREAD (02-16-2017)

The thing I like about Castillo is he is a power arm, and power arms can sometimes take longer to develop, so I don't stress about his age as a prospect like I would in other circumstances.

LOL - should have read the thread first - full agreement with Doug on the age thing.

9. Likes:

HokieRed (02-15-2017),OnBaseMachine (02-15-2017),REDREAD (02-16-2017)

So if Castillo just missed, Winker didn't get a mention, and the Reds only had two prospects on BP's top 101. Does that mean that they view Castillo as the Reds 3rd best prospect?
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

11. Likes:

REDREAD (02-16-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    So if Castillo just missed, Winker didn't get a mention, and the Reds only had two prospects on BP's top 101. Does that mean that they view Castillo as the Reds 3rd best prospect?
    Sounds possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He's a former reliever. So, the general consensus is going to be slow to change their mind that he's NOT that guy still, even if he shows otherwise.

It's interesting to see the different views on him. Keith Law has him as a Top 100 guy. BP has him as a Top 110 guy. John Sickels has him outside the Top 200, by a wide margin. Baseball America has him ranked 12th in the system and only had three Top 100 guys from the organization.

What's always weird to me is that "we" tend to treat pitchers like hitters when it comes to age. But, hitters actually age on a bell curve. Pitchers don't exactly do that. Maybe that's because injuries have historically ended careers for the most part, with only the last 15-25 years being a time when it wasn't a serious career killer to tear your UCL. Even with that, pitchers can and do "break out" at ages when hitters simply don't.
    after seeing Kluber emerge from seemingly nowhere to become an ace, Arrieta putting it all together in his late 20s, Rich Hill becoming a #2 starter in his late 30s & Junior Guerra coming from the Italian league to be a successful major league pitcher I'm no longer writing off anyone with a live arm.

- Brett

14. Likes:

cincyinco (02-17-2017),Edd Roush (02-16-2017),M2 (06-14-2017),mamrice (02-16-2017),marcshoe (02-18-2017),nmculbreth (04-18-2017),OGB (02-17-2017),OnBaseMachine (02-16-2017),RED VAN HOT (02-16-2017),REDREAD (02-17-2017),TRF (02-16-2017),WrongVerb (02-16-2017)

Per twitter reports, he hit 101 on the radar gun tonight

Edit: sorry - I see this was covered in the daily game thread
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 04-18-2017 at 09:51 PM.

The native of the Dominican Republic features a fastball in the upper 90s that he spots well, and Darwin -- a veteran of 21 big league seasons -- describes Castillo's changeup as "a plus Major League" pitch. A slider was added this spring.

"He set up the slider early and he had a great changeup," the pitching coach said. "He's got good command [with the fastball] down in the zone. We're working some with him on the north and south of it -- I'm trying to get him to elevate it some. He did a great job of that tonight, and he changed his grip on his slider from last time. That's going to be a key for him, if he can keep throwing that the way he did tonight.

"If everything works in order for him, he's going to be a good pitcher. ... He needs to just concentrate on being able to throw that slider consistently for strikes."
    https://www.milb.com/milb/news/cinci...22/t-185364810

Castillo was still throwing upper-90's late in the game...wowzers.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (05-11-2017),cincyinco (05-13-2017),REDREAD (05-11-2017),Tom Servo (05-11-2017)

Based on comments from Danny Darwin and a huge increase in strikeouts over the last month, it appears the development of Castillo's slider is coming along nicely. After last night's stellar 1 BB/13 K performance over eight scoreless innings, Castillo now has 76 K's in 74 innings while only walking 12 batters.

His BB% (4.1) and K% (26.0) are in elite territory. IMO, he has the best chance of any Reds pitching prospect in AA or higher to develop into a frontline starting pitcher, with Sal Romano not far behind.

"He was mixing the location with his fastball," Pensacola pitching coach Danny Darwin told MiLB.com. "He moved it in and out well and was able to throw his changeup, even behind in the count, and showed a good slider with depth. He was just getting ahead of the hitters all night."

Castillo, 24, tallied seven of those punchouts over his final three frames, as he struck out the side in the sixth inning before fanning a pair in both the seventh and eighth.

It was the third time in Castillo's last seven starts that he has recorded double-digit strikeouts -- something he had never accomplished in 40 career starts before this season. His previous single-game high was 10 strikeouts, which he set against Birmingham on May 10, and then matched versus Jacksonville on June 1.
    http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/2...for-pensacola/

19. Likes:

REDREAD (06-14-2017),Tom Servo (06-14-2017)

21. Likes:

cincyinco (06-14-2017),Homer's Ghost (06-14-2017),OGB (06-14-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-14-2017),REDREAD (06-14-2017),Tom Servo (06-14-2017)

That first pitch was filthy.

Pitcher of the Day:

Luis Castillo, RHP, Cincinnati Reds (Double-A, Pensacola): 8 IP, 2 H, 0 R, BB, 13 K
    Signed out of the Dominican Republic in December 2011. Castillo blew up last season, and was so good that he was traded twice! Owner of an 80-grade FB, Castillo has improved the quality of his secondaries to the point where hitters who are cheating on the heat will now look foolish once he drops something else.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=32066
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (06-14-2017)

Stupid question - if Castillo has an 80-grade fastball, why is Hunter Greene's only a 70? If you throw 102mph as a 17 year old, how is that not an 80 fastball?
    Go BLUE!!!

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Stupid question - if Castillo has an 80-grade fastball, why is Hunter Greene's only a 70? If you throw 102mph as a 17 year old, how is that not an 80 fastball?
    The grade probably has to do with velocity+movement, not velocity only. A 97 MPH fastball that moves a lot is better than a 102 MPH fastball that doesn't move as much.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Likes:

cincyinco (06-14-2017)

Turn Off Ads?