Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luis Castillo - underrated?

Re: Luis Castillo - underrated?

Yes.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    after seeing Kluber emerge from seemingly nowhere to become an ace, Arrieta putting it all together in his late 20s, Rich Hill becoming a #2 starter in his late 30s & Junior Guerra coming from the Italian league to be a successful major league pitcher I'm no longer writing off anyone with a live arm.

- Brett
    I posted just yesterday that we might want to view Castillo's age as a feature rather than a bug.
    Wait until the year after next year.

What I really like about this video is that he gets the ball and is ready.

An average of around 20 seconds between pitches (and less than five after the batter is ready).

Here's a short video of Castillo blowing away a hitter yesterday with his fastball.

https://twitter.com/EscogidoBBClub/s...94296137134082

"Luis' changeup is a plus big-league pitch," catcher Joe Hudson said. "That's his pitch, that's his go-to."

The awe-inspiring offering nearly earned Cincinnati's No. 5 prospect a milestone Sunday afternoon, but ultimately, it cost him a victory.
    "He was on top of his game, he pitched in and out. He pitched down in the zone, he pitched up in the zone," Blue Wahoos pitching coach Danny Darwin said. "He had a big-league changeup and threw some very good sliders."
    Hudson and Darwin agreed Castillo's changeup is most effective when used as a complement to a sinking 70-grade fastball while working both sides of the plate.

"It's really amazing," the backstop said. "He can throw it in there for a strike and he can get a guy to chase. It helps when you can throw upper-90s with the fastball as well."
    https://www.milb.com/milb/news/cinci...98/t-185364810

6. Likes:

BillDoran (06-20-2017),REDREAD (06-21-2017),Tom Servo (06-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Here's a short video of Castillo blowing away a hitter yesterday with his fastball.

https://twitter.com/EscogidoBBClub/s...94296137134082

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/cinci...98/t-185364810
    That's interesting (and very encouraging) considering a lot of outlets said his fastball was plus, his slider flashed plus, and his changeup was below average going into this season.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's interesting (and very encouraging) considering a lot of outlets said his fastball was plus, his slider flashed plus, and his changeup was below average going into this season.
    It seems as if the change up grade and the slider grade have sort of slipped this year compared to what we heard coming over from the Marlins.

I went into the series here at Jax hoping to see Mahle and wouldn't mind seeing Castillo. But I left more excited about Castillo.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-20-2017),OnBaseMachine (06-19-2017),REDREAD (06-21-2017)

I would say no, but only because I was already so high on his potential (and he's not disappointed on those expectations).

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I went into the series here at Jax hoping to see Mahle and wouldn't mind seeing Castillo. But I left more excited about Castillo.
    I rest my case....
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

13. Likes:

Sea Ray (09-07-2017)

Turn Off Ads?