Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: College Baseball 2017

College Baseball 2017

Starts today. Who's going to Omaha this year? Who's freezing their butts off in openers today? Any interesting games this weekend? I see Xavier starts with 4 at Troy, which is not particularly interesting. I'll probably go see Wichita State this weekend because it's going to be 70 and sunny on Sunday, but they play Utah Valley, which is also not very interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Baseball 2017

Congrats to the UC Bearcats on the biggest win in the school's history on Tuesday. They beat #1 ranked, and previously unbeaten, Louisville 5-3. The win lifted the 'Cats record to 10-9 on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Congrats to the UC Bearcats on the biggest win in the school's history on Tuesday. They beat #1 ranked, and previously unbeaten, Louisville 5-3. The win lifted the 'Cats record to 10-9 on the season.
    My guy Ty Neal is their head coach. I grew up playing with and against Ty. He once shaved his own hand print into his hair. Now he's a Division 1 head coach. I try to remember things like that when my son does something stupid but relatively harmless.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

5. Likes:

texasdave (03-23-2017)

Xavier is better than usual this year, too, with an 11-10 record against a pretty good schedule. Of course, Xavier blew their 3 run lead over #1 Louisville and got "nipped" 13-4. LOL

Also, Louisville's schedule is so bad, that despite being 19-1 and #1 in the polls, their RPI is #36, only two spots ahead of Xavier at #38.

Oregon State (#1 in rpi) became the first team to sweep both Arizona schools in the same season since Stanford in '99.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

So, Xavier's Zac Lowther has retired the first 21 (including 14Ks) against an abjectly awful Villanova squad (they're 3-15). However, he's thrown 103 pitches through 7 innings. So what do you do? Leave him out there until he allows a baserunner or gets 6 more outs (pitch count be damned)? Or get him out now or after another inning (when he'll likely be in the 115-120 pitch range?

Now 24 straight for Lowther. 16 Ks and 115 pitches. No doubt he's coming out for the 9th, but is it the right move? I think he's a minor draft prospect (actually, I just checked, and d1baseball has him as the #38 ranked starting pitcher, so he's more than a minor draft prospect).
    Last edited by Boston Red; 04-07-2017 at 05:15 PM.

^ Oopsie
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I think Googins made the right call taking him out after he walked the leadoff guy in the 9th even though it ultimately cost Xavier the game.

ncaa.com's best players of the first half...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/ar...ers-first-half
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Currently at 23 games, Oregon State will have to keep it going for a few more weeks to take a run at the NCAA record. Here are the top five Division I college baseball streaks of all time:

34 wins: Florida Atlantic (1999)
    34: Texas (1977)
    33: Texas (1982)
    32: Fresno State (1988)
    32: Arizona State (1972)

Oregon State has a team ERA under 2.00. They've only given up 87 runs through Tuesday's win.

It' a down year in the Pac-12, though, so it's hard to judge.

44-4 now for Oregon State, best season by any team in Pac-8, Pac10, Pac-12 history. Need to finish with an NCAA Championship.

My Heels did ok, won all 10 ACC series this season. Hitting has been better than the last couple seasons.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    My Heels did ok, won all 10 ACC series this season. Hitting has been better than the last couple seasons.
    Should be a fun tournament in Louisville this weekend. Bizarre format, but should be fun. Hopefully Louisville wins their pool so that crowds are good on Saturday and Sunday. Given their struggles with FSU this past weekend, that's far from a certainty.

Turn Off Ads?