Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Bengals Season

Re: 2017 Bengals Off-season

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I don't mind having the overall philosophy of not investing too much on guards. But if that's the case, don't use first round picks on one.
    Exactly. Dumb decision at the time if you weren't ready to follow through with the next step should the decision work out to be correct.

A great time to pay Top-5 money for the next three years for a Top-5 RG is if you have a QB who is in his prime and you have a sub-par Center and a sub-par RT. Bengals are screwing up turning away this sure-thing. But, when the bar is set lower than any franchise in the NFL (hat other franchise would keep an 0-7 HC in the playoffs coming off a disastrous season where they finished five games under their predicted finish), what do the Bengals have to lose. It's not like they won't continue to reap the benefits of the most lopsided stadium deal in NFL history.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought there was a payroll floor now?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Jimmy Garappolo is off the trade market, driving up the price for AJ McCarron.

I'm hoping for the Bears trade proposal in this thread. Obviously I'd expect more but the Bengals can jump six spots and get a Jonathan Allen it'll be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Jimmy Garappolo is off the trade market, driving up the price for AJ McCarron.

I'm hoping for the Bears trade proposal in this thread. Obviously I'd expect more but the Bengals can jump six spots and get a Jonathan Allen it'll be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm wondering if the Browns would trade #33 and #52 for McCarron. I think that's where this ends up.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm wondering if the Browns would trade #33 and #52 for McCarron. I think that's where this ends up.
    Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't trade with a division rival, even if it is Cleveland.

That said, if the 49ers trade for Cousins, then what about the Redskins pick? Maybe get involved in a three way and the Redskins get McCarron.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

RiverRat13 (03-01-2017)

I'm off the bandwagon [that I jumped on in the mid-80s] but the Bengals really need to capitalize on AJ. Great organizations do that, time and again. Trade lottery tickets for fixed assets. Sure you're occasionally going to dump a regular all-pro for peanuts, but more often than not you're going to be trading pocket lint for usable assets.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Zeitler is expected to get 10 mil per season. Sorry but you need to be playing Tackle for that kind of money. Guards are fairly easy to find in the draft. Loved Zeitler but he has priced himself out most markets.

All rumors report to Andre Smith coming back, which I would be onboard with. On the other side, Whit is a must sign...
    Word here in Jacksonville is we'll be all over Zeitler. He'll have to file a restraining order to keep us away....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I've changed my mind on Zeitler. Sounds like he's going to get way more than you want to pay a guard.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

So, Paul Dehner, jr., who is supposed to have better insight and connections into the goings-on inside Bengaldom as it's beat-writer than anyone who writes or talks about the Bengals, guaranteed early on Wednesday that the Bengals would resign Whitworth.

Mr. Suck-up's lack of insight to anything about Pro Football aside, I guarantee that Mike Zimmer's Vikings will sign as many, if not more of, Free Agents Whitworth, Zeitler, Kirkpatrick and Burkhead than the Bengals, and I'm 2000 miles away.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I get not wanting to resign Zeitler...I think Jax will offer him more than Decastro which puts him around 10 mil+. However what bothers me is this, if your not going to resign Zeitler put the money some place else. Go after a defensive stud or take a run at Alshon to help take the pressure off Green. If your philosophy is to resign your own you better have a plan B in case they price themselves out of what you want to pay.

As for Minn and Zimmer I would gladly give them Peko and Rey M...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't trade with a division rival, even if it is Cleveland.

That said, if the 49ers trade for Cousins, then what about the Redskins pick? Maybe get involved in a three way and the Redskins get McCarron.
    The only reason I'd demand both of the Browns' 2nd round picks is them being in the same division. I'm not against intra-division trading, but I do think the Bengals should exact a bigger price than they would from any other team.

That said, the three way trade you mentioned might be intriguing. I'd ask for the #49 and #114 picks from Washington in that case.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So, Paul Dehner, jr., who is supposed to have better insight and connections into the goings-on inside Bengaldom as it's beat-writer than anyone who writes or talks about the Bengals, guaranteed early on Wednesday that the Bengals would resign Whitworth.

Mr. Suck-up's lack of insight to anything about Pro Football aside, I guarantee that Mike Zimmer's Vikings will sign as many, if not more of, Free Agents Whitworth, Zeitler, Kirkpatrick and Burkhead than the Bengals, and I'm 2000 miles away.
    I saw a tweet (I think) from Andy Benoit (I think) that said the Bengals teach a very unique technique for the hand blocking. He didn't know if Whit would want to learn something completely new at the tail end of his career. IMO the Bengals are banking on that and expecting him back.

As for Zeitler I am surprised they have let him hit FA. I do wonder if they don't plan on moving CO, or Jake Fisher to the Guard position.

Who knows what the Bengals' cost-effective decision-making will have them do? They are certainly loving the cheap costs of the 11 draft picks.

ProFootballFocus' FA assessment for the Bengals:

What you need to know: The Bengals have big decisions to make along the offensive line, as their top two linemen are free agents this offseason. They also need to improve the pass rush on defense, as well as upgrade the talent at receiver, considering the likely departure of one-year-rental Brandon LaFell.

Salary cap room: $42,995,339 (11th most in NFL; as of 2/28/2017)

Biggest needs: Defensive lineman, Wide receiver, Guard, Cornerback

Notable free agents: Andrew Whitworth, T, 91.3 overall grade in 2016, Brandon LaFell, WR, 75.7, Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, 74.7, Domato Peko, DI, 42.6

PFF's recommendation if winning is their ultimate goal:

Must Re-sign: Kevin Zeitler, G, 87.1 overall grade in 2016

Zeitler’s 87.1 overall grade ranked seventh among all guards in 2016, and has ranked least as high in 2014 and 2015. While there will be other (cheaper) options available in free agency, losing a perennial top-10 guard who is just 26 years old would do significant damage to the offense.

Dream Splash: Calais Campbell, Edge, Arizona Cardinals, 90.4

Campbell has the length the Bengals covet at defensive end, and would be a massive upgrade over current starter Michael Johnson. Johnson’s pass-rush grade has been under 45.0 for three straight seasons, while Campbell posted a 90.4 overall grade in 2016 thanks to 56 QB pressures and 34 total stops. Among all 3-4 defensive ends, Campbell finished seventh in run-stop percentage and second in pass-rush productivity last season.

***Note*** "Splash, in Free-Agency", like Atlanta's signing of Alec Mack last season, and "Mike Brown", is the ultimate oxymoron.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-02-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?