Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 553

Thread: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

  1. #31
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,697

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They aren't doing it now because they'd run the risk of losing the kid at a young age. The current system gives them a lot more control. Yet if you can't spend on a kid up front, then (if you're a big market) how can you lure in a kid with the potential to make big bucks much sooner? As far as I'm aware, there's no prohibition to handing out major league contracts to draftees or international signings. Teams generally don't do it because it's high risk, but a Luis Robert or Kevin Maitan might be worth it.
    Well, you can't sign players that count against the bonus pools to MLB deals as of the last CBA. So I'm assuming that carries forward.

    Now, what that doesn't mean is that maybe a team and agent couldn't have a handshake deal that after a year the two sides agree you would sign him to an "Evan Longoria" extension. That's where things could get interesting.

  2. Likes:

    M2 (02-27-2017),REDREAD (02-27-2017)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    38,001

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    I've seen the Cardinals linked to Robert. My guess is that's where he ends up; They lost two draft picks and will be motivated to dish out a fortune to bring in an elite talent like Luis Robert. Thanks again to the incompetant Rob Manfred. As "punishment" for hacking into the Astros database and stealing key information, the Cardinals have landed Delvin Perez, Dexter Fowler, and probably Luis Robert.

  5. #33
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,697

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've seen the Cardinals linked to Robert. My guess is that's where he ends up; They lost two draft picks and will be motivated to dish out a fortune to bring in an elite talent like Luis Robert. Thanks again to the incompetant Rob Manfred. As "punishment" for hacking into the Astros database and stealing key information, the Cardinals have landed Delvin Perez, Dexter Fowler, and probably Luis Robert.
    You've got to be willing to spend the money. Short of Manfred banning them from spending the money (he can't), this isn't really on him. Now, if you want to complain about what he's done with their future draft picks, go for it. But they landed Perez because he failed a PED test and fell down the draft boards. They landed Fowler because they were willing to pay him. Yes, it helped that they didn't have to deal with the loss of the draft pick, but that probably wasn't stopping them.

  6. #34
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    38,001

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You've got to be willing to spend the money. Short of Manfred banning them from spending the money (he can't), this isn't really on him. Now, if you want to complain about what he's done with their future draft picks, go for it. But they landed Perez because he failed a PED test and fell down the draft boards. They landed Fowler because they were willing to pay him. Yes, it helped that they didn't have to deal with the loss of the draft pick, but that probably wasn't stopping them.
    My argument is they should have been stripped of last year's draft pick, as well as banned from signing international players for more than $300,000. Instead, they received a slap on the wrist due to DeWitt and Manfred being buddies.

  7. #35
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    48,697

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My argument is they should have been stripped of last year's draft pick, as well as banned from signing international players for more than $300,000. Instead, they received a slap on the wrist due to DeWitt and Manfred being buddies.
    Why last year instead of this year when the punishment came out? Simply because they landed a guy you really liked? If they had drafted someone else, would you still feel that way? They lost two picks, just in a different year than you liked. I think it's incredibly light in punishment - but it just seems you are more upset because of who they landed with the pick.

  8. #36
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    38,001

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why last year instead of this year when the punishment came out? Simply because they landed a guy you really liked? If they had drafted someone else, would you still feel that way? They lost two picks, just in a different year than you liked. I think it's incredibly light in punishment - but it just seems you are more upset because of who they landed with the pick.
    It has nothing to do with who they drafted. I didn't specify this year compared to last. I thought at the very least the Cardinals should have lost two first round picks. Why not last year AND this year? They blatantly cheated - and broke the law - and essentially got away with it.

    Anyway, that's for another thread. Hopefully, the Reds outbid the Cardinals for Robert.

  9. #37
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    25,568

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They aren't doing it now because they'd run the risk of losing the kid at a young age. The current system gives them a lot more control. Yet if you can't spend on a kid up front, then (if you're a big market) how can you lure in a kid with the potential to make big bucks much sooner? As far as I'm aware, there's no prohibition to handing out major league contracts to draftees or international signings. Teams generally don't do it because it's high risk, but a Luis Robert or Kevin Maitan might be worth it.
    Actually, I think there is a ban on giving major league contracts to draftees now.
    I do not know about international signees though.

    I am trying to think.. didn't the A's give Cepedes some kind of unusual exception, like free agency a year earlier?
    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  10. #38
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,663

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, you can't sign players that count against the bonus pools to MLB deals as of the last CBA. So I'm assuming that carries forward.

    Now, what that doesn't mean is that maybe a team and agent couldn't have a handshake deal that after a year the two sides agree you would sign him to an "Evan Longoria" extension. That's where things could get interesting.
    Zackly.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  11. #39
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,663

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've seen the Cardinals linked to Robert. My guess is that's where he ends up; They lost two draft picks and will be motivated to dish out a fortune to bring in an elite talent like Luis Robert. Thanks again to the incompetant Rob Manfred. As "punishment" for hacking into the Astros database and stealing key information, the Cardinals have landed Delvin Perez, Dexter Fowler, and probably Luis Robert.
    They get business done. Pretty smart move if they go all-in on Robert given their circumstances.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  12. #40
    Making A Pass By GABP OhioRiverBarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    ‘Nati
    Posts
    1,532

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    The point about the Cardinals getting him really killed the chatter on this thread.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base,' a certain game of ball. We wish such sights were more common among us...The game of ball is glorious..." -Walt Whitman, 1846

  13. #41
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    38,001

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?


  14. Likes:

    Griffey012 (02-28-2017),nmculbreth (02-28-2017),Tom Servo (02-28-2017)

  15. #42
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    1,506

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Yes, please.

  16. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,518

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

  17. Likes:

    cincyinco (03-01-2017),M2 (02-28-2017),Tom Servo (02-28-2017),Vander (02-28-2017)

  18. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,201

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I know it's a batting practice fastball, but dang. Such an effortless twitch and he hits the ball out of the yard.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

  19. #45
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    37,663

    Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I know it's a batting practice fastball, but dang. Such an effortless twitch and he hits the ball out of the yard.
    How is he only 16?
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator