Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

https://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister/s...74325641310209

"excellent stuff, as always with Dick Williams. Podcast later. He did confirm their presence today, watching 19 yr Cuban stud OF Luis Robert."

2. Likes:

cincyinco (03-30-2017),marcshoe (03-30-2017),OnBaseMachine (03-30-2017),REDREAD (03-31-2017),Tom Servo (03-30-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Whatever it takes, get it done.

Gotta splurge now.. i mean, this is the year you blew your wad.. you're out of the game the next 2.. which may have been foolish, but it becomes less so if they can get this kid.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Williams also said the Reds have set up a private workout with Robert. Make this happen, Dick. Opportunities like this don't come around very often.

7. Likes:

Benihana (03-31-2017),cincyinco (03-31-2017),Donder (03-31-2017),lollipopcurve (03-31-2017),REDREAD (03-31-2017),redsman2007 (03-31-2017),tcnoles1 (03-31-2017),Tom Servo (03-31-2017)

I would love for this to happen, but I fully expect one of the big market teams to out-bid the Reds.

A rare opportunity for them to add a big talent without losing a draft pick. If they have a private workout setup, clearly they're giving it serious consideration. Crossing my fingers.
    Just call me Legs

10. Likes:

cincyinco (03-31-2017),REDREAD (03-31-2017)

I just have a feeling the Cardinals will be motivated to outbid everyone. They surrendered their first round pick to sign Dexter Fowler and their comp B pick and second rounder were stripped and given to the Astros. Manfred slapped the Cardinals on the wrist and they'll find a way to take advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I just have a feeling the Cardinals will be motivated to outbid everyone. They surrendered their first round pick to sign Dexter Fowler and their comp B pick and second rounder were stripped and given to the Astros. Manfred slapped the Cardinals on the wrist and they'll find a way to take advantage of that.
    Maybe, but in the grand scheme of baseball economics, that is like 4 million dollars worth of spending ability freed up. Nothing to sneeze at, but you can't tell me that it gives the Cards that much of a leg up. The Reds, like the Cardinals are stripped of their ability to use their entire international bonus pool for the next two years. That is a big number too.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I would love for this to happen, but I fully expect one of the big market teams to out-bid the Reds.
    It might be a long shot, but lets not forget the Reds have landed Aroldis Chapman and Raisel Iglesias. These were major signings, obviously with Chapman more so. The Reds could be motivated, and could surprise here.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Seriously. They need to do whatever it takes. This could likely be the most important do/not do move they do for the next three years- every bit as important as who they draft in June (as I don't see a huge distinction at the moment between Greene and Buskauskas, although I still prefer Greene.)

Signing Robert would easily paint over the silliness of the AlfRod signing and maybe even wash away the pain over the Chapman trade debacle.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Seriously. They need to do whatever it takes. This could likely be the most important do/not do move they do for the next three years- every bit as important as who they draft in June (as I don't see a huge distinction at the moment between Greene and Buskauskas, although I still prefer Greene.)

Signing Robert would easily paint over the silliness of the AlfRod signing and maybe even wash away the pain over the Chapman trade debacle.
    The problem is there are multiple other teams who will do whatever it takes. If you get to $80 million territory for a 19 year old it certainly gets a little questionable.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The problem is there are multiple other teams who will do whatever it takes. If you get to $80 million territory for a 19 year old it certainly gets a little questionable.
    Well for that level of money we can go get a top end mlb guy and skip the risk entirely. If one of those teams really wants to make such a large dent in their payroll for someone that unproven then have at it. If he doesn't work out that's the kind of thing that gets people fired.

18. Likes:

cincyinco (04-01-2017),REDREAD (04-03-2017),RedTeamGo! (04-01-2017)

Doug spoke with Dick Williams last night regarding Robert.

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/04/...n-luis-robert/

20. Likes:

Benihana (04-01-2017),BillDoran (04-01-2017),cincyinco (04-01-2017),Donder (04-01-2017),klw (04-01-2017),marcshoe (04-01-2017),REDREAD (04-03-2017),RedsfaninMT (04-01-2017),RedTeamGo! (04-01-2017),SirFelixCat (04-02-2017),StRedlegs900 (04-01-2017),Tom Servo (04-01-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He won't get into $80M territory. He will likely sign for less than half of that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    He won't get into $80M territory. He will likely sign for less than half of that.
    But if he signs for $40 Million it will cost the Reds $80 Million because of the penalty. That will true of every team. So maybe that will hold the price down, but I'd guess there are other teams that will pay it more quickly than the Reds will. I agree that it's probably still a little high, but even if it's $15 Million, that means $30 Million and I doubt the Reds go there.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

23. Likes:

REDREAD (04-03-2017)

Turn Off Ads?