Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

Re: Luis Robert - How much should the Reds offer?

How're the other four teams looking as far as how much they've spent this international period? The White Sox apparently aren't big on international spending, but they haven't spent much. Looks like the Cards have already spent a bunch of money, both internationally and on the FA market. The Dads have broken the bank this period, do they have a lot more to throw out? The Astros haven't spent what we have either.

We might be in a good position to sign this kid as far as competition goes. Might as well go broke, we have freed up quite a bit of money from the major league roster. Let's hope MLB doesn't want to use Robert as a poster boy for the new hard cap next international period.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    You are basically positioning yourself to rip on th the reds for years. It's unlikely they will get this kid, and it won't just be for black and white reasons. He may take the Yankees or Dodgers for example simply because he wants to live in NY or LA.
    You're absolutely right. Except that the Yankees and Dodgers are banned from signing him. Come educated or don't come at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Beni is at least consistent though, he wants every highly-touted Cuban or Dominican teenager.
    Only the middle infielders and bat-first OF- the two positions where they seem to be superior to Americans, and the two positions the Reds haven't been able to draft for crap in the last decade. You'll never see me drool over the pitchers, although I'll acknowledge that's the one area that they've historically had some success in landing.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-02-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

4. Likes:

LoganBuck (04-03-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    You're absolutely right. Except that the Yankees and Dodgers are banned from signing him. Come educated or don't come at all.
    Lol. I just meant he could choose another team for reasons other than money. Fine, he could prefer living in San Diego or want to play for a perennial winner like the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The Reds should be willing to pay this guy three times what they paid Alf, at least according to all of the scouting reports and interest. If they can't afford to do that it's their issue for misallocating resources.
    I agree!

While they're at it, they should also do whatever it takes to trade for Mike Trout.

After all, the Angels aren't going anywhere fast and prospects could really help them.

Of course, I wouldn't give up Senzel or Trammell because they're really good (though I'd have picked Rutherford in place of Trammell and Moniak instead of Senzel-- stupid RedS!1!). And Romano's good too, so we obviously can't deal him. And Mahle. And because the Reds are trying to compete, they should only deal those players who suck off the 25-man roster.

So yeah, do whatever it takes, but don't trade anyone good.

Oh, and Williams sucks! And so did Jocketty!!

This armchair GMing thing is easy-- anyone could do it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I agree!

While they're at it, they should also do whatever it takes to trade for Mike Trout.

After all, the Angels aren't going anywhere fast and prospects could really help them.

Of course, I wouldn't give up Senzel or Trammell because they're really good (though I'd have picked Rutherford in place of Trammell and Moniak instead of Senzel-- stupid RedS!1!). And Romano's good too, so we obviously can't deal him. And Mahle. And because the Reds are trying to compete, they should only deal those players who suck off the 25-man roster.

Great PoSt!1!

Happy Opening Day, sounds like you need it
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-03-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I agree!

Strawman much? What does Trout have to do with Luis Robert?

They should be willing to go big on a player like Luis Robert - especially considering how big they went on Alf. If they are serious about competing in the near to mid term then they need to stockpile young talent. Talent to backfill with enough left over to trade for upgrades when/if the window opens. Can they win the bidding war for Robert? Not sure. But they should be all in considering they will be hampered on the international market in the next few years.

Failure to sign Louis Robert will not necessarily be an organizational failure. Failure to step up big time in the attempt would. If it meant they had to trade Cozart for pennies on the dollar and find other ways to shed contracts of players that won't be around in a few years then so be it.
    Last edited by puca; 04-03-2017 at 12:46 PM.

9. Likes:

Benihana (04-03-2017)

Wow.. okay. Anyway..

The Cards just spent a bunch of money on Yadi and Piscotty. How much will that impact them in making a run at Louis Robert?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Wow.. okay. Anyway..

The Cards just spent a bunch of money on Yadi and Piscotty. How much will that impact them in making a run at Louis Robert?
    Probably none. The Cards are not shy about spending and pretty smart at cutting fat when necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Wow.. okay. Anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Strawman much? What does Trout have to do with Luis Robert?
    It's the false choice of Roberts or bust.

Sometimes-- no, most of the time, it's not as simple as money. Or who wants to win/ spend more.

I'd like to have the guy too, don't get me wrong. But insisting the Reds suck if they don't sign him? That's silly.

14. Likes:

Vander (04-03-2017)

Sometimes-- no, most of the time, it's not as simple as money. Or who wants to win/ spend more.

I'd like to have the guy too, don't get me wrong. But insisting the Reds suck if they don't sign him? That's silly.
    C.R.E.A.M

16. Likes:

cincy09 (04-04-2017),nmculbreth (04-04-2017)

Except the post you quoted said nothing about the Reds sucking if they didn't sign him. It basically said that the Reds should be willing to offer Robert a huge amount. I may disagree with the yardstick he used, but I agree with the premise.

Obviously at the end of the day we may never know what the Reds offered Robert if he signs elsewhere, but chances are it will have been less than or similar to what he winds up getting.

Except the post you quoted said nothing about the Reds sucking if they didn't sign him.
    That post might have said that directly but we are all very familiar with Benihana's beliefs on this.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (04-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That post might have said that directly but we are all very familiar with Benihana's beliefs on this.
    Mea Culpa. I tend to take each post at face value. I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if Beni implied that the 'reds suck if they don't sign Robert' earlier. I just didn't get that from the post that was quoted.

Mea Culpa. I tend to take each post at face value. I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if Beni implied that the 'reds suck if they don't sign Robert' earlier. I just didn't get that from the post that was quoted.
    No, it's not your fault. I didn't say "the Reds suck" or "do whatever it takes, but don't trade anyone good" anywhere in this thread, or even anywhere on this board in the last twelve months. I said they should (and need to) make a competitive offer for Luis Robert, given the position he plays, the depth in the system, and the fact that they won't be able to sign players of his caliber for the next three years. I never said they have to sign him or they suck. I just said they need to make their absolute best effort to, and spending $20M on him would be a better allocation of resources than spending $7M on Alfredo Rodriguez, based off of all available scouting reports and what seems like industry consensus. And I stand firm by my statements, and I think many reasonable and realistic people, both Reds fans and non-Reds fans, would agree with them.

I didn't realize that dismissing any posts made by a poster that's been on this board five times as long as those doing the critiquing because "we know how he feels regardless of what he says" was in the spirit of Redszone.
    Go BLUE!!!

22. Likes:

REDREAD (04-06-2017)

Turn Off Ads?