Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2017 breakout prospect?

Re: 2017 breakout prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I'm with Edd Roush on Tanner Rainey. I'll throw out Miles Gordon from the offensive side.
    I don't know about breakout, but I feel good about these two going forward.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This was a fun thread to look back on.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...light=breakout

Last season I chose Phillip Ervin and Shed Long as my breakout prospects. I guess one out of two ain't bad. Ervin was plagued by the same problems in the past - the inability to hit for a respectable average. The power, on-base ability, and speed are all intriguing but until he can hit .265+ in the minor leagues, it's hard to envision him starting at the major league level.

Shed Long rewarded my faith in him by hitting a combined .293/.371/.471 between Dayton and Daytona, and landed himself in the top five on a couple Reds prospects lists. Other than Shed Long, Sal Romano and Aristides Aquino had arguably the biggest breakout seasons last year. Who will take the next step forward this season? There are a handful of candidates, but two really stick out to me:

Luis Castillo

Castillo is coming off a season in which he successfully transitioned from the bullpen to starting rotation and posted a 1.38 BB/9 and 2.46 FIP in High-A. However, his K/9 was low (6.96) for a guy that throws 97-100 mph with a plus slider. Reports are the Reds have been impressed with his change-up early on. With the experience of starting under his belt and the development of his change-up, I'm predicting Castillo boosts his K/9 over 9.0 and dominates the Southern League. He debuts in Cincinnati during the summer and teases us with frontline starting pitcher potential.

Among hitters, Taylor Trammell is the easy choice. Considered a raw but toolsy kid, Trammell surprised by hitting .303 in the Pioneer League with a solid 9.1% walk rate. He's got some impressive untapped power in his frame. He's only 19, so it could be another year or two before we see his power blossom but his other tools are impressive enough for him to establish himself as a top 75 prospect this time next year. Jonathan Mayo tweeted he wouldn't be surprised if Trammell is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball at some point.
    I'm wrong more than I'm right, but I'm pleased with my picks here.

4. Likes:

Benihana (08-14-2017),mth123 (08-13-2017)

My pick was Rookie Davis, and I think, despite results, he's pretty close to reaching the criteria. Came out of nowhere, made the rotation out of ST. He's having an interesting season at AAA since being sent down and still has some developing to do. Might be a good #3-4 SP in the future. That's probably his ceiling.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (08-18-2017)

My pick was Nick Hanson, then he went all TJ on me. I also liked Beltre and he's nosedived this year. At 22 and in the MW league I wonder if they hold him back or go ahead and move him up next year. He does have a good walk rate and his K rate isn't terrible. I'll defer to Doug or redsof72 as to why but I'm guessing off speed pitches are a problem....
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I picked Alfredo Rodriguez because no one else would. He's pretty much exactly what we expected though. I still think he'll eventually have value as a bench player, but I'd be shocked if he ever became a top-100 prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I picked Alfredo Rodriguez because no one else would. He's pretty much exactly what we expected though. I still think he'll eventually have value as a bench player, but I'd be shocked if he ever became a top-100 prospect.
    I think if Alf's defense is there, he'll be a starting SS in the big leagues. He may not be a top 100 prospect, but Jose Iglesias never hit as a minor leaguer and he's not only a starter but considered a very solid one. If Cozart leaves and Suarez can't make the move to SS, it may happen sooner than a lot of people think.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-15-2017)

I'm not playing this game next season. Mine was Ian Kahaloa...
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

12. Likes:

butsch16 (08-15-2017),NC Reds (08-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I'm not playing this game next season. Mine was Ian Kahaloa...
    Same. Maybe he'll get a couple starts in before Billings' season is and we can have a small victory.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butsch16 View Post
    Same. Maybe he'll get a couple starts in before Billings' season is and we can have a small victory.
    I wouldn't bet on that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that happening.
    Call it wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Daniel Sweet and Scott Moss.
    Kinda hit on Moss, and Sweet hasn't been bad, just not really what I'd call a breakout.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Kinda hit on Moss, and Sweet hasn't been bad, just not really what I'd call a breakout.
    Sweet has actually had a pretty good year offensively but he hasn't hit for any power of note. .372 OBP

At the very least he continues to outperform his Dallas Baptist teammate taken 23 rounds ahead of him, David Martinelli.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Keury Mella
    Tony Santillan

Phil Ervin. This time for real.
    It may be late, but my third pick has stepped up at last! So that's two out of three.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?