Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Stephenson - the 1st rounder everyone forgot

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tyler Stephenson - the 1st rounder everyone forgot

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    How about moving him off catcher. Everyone wants Johnny Bench, but if a guy can hit, I mean really hit, I look at moving him down the spectrum.
    But if a guy can hit, and I mean really hit, and he can catch, he's worth his weight in gold, times about 6.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But if a guy can hit, and I mean really hit, and he can catch, he's worth his weight in gold, times about 6.
    Sure. But you risk extra development time, possible visits to the DL and a shorter career.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sure. But you risk extra development time, possible visits to the DL and a shorter career.
    The developing team should be more concerned about those first 7 years and the career toll of being a catcher because odds are that's all they are going to ever see.

Longer development doesn't matter much. Produce when you get there.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-21-2017),puca (07-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Longer development doesn't matter much. Produce when you get there.
    It does if you're not getting a great bat in the bigs because he's learning to catch.

Obviously there are a lot of variables here:

Do we think Stephenson now starts next season in High A? I think he's proved he hits enough to be there. Are there any reports on his D?

Crud. He looked really good this year too.
    I would expect Daytona next year. He's proved he can hit and throw at low A.
    Any word on HOW he tore up his thumb?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Any chance he catches in the Arizona Fall league? IIRC, he'd be on the younger side for that, but if he's recovered fully, it would be a chance to get him some extra at bats and innings behind the dish before winter comes.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (07-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Crud. He looked really good this year too.
    I would expect Daytona next year. He's proved he can hit and throw at low A.
    Any word on HOW he tore up his thumb?
    He hurt his thumb sliding into second base on a stolen base attempt. Caught it as he slid in and reached for the base.

Not sure I get the calls to move Tyler to a new position. What is that about? He has never suffered an injury while playing defense. His defense is coming along. He was drafted as a catcher, why would you move him? That seems like a strange request.

12. Likes:

cincyinco (07-21-2017),Edd Roush (07-21-2017),OGB (07-21-2017),RedlegJake (07-23-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He hurt his thumb sliding into second base on a stolen base attempt. Caught it as he slid in and reached for the base.
    And this is why I'm not the biggest fan of stolen base attempts unless it's a guy like Hamilton whose entire game is centered around speed and stolen bases. I'm surprised more players haven't gone to a padded glove while on the basepaths.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

Not sure I get the calls to move Tyler to a new position. What is that about? He has never suffered an injury while playing defense. His defense is coming along. He was drafted as a catcher, why would you move him? That seems like a strange request.
    Thank You.

I have not joined the call to move him, but he's big for a catcher. There just aren't a lot of catchers that size. David Ross and....I can't think of another off hand. Obviously the front office that drafted him isn't going to move him for that reason, but he was dangerous with the bat earlier in the year and that's a skill that always plays well. IIRC both Votto and Long were drafted as catchers. Neither of TySteves injuries had to do with catching. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Staying healthy is a skill.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    And this is why I'm not the biggest fan of stolen base attempts unless it's a guy like Hamilton whose entire game is centered around speed and stolen bases. I'm surprised more players haven't gone to a padded glove while on the basepaths.
    I don't know, it was just a slide into a base, and the fact that it went down in the stats as a stolen base attempt was not really part of it. It was actually the back end of a double steal with Trammell stealing third and Stephenson going to second and the catcher played on the back runner. He slid past the base a little, feet first, and reached back and caught his thumb. It was no different than trying to go to second on a wild pitch, overthrow, stretching a single into a double, or almost any close play where a slide is involved. I am not a big believer in the idea of either a) he is injury prone; or b) there was anything about it that could have decreased the chance of an injury. Every player on the field who plays hard has the potential to get hurt at some point over a season, on any given play. This one, unfortunately, cost him about 40 games.
    Last edited by redsof72; 07-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.

16. Likes:

cincyinco (07-21-2017),Edd Roush (07-21-2017),OGB (07-21-2017),Old school 1983 (07-21-2017),podgejeff_ (07-21-2017),RedlegJake (07-23-2017),REDREAD (07-24-2017)

How about moving him off catcher. Everyone wants Johnny Bench, but if a guy can hit, I mean really hit, I look at moving him down the spectrum.
    He can hit...for a catcher. His numbers would be a lot less impressive as a 1b. Tyler Stephenson's path to the bigs is made a lot easier if he stays at catcher.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-21-2017),REDREAD (07-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Meh it was only his 3rd attempt of the year, so it's not like he's being reckless.

I think it makes sense for most guys to attempt one periodically just to keep the defense honest.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Thank You.

I have not joined the call to move him, but he's big for a catcher. There just aren't a lot of catchers that size.
    Yes, his size is part of it.

FTR, I'm not calling for him to be moved. But I think you have to keep open to it.

Good article by Doug on the Athletic on Tyler here:

https://theathletic.com/321151/2018/...st-round-pick/

To say that Reds prospect Tyler Stephenson is off to a strong start to the 2018 season would be an understatement.

The 21-year-old catcher is crushing the baseball to the tune of a .390 batting average, a .500 on-base percentage, and a .610 slugging percentage in the first two weeks of the season for the Advanced-A Daytona Tortugas. He's also walked more often than he's struck out this season. It's early, but he's showing all of the potential that led to him being drafted in the first round by the Reds three seasons ago.
    It was in Arizona during the summer of 2016 where he and current Cincinnati outfielder Jesse Winker were both rehabbing wrist injuries. Winker, known for his outstanding approach at the plate, shared plenty of knowledge with Stephenson during the week they spent together.

“We had gone to dinner just about every day,” Stephenson said. “Just learning from him, he's had success just about his whole career. But he talked about how he struggled in the first half of one season, but he picked it up, and talking to him about learning how to deal with struggles. It's nice to learn from someone that's been there and had that success.”
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (04-23-2018),BillDoran (04-20-2018),Edd Roush (04-20-2018),HokieRed (04-20-2018),klw (04-20-2018),Redeyecat (04-21-2018),REDREAD (05-02-2018),StRedlegs900 (04-21-2018),Tom Servo (04-20-2018)

Turn Off Ads?