Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going Back to a Flip Phone

Going Back to a Flip Phone

So I was late to a smart phone, like I got one a year ago.

And I regret it. I never use anything but the phone. And it's costly.

I don't really understand what I'm missing. People are transfixed by these things. But the screen's too small for internet browsing. Is it games? Are people just playing games?

IDK, I do crosswords, so I always have a puzzle and pen with me.

Help me out. I can't see a reason to keep it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Going Back to a Flip Phone

I've considered going back to a dumb phone because they're way more secure and can't be tracked like a smart phone.

I do use my smart phone for browsing and games. Also for maps, Facebook, podcasts, Spotify, and a bunch of lesser apps (like sound hound which will identify any song).
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I finally gave in and bought a pre-paid smart phone. I think data plans are the new-car-undercoating of the 21st century, but I needed both a new phone and tablet and couldn't afford both, so this was my compromise.

I think I'd rather do it the way I did before.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 04-14-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I only use a few apps. Much of it is work related. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Gmail, Slack. Spotify and Pandora for music.

It's not worth the cost alone, but I also use something called Pocket:

https://getpocket.com

I save long articles and then in dead times, when I'm sitting with nothing better to do I have reading material.

I'm not someone that upgrades phones until the last one is dead, so I'm using an iPhone that's a few years old.

There's ways to have one, if you even want one, for pretty low cost:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/...gle-fi-review/

Involves using wifi a lot.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm certainly don't get the most use out of my smart phone, but there are times is quite handy.

Aside from the phone/texting options, getting/sending email (not as easy to type/send on a smart phone as it is for me to type, so I rarely send).

Photos, with 3 young kids, its always nice to have a camera in my pocket. Certainly its not as high quality as some of the big DSL cameras that I see people have, but I'm not organized enough w/ photos to get good use out of something like that, not to mention having to slug it around.

I don't get as much use out of this as I the guys who work out in the field (construction) do in my business, but they can call and ask a question, I can draw something up and email it to them while they are in the field so they can see my solution and correct the issue.

I've taken a photo once on something on my car to a mechanic buddy of mine, he was able to look at it quick and tell me how to fix it (it was a very minor thing, and it was nice to just text him a picture and talk over the phone for 2 minutes rather than drive over to his house so he could look at it)

Directions/maps are nice. Not often needed, but when they are, its very handy.
    The internet is nice, again not often needed, and you are correct that its tough to read, but at times you are somewhere where you need an answer to a question and can often find it online.
    Games, I play a couple, again a luxory, but nice to have if you are waiting in a doctor's office. I'm sure there are crossword puzzles on there as well.
    I don't read much on mine, but my wife has on her phone, so it saves you from lugging a book around.
    Music, either thru my own library or thru Pandora or some other streaming app, there are times its nice to have a music option.
    Apps, there are apps for everything, so it depends on your use, I have apps to exchange messages b/w parents and coaches on my son's football team. It makes it quite handy to send out reminders or ask questions if kids are running late or pass along game location information, etc.. I use a weather app often, its nice to be able to pull up radar and get a sense of how much rain is heading your way and when. The calculator comes in handy every once in a while, face time to talk w/ father and step mother when they are in florida for the winter so my kids can "see them". Sports apps that automatically updates me on my favorite teams to the level that I want (ie for the reds it updates me w/ the start and end of every game as well as the score since there are so many and I don't DVR and watch them later, while it only tells me the start of Bengals, Buckeyes and Dayton Flyer basketball games as I'm typically going to record those and watch it at some point if I'm not watching it live)

It seems like its getting to the point w/ the cost of a plan w/ or w/o data isn't a huge difference like it used to be. Its still more for sure, but if you can fit it into your budget, there are just so many conveniences that a smart phone enables you.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    So I was late to a smart phone, like I got one a year ago.

And I regret it. I never use anything but the phone. And it's costly.

I don't really understand what I'm missing. People are transfixed by these things. But the screen's too small for internet browsing. Is it games? Are people just playing games?

IDK, I do crosswords, so I always have a puzzle and pen with me.

Help me out. I can't see a reason to keep it.
    The # 1 benefit for me is work email. I need to be able to access support emails from my clients when I'm not in teh office.

I use the camera and listen to music/podcasts, and yelp / google maps when on road.

I also use it as a wireless hotspot for doing software support from my laptop.

I actually don't use it as a phone that much at all.
    School's out. What did you expect?

8. Likes:

goreds2 (04-24-2017),Hoosier Red (04-26-2017)

I read the news on mine, use it for music and podcasts, Twitter, banking, watch TV on it..... and Ummm MLB app would never work on a flip phone

I never use the phone part... wait there is a phone on my phone??

I also leave it at home when I know I don't need to be in contact with anyone... I'll never go back myself

10. Likes:

Razor Shines (04-14-2017),SunDeck (04-15-2017)

I read RZ on mine
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-17-2017),dabvu2498 (04-15-2017),goreds2 (04-24-2017),REDREAD (04-24-2017),westofyou (04-14-2017)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I am not a guy that is continually glued to it and don't feel naked without it; but I love the convenience, versatility, and power. I use it as a pocket computer more than anything.

Entertainment - I can watch Netflix and/or some of my cable, listen to music, read books, or listen to audio books (in the car - Overdrive app and library card!) and play the occasional game
    Communication - Text and email - don't use it as a phone all that much
    Travel - Navigation, information, E-Tickets, airline check-in, UBER, etc.
    Convenience/management - Banking, prescription, stock, alarm clock, calendar, weather
    * I have recorded a standing order for each family members for 4-5 to-go places. In a pinch I can pick up dinner at any of the 5 places on a moments notice.
    News - Follow all sports and keep up on interests (Redszone, Facebook, stocks, kayaking, deals, special interest stuff)
    Camera/Video, Google, Calculator

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-17-2017),Razor Shines (04-14-2017)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I have a tiny, first gen Moto E. It's the only smart phone I've ever had. For what I use it for (E-mail, internet browsing, music, GPS), it does its job. I'm not a social media sloot, so I don't use the camera very much (it's pretty low res either way). The biggest drawback for me is definitely storage space.

Will probably upgrade soon.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I've never had a smart phone and I'm good with that. I don't want to spend the money on the phone and I really loathe the monthly payments of a data plan. Problem is it's hard to find "dumb phones" anymore. The national carriers are pushing us all into smart phones. What'd really be valuable is a dumb phone that has the capability of linking to Wi-Fi but they won't make those 'cause they want to sell you data plans

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I'm certainly don't get the most use out of my smart phone, but there are times is quite handy.
    That's pretty much my position too. I didn't get my first smart phone until we left Verizon 2 years ago and went with Tracfone, where I got a good deal on a Galaxy Android. I love Tracfone. Every time we need minutes, and I get them on their website, everything (minutes, text, data) triples. Went from paying over $1700/year (Verizon) to under $400/year, and I've not had one bit of a problem with my service.

But I don't use my smart phone to it's full "capabilities". I use it primarily as a phone, with some texting (love speech to text option), and rarely get on the 'net, other then to look something up real quick. But it's nice to have those "options" if needed.

My wife still has a flip-phone. She's not a "tech" person, and has no desire whatsoever to get a smart phone. Just wants a basic phone. I get her a one year card for around $100, and she never comes close to using up the minutes (LOL).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I use mine all the time. Mainly for Photos, Music, Twitter, and its my music device and tracker for running. Its nice to be able to take out the phone and take a picture in seconds, but it requires me to continually clean up my memory.

I don't really read articles, nor do I like to buy anything on it. I sit in front of a computer all day at work and really don't care to sit in front of one at home. What I find is nice is I can search from something rather quickly and then just turn it off when I get what I want.

Since I have Bluetooth in my vehicles, I do love having Spotify on my phone. Use it daily.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I still pay for my line, about $15 per month, but have eliminated using a phone completely.

because I hate everyone that might have my phone number.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

21. Likes:

goreds2 (04-24-2017),Hoosier Red (04-26-2017),Joseph (04-25-2017),Rojo (04-18-2017),westofyou (04-18-2017)

Turn Off Ads?