Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Phil Ervin

Ok so obviously, and understandably, Winker gets all the buzz about being the 'next man up' in the OF. But I feel like throwing a little love Phil's way. He had a very promising start to his career after the Reds drafted him in 2013, before hitting about .240 his next 3 seasons. It's only 7 games but he's definitely off to a nice start this year in Louisville.

.321/.387/.500 with a HR, 5 RBI, 4 runs, and a couple of SB

Even with his poor hitting the last 3 years, he always maintained a solid OBP going .346 and .362 the last 2 seasons.

Hopefully we've got more depth than we thought if Ervin can keep up his hot start.

2. Likes:

androosh (04-14-2017),DocRed (04-18-2017),Donder (04-15-2017),Edd Roush (04-14-2017),lollipopcurve (04-14-2017),Old school 1983 (04-14-2017),OnBaseMachine (04-14-2017),RedsRocker (04-15-2017),Stingray (04-14-2017),_Sir_Charles_ (04-26-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phil Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJ View Post
    Ok so obviously, and understandably, Winker gets all the buzz about being the 'next man up' in the OF. But I feel like throwing a little love Phil's way. He had a very promising start to his career after the Reds drafted him in 2013, before hitting about .240 his next 3 seasons. It's only 7 games but he's definitely off to a nice start this year in Louisville.

.321/.387/.500 with a HR, 5 RBI, 4 runs, and a couple of SB

Even with his poor hitting the last 3 years, he always maintained a solid OBP going .346 and .362 the last 2 seasons.

Hopefully we've got more depth than we thought if Ervin can keep up his hot start.
    Always been a guy that can take a walk and hit for power. At worst I see him as a excellent utility outfielder or a trade piece. Hopefully puts together a nice season in L'Ville

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-14-2017),Tom Servo (04-14-2017)

2 home runs so far tonight.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (04-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Always been a guy that can take a walk and hit for power. At worst I see him as a excellent utility outfielder or a trade piece. Hopefully puts together a nice season in L'Ville
    I'm quite honestly not on the Phil Ervin bandwagon. I've got to see him put up a full season of decent numbers before I will give him the benefit of the doubt. That said, he has hit two 2-run homers in the game tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    I've got to see him put up a full season of decent numbers before I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
    What if I told you that he had good years in Daytona and Pensacola given the leagues and stadiums he was playing in.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10. Likes:

bellhead (04-15-2017),gilpdawg (04-17-2017),Hoosier Red (04-18-2017),pahster (04-19-2017),reds44 (04-18-2017)

Ervin has tremendous bat speed and a nice short swing. But he sells out for pull power too often. If he can learn to tame that, especially with two strikes, I think you've got a solid big league outfielder or a 4th OF who plays all 3 spots. SB threat too. The package plays, and hopefully he can make the adjustments needed to get to what is a pretty high ceiling.

12. Likes:

blakesta12 (04-18-2017),mth123 (04-15-2017),Old school 1983 (04-15-2017),OnBaseMachine (04-15-2017),REDREAD (04-15-2017),TheBigLebowski (04-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What if I told you that he had good years in Daytona and Pensacola given the leagues and stadiums he was playing in.
    I'm not saying he's without skills. He has good OBP, power and speed numbers. His batting average leaves a whole lot to be desired, even taking the leagues he is playing in into consideration. 25 qualifying players had higher batting averages in the Southern League last year and 46 in the FSL the year before that. Several each year were team mates, so the stadium thing doesn't completely hold water. I've only had the opportunity to see him in person a few times, so I'm still developing my personal opinion of Ervin, but just stating the obvious that for a #1 pick, his across the board stats have not been what you would have expected. So in my mind the jury is still out.

To be quite honest he has shown more all around game than Winker. Winker only has a hit tool. Ervin has better Speed Power Defense and Arm

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    To be quite honest he has shown more all around game than Winker. Winker only has a hit tool. Ervin has better Speed Power Defense and Arm
    I suspect the same. I'm glad they're both at AAA this year -- we'll see how they fare against the same competition.

NM

18. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (04-15-2017),pahster (04-19-2017),Sea Ray (04-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    I'm not saying he's without skills. He has good OBP, power and speed numbers. His batting average leaves a whole lot to be desired, even taking the leagues he is playing in into consideration. 25 qualifying players had higher batting averages in the Southern League last year and 46 in the FSL the year before that. Several each year were team mates, so the stadium thing doesn't completely hold water. I've only had the opportunity to see him in person a few times, so I'm still developing my personal opinion of Ervin, but just stating the obvious that for a #1 pick, his across the board stats have not been what you would have expected. So in my mind the jury is still out.

Ervin was greatly affected by the park in played in last year. His Road vs. Home stats are the evidence of this.

Home..
    Avs. OBP SLG OPS
    .191 .348 .312 .660

Away
    .282 .376 .477 .854
    Last edited by bellhead; 04-15-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I've been banging that drum for months (years?)..... Seriously.

Context matters. If you're gonna just scout a stat line at least have some context. I've been buying Ervin stock while everybody else is selling. Maybe I'll be wrong, but if I'm right I'm gonna gloat for years. 😁

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

21. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-18-2017),Tom Servo (04-18-2017),Z-Fly (04-17-2017)

I'm not buying Ervin yet. Seen too many hot streaks where people think he's found it, only to be followed by major slump. But I'll be watching.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 04-18-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Im on the Ervin bandwagon. I hope he holds it all together and puts together a great season. Likeable kid that is easy to root for.
    Go Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?