Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why? billy is fine as an everyday CFer. Just don't bat him leadoff.
    If he continues to carry a .514 OPS, Billy really isn't fine as an everyday CF no matter where you bat him in the lineup. His speed is game changing, but only if he can get on base. I love the defense and don't think he needs to OPS .750+ to be valuable; however, he absolutely has to be north of .650.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 04-26-2017 at 02:34 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    If he continues to carry a .514 OPS, Billy really isn't fine as an everyday CF no matter where you bat him in the lineup. His speed is game changing, but only if he can get on base. I love the defense and don't think he needs to OPS .750+ to be valuable; however, he absolutely has to be north of .650.
    He's the rare player that I'm not concerned at all about his OPS, only his OBP - which needs to be north of .320. That said, it is terribly difficult to get on base that often if you're swinging a wet noodle.

I'd only ever bat him 9th or 1st.
    Last edited by puca; 04-26-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why? billy is fine as an everyday CFer. Just don't bat him leadoff.
    Can't steal 1B. If Billy can't start getting on, I could see a Winker in LF, Schebler in CF and Duvall in RF sometime in June.
    Last edited by RedsRocker; 04-26-2017 at 07:41 PM.

His swing plane is always poor when he is going bad. When bad -he drops his hands and he doesn't have enough hip torque to produce anything but a weak fly ball to left field. Idk why they haven't worked on keeping his hands higher up throughout the at-bat (he'll never have enough torque to get anything done). I don't think he's a guy where you tinker with his swing --he needs to revamp it or you use him as a guy that pinch runs and then plays center field. If he swung a heavier bat -it would require him to keep his hands higher.

The above post was re Billy Hamilton.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    His swing plane is always poor when he is going bad. When bad -he drops his hands and he doesn't have enough hip torque to produce anything but a weak fly ball to left field. Idk why they haven't worked on keeping his hands higher up throughout the at-bat (he'll never have enough torque to get anything done). I don't think he's a guy where you tinker with his swing --he needs to revamp it or you use him as a guy that pinch runs and then plays center field. If he swung a heavier bat -it would require him to keep his hands higher.
    He can't hit a pitch above his waist with any authority from the left side. His swing is terrible unless he's swinging down on the ball. When he's swinging down on the left side, his swing isn't bad. When he's not.... his swing is terrible. It's slappy. Or worse. It just looks uncomfortable and awkward. But, he swings at that pitch too often.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    He's the rare player that I'm not concerned at all about his OPS, only his OBP - which needs to be north of .320. That said, it is terribly difficult to get on base that often if you're swinging a wet noodle.

I was going to say .350, but agree on the OPS part. His OPS is misleading because simply getting on base often turns into "extra-base hits."
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Another tear for Ervin. Since June 27, .391/.426/.516. But it's led by a ridiculous .481 BABIP.

http://redsminorleagues.com/2017/07/...nd-louisville/
    What’s been interesting is that he’s been a very different hitter since June began. In April and May he was hitting the ball to right field more than he was pulling the ball. That’s changed quite a bit since June began, going to right field about half as often. The other big change is that he’s gone from hitting ground balls at a 40% rate in April and May to 54% since the start of June.

He’s clearly been working on making adjustments at the plate. Outside of a terrible month of May, he’s actually hit well for the Louisville Bats this season. In 232 plate appearances outside of the month he’s hitting .295/.361/.444 with 21 walks and 42 strikeouts.

i just went to Doug's site and saw that article. He one ups me again and again and...

I've been keeping an eye on Ervin's climb back to respectability after his brutal May. At the moment, the only thing he's missing is the power.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

How good of an outfielder is he? Specifically CF, TIA

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    How good of an outfielder is he? Specifically CF, TIA
    Can handle it. Has enough speed. Not going to wow anyone - probably a below-average every day caliber guy out there, but if that's your back up, defensively it works.

15. Likes:

DocRed (07-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Can handle it. Has enough speed. Not going to wow anyone - probably a below-average every day caliber guy out there, but if that's your back up, defensively it works.
    Thanks, sounds like he's better than any backup we currently have on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post

I'd never say a word about Billy if the Reds were an AL team with a DH and 8 other strong bats in the same lineup. They aren't though and batting Peraza, the pitcher and Hamilton back-to-back-to-back is unacceptable and untenable. You're basically conceding 1/3 of your offensive opportunitiess before it starts.

Turn Off Ads?