Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Phil Ervin

Re: Phil Ervin

Well, small sample size and all that but Ervin has been pretty respectable since being called back out. Really good to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I woke up this morning after having a dream that the Reds re-signed Bailey to a 5-yr $100MM deal. I hope I'm wrong.
    Baseball Nerdists FB Group

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Well, small sample size and all that but Ervin has been pretty respectable since being called back out. Really good to see.
    I want to make a very passive aggressive post. But I won't. I'm trying to not argue with people.

It's been a fun 24 hours of watching Phillip Ervin play baseball.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I want to make a very passive aggressive post. But I won't. I'm trying to not argue with people.

It's been a fun 24 hours of watching Phillip Ervin play baseball.
    Almost like you knew what you were talking about all along.

Definitely nice to see him having a good debut-ish in the major leagues. Question: when the league catches up, will Ervin be able to adjust?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Almost like you knew what you were talking about all along.

Definitely nice to see him having a good debut-ish in the major leagues. Question: when the league catches up, will Ervin be able to adjust?
    What I wanted to post wasn't anything to the extent of "told you so". I have no idea if Ervin's going to be able to hit in the bigs or not. I know what I think he can do. But, I also know that nothing over the last 24 hours would change that. I don't care if he would have gone 0-7 with 7 K's or 7-7 with 7 home runs. The latter sure would have been fun to see, though.

6. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-17-2017)

Yeah, it's early, but it's almost like the guys who has shown OB skills all the way through the minors will be able to get OB in the majors too.

So...is it a foregone conclusion that Ervin goes down tomorrow when Schebler is activated? Anyone have any other, more creative ideas?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Not to be negative, but one thing that has bothered me about Ervin is that with each promotion he starts well then falls off. His first ten games at A+, AA, and AAA were all better than his overall numbers at those levels. It suggests that the pitchers made an adjustment and he did not counter. I like for it to be the other way around....start off poorly then get better as the hitter adjusts to the league. Let's hope that pattern does not hold up in his ML performance.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    So...is it a foregone conclusion that Ervin goes down tomorrow when Schebler is activated? Anyone have any other, more creative ideas?
    Tomorrow's roster move is easy. Anybody can see what that'll be. Feldman to the DL

11. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-17-2017),klw (08-17-2017)

Great to see our farmhands contributing. If nothing else it gives hope that we won't have to put up with guys like Kivlehan and Alcantara next yr. It's fun to see the things Ervin can do. The speed he showed scoring our 13th run today surprised even the Cubs

*Phillip
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

14. Likes:

Tuff Nut (08-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What I wanted to post wasn't anything to the extent of "told you so". I have no idea if Ervin's going to be able to hit in the bigs or not. I know what I think he can do. But, I also know that nothing over the last 24 hours would change that. I don't care if he would have gone 0-7 with 7 K's or 7-7 with 7 home runs. The latter sure would have been fun to see, though.
    There'd be little basis for I told you so. You've been dropping him in your rankings for several years now. He barely made the list on your most recent one. I can't say if he can hit in the bigs either but he has done so the past two days

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    *Phillip
    Said in your Eddie Murphy voice.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Not to be negative, but one thing that has bothered me about Ervin is that with each promotion he starts well then falls off. His first ten games at A+, AA, and AAA were all better than his overall numbers at those levels. It suggests that the pitchers made an adjustment and he did not counter. I like for it to be the other way around....start off poorly then get better as the hitter adjusts to the league. Let's hope that pattern does not hold up in his ML performance.
    He's been hitting the ball well for several months now in Triple-A....

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    There'd be little basis for I told you so. You've been dropping him in your rankings for several years now. He barely made the list on your most recent one. I can't say if he can hit in the bigs either but he has done so the past two days
    Well, if my post were going to be "I said he had a little bit of pop and can run the bases pretty well, and that he's absolutely got the skillset of a 4th outfielder, right this second", I think there's quite a bit of a basis for me to say I told you so, if I were one of those crazy people who would make such a statement based off of one-and-a-half games played.

Overton Window Breaker WrongVerb's Avatar

The Reds could do worse than 5-headed OF rotation of Duvall/Hamilton/Schebler/Winker/Ervin next year. I suspect it won't end up that way and one of those guys will be traded for pitching. But it's a nice problem to have.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Turn Off Ads?