Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Bloodletting at ESPN

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Bloodletting at ESPN

ESPN continues to be an absolute clown show -- they contract out to Barstool Sports to get a TV show (produced by Michael Davies, of "Men in Blazers" fame) from the ultra-popular "Pardon My Take" podcast, agree to allow it to be branded as a Barstool show, and then promptly cancel it a week after debut because their own employees took issue with Barstool brand being associated by ESPN.

This on the heels of their public dust-up with Jemele Hill -- the personality (along with Micheal Smith) they'd pushed as one of the new faces of their brand -- over personal tweets encouraging activism against the NFL.

It's like this company isn't satisfied with the slow death of bleeding subscribers...
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    ESPN continues to be an absolute clown show -- they contract out to Barstool Sports to get a TV show (produced by Michael Davies, of "Men in Blazers" fame) from the ultra-popular "Pardon My Take" podcast, agree to allow it to be branded as a Barstool show, and then promptly cancel it a week after debut because their own employees took issue with Barstool brand being associated by ESPN.

This on the heels of their public dust-up with Jemele Hill -- the personality (along with Micheal Smith) they'd pushed as one of the new faces of their brand -- over personal tweets encouraging activism against the NFL.

It's like this company isn't satisfied with the slow death of bleeding subscribers...
    It's not that I like ESPN but a lot of time when you listen to Fox Sports Radio it seems that all they do is trash ESPN. Some of it is justified but a lot of the time it seems like it's sour grapes or they are trashing them just because they are their rival. Almost makes me feel sorry for ESPN.

So, I say the over/under on Jemele Hill being fired is 6 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well, they can't possibly bring back Jamele Hill, but she'll be a weird kind of martyr when they fire her.

ESPN should NEVER have gotten into bed with Barstool Sports. I have visited the website in the past and for a guy its ok, easy reading, although I hardly ever frequent it anymore. But for an organization like ESPN it wasn't a good idea. The guys from "Men and Blazers" have never called themselves "smut peddlers" and really don't have a male chauvinistic attitude. I was shocked to see them partner with Barstool and not that shocked to see the marriage only lasted one episode.

The 6 should have been cancelled shortly after its debut. The 6 PM SC is the mainstay on the network, messing around with that isn't a good idea.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    ESPN should NEVER have gotten into bed with Barstool Sports. I have visited the website in the past and for a guy its ok, easy reading, although I hardly ever frequent it anymore. But for an organization like ESPN it wasn't a good idea. The guys from "Men and Blazers" have never called themselves "smut peddlers" and really don't have a male chauvinistic attitude. I was shocked to see them partner with Barstool and not that shocked to see the marriage only lasted one episode.

The 6 should have been cancelled shortly after its debut. The 6 PM SC is the mainstay on the network, messing around with that isn't a good idea.
    The people ESPN were trying to get out of their deal were Dan Katz (Big Cat) and PFT Commenter -- they're, far and away, the most marketable and successful people to come out of Barstool, and importantly, their content is almost completely devoid of the chauvinism that permeates the rest of Barstool. They're also incredibly well liked by influential ESPN personalities like SVP and Rachel Nichols.

Everyone comes out of this with egg on their face -- ESPN looks like fools for agreeing to put Barstool-branded content on their network while seemingly being ignorant of the type of content they generate, Barstool looks like sellouts for parterning with ESPN only to have it blow up in their face. Even the personality most publicly pushing back against the hire, Samantha Ponder, ended up having old tweets of hers dug up that were a bad look for her.

All completely avoidable.
    Cincinnati Here We Go.
    26 Years and Counting...

The people ESPN were trying to get out of their deal were Dan Katz (Big Cat) and PFT Commenter -- they're, far and away, the most marketable and successful people to come out of Barstool, and importantly, their content is almost completely devoid of the chauvinism that permeates the rest of Barstool. They're also incredibly well liked by influential ESPN personalities like SVP and Rachel Nichols.

Everyone comes out of this with egg on their face -- ESPN looks like fools for agreeing to put Barstool-branded content on their network while seemingly being ignorant of the type of content they generate, Barstool looks like sellouts for parterning with ESPN only to have it blow up in their face. Even the personality most publicly pushing back against the hire, Samantha Ponder, ended up having old tweets of hers dug up that were a bad look for her.

I do like PFTCommenter, but I still think Bucksfan is essentially right. There was never much upside in ESPN partnering with Barstool and as you said, it ended with everyone involved looking horrible.
    I dont care, Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. Hes in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.

Your personalities can like them, but you can't partner with them. Honestly it shocked me to hear that they partnering with them. You may be right that Big Cat and PFT Commenter were the two most marketable people, but there is a huge stench that comes along with Barstool. I mean did ESPN not go back and look at Portnoy's history? Were they really that tone def? To me its college humor, it appeals to a certain subset of the population, but once you get a little older, its pretty inappropriate.

ESPN is basically in the "we are losing money mode". At this point, I expect them to try any and every thing to see what they can do to rectify that.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Looks like more bloodletting is in the works.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn...medium=twitter
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

As long as Jemele Hill and Michael Smith are two of them.

I dont care about the political side of it, they are just awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

13. Likes:

bucksfan2 (10-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    As long as Jemele Hill and Michael Smith are two of them.

I don’t care about the political side of it, they are just awful.

ESPN has really lost its way. I must say I was never a Colin Cowherd fan when he was at ESPN but his show on Fox is much better than what he had at ESPN. It makes his ESPN show look like something run out of someone's garage. His show now has class and gets good guests. I also think Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless have a much better show that First Take at ESPN. Stephen A. Smith should be another goner.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-27-2017 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Mod Snip

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    ESPN has really lost its way. I must say I was never a Colin Cowherd fan when he was at ESPN but his show on Fox is much better than what he had at ESPN. It makes his ESPN show look like something run out of someone's garage. His show now has class and gets good guests. I also think Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless have a much better show that First Take at ESPN. Stephen A. Smith should be another goner.
    I listen to Cowherd's stuff now on Sirius because he is up against shows I just can't take. Stephen A Smith and Bomani Jones. That said, Cowherd isn't half the guy he was on ESPN. There are only a few analysts on Fox that I think are any good, Schlereth, Danny Kannell, and I don't mind Joel Klatt. But the rest of the people are hot garbage if you ask me. I "think" that ESPN still gets the best analysts, but they falsely believed that you could just replace them.

Frankly, the only show that I listen to or watch on a regular basis is Mike and Mike and they are doing away with that. While ESPN has tried to get more "hip" I they have pushed forward content that really dives into the racial undertones of society. Some of it is unavoidable, but for me, the 18-35 year old demographic that all networks want, it is off-putting. Most of their successful shows have done a good job of navigating that topic while not diving way too deep into it. Anymore you can't turn on the TV or Radio and not hear about Kaep or the Anthem protests. For me it sucks the life out of sports talk radio. I want to hear about the World Series, or the OSU/PSU slate, but most networks are just knee deep in Kaepernick.

Mike and Mike ends tomorrow after 17 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Mike and Mike ends tomorrow after 17 years.
    I do listen to them in the mornings but I think it's time. Let's get some new blood in there. Although a Wingo/Golic show isn't exactly new blood

Turn Off Ads?